Larry DINO JM802 Video

I hear a bit of compression in the overall tone in a Bogner kind of way that I'm not really a fan of but I could see why many would like it. The lows are nice a tight yet there is a nice sparkle in the highs which is really cool.

Probably one of the best Larry amp demos I've every heard and it does do the amp justice..... Pretty killer aggressive, gainy saturated tone. I would venture to say if the gain was backed off a bit that compression that I mentioned might relent some and become nice and crunchy.

I had to amend my comment from above my initial listening some. There is alot more crunch in the base tone than I initially heard. Even with higher gain settings, that's hard to do once the gain gets to a certain point of saturation, Wow, pretty cool, IMO.

Cool Video Eddy.... thanks for posting Squarehead. I guess Larry's design has been vindicated here....................................

It's one of those you either like it or you don't deal like with Bogner, Friedman, Cameron, Mesa, and so on.

Nice to finally hear a Larry in the wild recorded well.:yes:

Last edited:
Love Eddy's demo, but I take issue with "never recorded in the wild" - I have demos posted back forever 😂👌
I'm not knocking the clips you have posted those were good too... but hearing another Larry with the same characteristics shows there is method to Larry's madness.

I would almost liken what I hear in this clip to kind of what I hear in Mesa IIC+ tones in a way, kind of what I hear on the Black album and some Dream Theater with that thick saturated gain structure but the Larry has just enough Marshall in there but I would say in a more modern way.

It is a great sounding amp.... Is it 6,000 to 10,000 bucks worth.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......................................................:p:yes:

I'm not knocking the clips you have posted those were good too... but hearing another Larry with the same characteristics shows there is method to Larry's madness.

I would almost liken what I hear in this clip to kind of what I hear in Mesa IIC+ tones in a way, kind of what I hear on the Black album and some Dream Theater with that thick saturated gain structure but the Larry has just enough Marshall in there but I would say in a more modern way.

It is a great sounding amp.... Is it 6,000 to 10,000 bucks worth.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......................................................:p:yes:
I see what you did there....

Haha

There is most CERTAINLY method to it, that's for sure. Compared to how other amps work for my playing style, it's definitely worth it.
Dude. Your tracks just auto play sometimes for me on soundcloud. I am a big fan of your clips.

Hey, thanks man. I really do appreciate that alot. I use alot of different mics and positions, but everything on those tracks is indeed my Larry. Appreciate the kind words

While I am not on a first name basis with Larry I have know him for many years through the Metro amp forum circa 2005. Next to George Larry was one of the most knowledgeable and helpful individuals willing to share his vast electrical amplifier knowledge bar none. He would take the time to answer questions of the newbies and share insights of technical knowledge he did not need to share.

Larry for that reason is at the top of my list for a good person award and he builds amps like Rembrandt paints paintings...the wire/lead dress, the selection of components, locations of circuits(all placed specifically for reason) and manufacturers due to their affect on tone, the guy knows his shit through and through and applies it like a master.

How do I know this, I have never heard a Fortin sound like that above clip, maybe close but not like that clip. Kudos to Larry.

To some yes... it is worth it...for me it is not, that doesn't take away from Larry's tonal achievements whatsover. To me Larry is like a mad scientist and I respect that in him and think his amp sound killer. For my tastes it wouldn't be worth it but I can appreciate the tone and what went into making it. :yes:

While I can respect and admire a Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ tone and like it, I don't own one and it would not be worth it to me in the price ranges they sell, that's all I meant by my comment.

You love it and I can see why, many would choose a Ferrari over a 1970 Dodge challenger because it is refined, but some just love the loud, clanky, archaic Challenger with all it idiosyncrasies, it's all good in guitar tone wonderland.:2thumbsup:

Back