Joe Satriani: “They’re gonna see someone who’s hell-bent on being the most respectful guitar player to the legacy of Eddie”

I like Van Halen ok but I don’t worship EVH. Honestly he seemed like a dick from what I’ve read.

I’ve got tickets to see this Satriani/Hagar thing in Nashville and I’m looking forward to it. Satch seems like a cool, down to earth dude, I don’t get all the hate

Kinda funny, I’ve got more love for Ed’s accomplishments and the mark he made than a lot of the music. There’s rarely a VH tune I hear that I don’t like, but I never got INTO VH with them being a favorite band or anything. Ed’s playing is really the only thing that draws me to the majority of the songs and I’m too far passed the “I’m a guitar player” phase for that to be satisfying enough.

Or a better way of saying it, there’s no fucking way I’d listen to the majority of VH’s work if Eddie weren’t in the band. As where a band like Pantera, I love every album and it’s not just Dime making that happen.

I’m the same boat, I like van halen plenty but certainly not to the worship levels some do here. van hagar is terrible.

I’m the same boat, I like van halen plenty but certainly not to the worship levels some do here. van hagar is terrible.

Oh, I’m a Van Hagar dude. Most likely because I started playing right before Balance came out and those were my first VH experiences as a guitar player, seeing all the MTV coverage and knowing EVH was a god but not really knowing the music yet. If I actually made a list I probably love both eras equally, but I always associate them with when I first got into them.

^ Wait, you love both eras equally or are you just a casual fan? :D

I know I shouldn't give this whole Sammy Satch thing so much shit but I really don't care for either one of them (at this point in my life) and Ed was the driving force behind a lot of their music I like so the whole thing just rubs me wrong. :dunno:

^ Wait, you love both eras equally or are you just a casual fan? :D

I know I shouldn't give this whole Sammy Satch thing so much shit but I really don't care for either one of them (at this point in my life) and Ed was the driving force behind a lot of their music I like so the whole thing just rubs me wrong. :dunno:

It’s probably equal at this point, I just ways associate VH with the Hagar era because that was my point of entry. I don’t think I could call myself more than a casual fan just due to how much I don’t listen to them.

If this were a band going out to write VH-style tunes, I’d have some misgivings about it, but this is the last time anyone is going to see someone who was actually in VH playing those songs with that level of production in a setting you’d see VH at back in the day. Like I said about the Pantera tribute, this isn’t a thing for people to watch on YouTube and critique, being at the actual show with the energy of the crowd and the dB’s hitting you in the face is where it’s at.

5:50 "(my) fingers are crossed that once I start playin um...Aint Talkin Bout Love....and I feel that that do do do do do

Back