Just out of curiosity...

paulyc":e5ajnbfm said:
So Chub, what is the gear of choice now ? Would be interested to know the answer to that...

Stock Marshalls and any number of different pedals in front depending on if it's my JCM800 or one of my Super Leads.

I did just pick up a modded Marshall by a modder who kind of flies under the radar around Rig Talk. It is too soon to say for sure, honeymoon period and all, but as of now I LOVE it. We'll see where I am in a month.

paulyc":1m69joku said:
I don't know if you can say that...even as far back as Hendrix and Blackmore there were modded Marshalls... Randy Rhoads used the one wire mod, most of the LA guys used either Jose or Lee Jackson, so there have been A LOT of recorded tones that relied on non stock amps.

Yes, they might of been modded but not to the extent of a Jose mod or any of the other modern mods. Still a Marshall amp with slight tweeks. Now the 80's were completely different and there were the Jose, Tim Caswell, and Lee Jackson mods and other's. Randy's mod was not that significant and he got a lot of his tone from combo of the Marshall and the MXR Distortion +.

I agree with you maniac, but a mod is a mod...Hendrix had his amps running on 6550s (supposedly) back then, and Blackmore had the first master volume, plus the Dallas Rangemaster treble booster going into a Revox tape recorder then into the amp (using the Revox as a preamp of sorts, no it wasn't for tape echo).

As far as Randy, I'd say it was the one wire mod, the Dist +, and the eq pedal, plus the distortion pickups in his guitars.

Chubtone":2ms87qm8 said:
paulyc":2ms87qm8 said:
So Chub, what is the gear of choice now ? Would be interested to know the answer to that...

Stock Marshalls and any number of different pedals in front depending on if it's my JCM800 or one of my Super Leads.

I did just pick up a modded Marshall by a modder who kind of flies under the radar around Rig Talk. It is too soon to say for sure, honeymoon period and all, but as of now I LOVE it. We'll see where I am in a month.
Do tell this secret modders name...is it psychodave by chance ?

glip22":gndrcpcm said:
There's a huge difference between an artist who can paint freehand and another who paints by numbers. Cameron can bring electronics to life out of what he hears and feels. Others can design, use cad, build from a cost effective production standpoint, bring an amp to market, and fill orders. Different talents based on tried and true circuits. There's not that much rocket science to it.

I agree with this... Ive see this happening on the forum even now.. "build journals" and nutt hugging but then when you buy it- and it sounds like a peavey- it then sits in the classifieds forever as no one wants it... sad 3k dollar lesson

paulyc":e2ocr8yt said:

No. It's a fairly well known guy who has been modding for years. he has just never been the flavor of the month or Rig Talk or Harmony Central.

To achieve the grail tone takes an understanding at a minimum, but it was hit on the head above...u haveto have an ear. jose did not play, but he was an electrical engineer....with an ear. likewise, all of the top amp builders have this same trait...trial n error n a great ear for tone.

u have to follow the physics n need for certain ideal load condition, or current draw for the application whether it be primary taps, secondary, heaters, dc heaters, relay or switching taps....whatever. the majic comes from do u want more gain or more distortion, do u want sag or no sag, linear or stepped boost, single or multichannel. design intent tells u the transformers to use n general design. ears n tweaking finish off the journey with one tweak at a time from baseline. oops, too muddy there. if u kniw what to do to get rid of the mud, u do that then move on to the next thing....need more gain, less gain, brighter, etc.

Mark spent enough time working on amps and with jose n has an ear for tone. His stuff is amazing n the tone that most people have to take a high dollar amp, shit ton of effects n eqipment, n custom pickups just to try n get close to his plugging direct.

i dont have alot of love for marshall. he is the king of loud, but not tone n amps need a variety of gain n color pedals to get good tone...unless u are a low gain crosby stills folks player or something. besides fhat, their early amps like jtm were just rips of fender n cbs n i find marshalls to be noisy messes!

no, mark makes great stuff. thats why people want it. fhats why were hear talking about it.

I think Jose got lucky because he wasn't a player, or maybe he had great players around him that could put into words what they wanted/needed from their amps...Mark is a great player, and anybody that likes/loves how he sounds playing his amps will probably like/love how they sound playing one of his amps...a lot of it is a feel thing more than a sound/tone thing...the way the amp reacts to the pick, if it's stiff or has a bit of give, etc...

paulyc":bfk7o94j said:
I think Jose got lucky because he wasn't a player, or maybe he had great players around him that could put into words what they wanted/needed from their amps...Mark is a great player, and anybody that likes/loves how he sounds playing his amps will probably like/love how they sound playing one of his amps...a lot of it is a feel thing more than a sound/tone thing...the way the amp reacts to the pick, if it's stiff or has a bit of give, etc...

I am sure people would love Mark's mods and from what I heard they sound pretty damn good, but in the end he still has ripped off numerous people so this stuff is kind of mute unless you are good friends with him or knows someone who knows him to where you can get an amp modded or you would have to buy a used one.

Now this one does sound badass!!! I wish I had this kind of talent to make a kick ass amp!!!

If Brad, Dave, and Rob get the So Cal brand out people will have that chance... I love my Brad era Atomica and CCV, but I've also heard the Pre Brad amps were better...who knows for sure...I wouldn't send an amp to Mark anyway...too much drama , but I'm seriously considering Dan Gower for the Joe Holmes Jose with the insert loop...already have the PCM 41, two Roland delays, an H&H V200 power amp, 3 Marshall cabs, a Vox wah wah, a Univibe clone on order, and a '79 Strat getting the treatment (maple neck re-work, J80 pickup and Floyd installed). I LOVE the tones on Farmikos...heavy but clear.

paulyc":2uicqf6l said:
If Brad, Dave, and Rob get the So Cal brand out people will have that chance... I love my Brad era Atomica and CCV, but I've also heard the Pre Brad amps were better...who knows for sure...I wouldn't send an amp to Mark anyway...too much drama , but I'm seriously considering Dan Gower for the Joe Holmes Jose with the insert loop...already have the PCM 41, two Roland delays, an H&H V200 power amp, 3 Marshall cabs, a Vox wah wah, a Univibe clone on order, and a '79 Strat getting the treatment (maple neck re-work, J80 pickup and Floyd installed). I LOVE the tones on Farmikos...heavy but clear.

The Jose mod that Joe Holmes/Sykes uses smokes!!! I played a Fortin modded one that a former RT member owns and it was the real deal!!! Amazing!!! I have three Roland SDE300s, but I am happy with the Atomica and Gower KK++. If I had the extra cash, I would get the Jose Mod just for a different kind of tone. Joe Holmes tone destroys!!!

Chubtone":172xgxuk said:
paulyc":172xgxuk said:

Dave Bray? BFG? Egnater? :p I have modded Marshalls by Morin, Belov/Bradshaw?, Fortin , BFG, Rockstah, Egnater, Don Butler, VoodooAmps, Dan Gower, and probably others I'm forgetting about. . Fortin is my favorite one, but they're all great and very cool . Eric

ericb":ozxl6anz said:
Chubtone":ozxl6anz said:
paulyc":ozxl6anz said:

Dave Bray? BFG? Egnater? :p I have modded Marshalls by Morin, Belov/Bradshaw?, Fortin , BFG, Rockstah, Egnater, Don Butler, VoodooAmps, Dan Gower, and probably others I'm forgetting about. . Fortin is my favorite one, but they're all great and very cool . Eric

I love my Fortin/Gower KK++ and Dan is one of the coolest guys in the business!!

paulyc":2r6nbd2z said:
Chubtone":2r6nbd2z said:
paulyc":2r6nbd2z said:

If Dave were the magician, he would have learned the trick from Mark. :LOL: :LOL:

This thread has gotten hilarious. :D

Back