Larry DINO JM802 Video

Eddy Lenz does a very nice job here👍

Kudos to Eddy Lenz for his awesome playing and his ability, to present this old Larry rebuild in this great manner.
Moreover he seems to be one of those not so many, who's able to dial in an amp this way, that it sounds at its best (y)

I must admit, that I've really been astonished about the sound of one of my very first babies after hearing the video...
... astonished, because after checking my old (still hand drawn) notes I've recognized, that the circuit design of this amp I've already finished more than 30 years ago on Feb 13-th of 1991 o_O

IMG_3375.JPG

Hence this amp I've built (rebuilt) already early in 1991 and I can't remember, that it ever has been back for service, update or upgrade

Last edited:
The amp sounds phenomenal. It really does and I want to take nothing from it. Hearing that sort of snarling tone, I was not surprised to see that he was using a Marshall 1960V cab. To me, those Marshall-label G12 Vintage speakers have that sort of sound. Again, I'm at all trying to imply that it sounds good only because of the cab, but it's obviously part of what we're hearing.

The amp sounds phenomenal. It really does and I want to take nothing from it. Hearing that sort of snarling tone, I was not surprised to see that he was using a Marshall 1960V cab. To me, those Marshall-label G12 Vintage speakers have that sort of sound. Again, I'm at all trying to imply that it sounds good only because of the cab, but it's obviously part of what we're hearing.

It's greenbacks.....a least in this video...

Kudos to Eddy Lenz for his awesome playing and his ability, to present this old Larry rebuild in this great manner.
Moreover he seems to be one of those not so many, who's able to dial in an amp this way, that it sounds at its best (y)

I must admit, that I've really been astonished about the sound of one of my very first babies after hearing the video...
... astonished, because after checking my old (still hand drawn) notes I've recognized, that the circuit design of this amp I've already finished more than 30 years ago on Feb 13-th of 1991 o_O

View attachment 83630

Hence this amp I've built (rebuilt) already early in 1991 and I can't remember, that it ever has been back for service, update or upgrade
Thanks, Larry!

I replaced the tubes, and put new F&T filter caps in it. I also increased the value for the preamp filtering a bit because it was very low, which I think you would have done as well haha.

I was actually wondering, is there a tonal reason why you're using logarithmic pots for the treble, middle and presence? It especially makes the treble and middle pots extremely sensitive. Just a very small change can mess up the sound lol.

Thanks, but I used a 1991 Marshall 1960BX with the original 25W Greenbacks lol

Thanks, Larry!
Anytime :giggle:
I replaced the tubes, and put new F&T filter caps in it. I also increased the value for the preamp filtering a bit because it was very low, which I think you would have done as well haha.
In my very early designs I've choosen a 10µF for the filtering of the input tube.
The idea behind was to obtain some more sag, when using high output PU's
But just a year or two later I've switched to 22µF in this spot, to get the amp still tighter and quicker in response.
I was actually wondering, is there a tonal reason why you're using logarithmic pots for the treble, middle and presence? It especially makes the treble and middle pots extremely sensitive. Just a very small change can mess up the sound lol.
In my early days first I've experimented with CTS pots, where the LOG/AUD taper was 20% to 25% resistance at half turn and I was very pleased with the sensitivity result.
Then I've placed a custom order at Piher/Portugal of 250 pcs. each value, but as I've got the pots it turned out, that their LOG just has been 10% to 12% resistance at half turn. Beginner's issues and my bad, that I haven't cleared this before placing my order.
In 1994 I've switched to Alpha pots in all my builds & rebuilds and this prob was solved since then.
Just a year later I've decided to use LIN tapers for the Middle & Treble controls.
As for the Presence control I've kept the LOG taper, although a REV LOG taper as already before with the Piher's.

In 1996 at a time, as the DINO circuit already was updated 5 times I've also changed the circuit of the power stage.
Since then the Presence control again is a LOG taper, but the Reactance control became a REV LOG taper.

Btw. no prob on my side, to disclose several more of my 'secrets', just feel free 😉

Anytime :giggle:

In my very early designs I've choosen a 10µF for the filtering of the input tube.
The idea behind was to obtain some more sag, when using high output PU's
But just a year or two later I've switched to 22µF in this spot, to get the amp still tighter and quicker in response.

In my early days first I've experimented with CTS pots, where the LOG/AUD taper was 20% to 25% resistance at half turn and I was very pleased with the sensitivity result.
Then I've placed a custom order at Piher/Portugal of 250 pcs. each value, but as I've got the pots it turned out, that their LOG just has been 10% to 12% resistance at half turn. Beginner's issues and my bad, that I haven't cleared this before placing my order.
In 1994 I've switched to Alpha pots in all my builds & rebuilds and this prob was solved since then.
Just a year later I've decided to use LIN tapers for the Middle & Treble controls.
As for the Presence control I've kept the LOG taper, although a REV LOG taper as already before with the Piher's.

In 1996 at a time, as the DINO circuit already was updated 5 times I've also changed the circuit of the power stage.
Since then the Presence control again is a LOG taper, but the Reactance control became a REV LOG taper.

Btw. no prob on my side, to disclose several more of my 'secrets', just feel free 😉
Just build me a single channel, no loop high gainer and no one gets hurt

Back