Mesa Mark III

I had a Red Stripe simulclass Mark III for many years, it was a great amp. Definitely raw and pissed off. I kinda miss it sometimes. The red stripe as you know is closest to the IIC+ of all the stripes.

I can’t think of a “must have”, and Beyond Black was right about a boost/od not being necessary, but fwiw the Marks I’ve had (III or otherwise) took those types of pedals well.
i’ve seen others discuss pedals and wondering if this a viable alternative to the cost of shipping off for a mod.

i’ve seen others discuss pedals and wondering if this a viable alternative to the cost of shipping off for a mod.
I’ll say going from + to ++ the difference of adding a pedal is pretty close but going from III to III+ is nuts different and not something a pedal can do.

I’ll also say anyone that plays with a pedal always on should just get the ++ mod and make life easier. It also adds value being able to go from + to ++ switchable and anyone sending a mod in should also do the R2 mod for gig friendliness.

I’ll say going from + to ++ the difference of adding a pedal is pretty close but going from III to III+ is nuts different and not something a pedal can do.

I’ll also say anyone that plays with a pedal always on should just get the ++ mod and make life easier. It also adds value being able to go from + to ++ switchable and anyone sending a mod in should also do the R2 mod for gig friendliness.
I almost didn’t start this thread given how many times the stripe comparison has been done over the years, but I’m glad I did. Stuff like this is super helpful and informative.

I had a Red Stripe simulclass Mark III for many years, it was a great amp. Definitely raw and pissed off. I kinda miss it sometimes. The red stripe as you know is closest to the IIC+ of all the stripes.
Careful!!! You'll piss off all the diehard IIC+ aficionados 😉

Isn't it the no stripe version that's the closest to the C+ since they had the "grail" 105PT?

I've never played a C+ but my friend had an HRG and when he plays my red stripe he said it has way more sharp treble and the highs in general sit different. Also said my III is more percussive and the C+ has more bounce. If that's the case, I can see the appeal because that would be more fun to play. I still wouldn't change a thing with my red stripe though.

Careful!!! You'll piss off all the diehard IIC+ aficionados 😉

Isn't it the no stripe version that's the closest to the C+ since they had the "grail" 105PT?

I've never played a C+ but my friend had an HRG and when he plays my red stripe he said it has way more sharp treble and the highs in general sit different. Also said my III is more percussive and the C+ has more bounce. If that's the case, I can see the appeal because that would be more fun to play. I still wouldn't change a thing with my red stripe though.
I actually don’t like the C+ tone. Not enough saturation for my taste and the III++ delivers the aggression and saturation in spades. The IV came out right around the period tube quality took a total shit and couldn’t handle plate voltages of prior revisions so they cater to more features and more tube friendly, lifespan centralistic designs. In my eyes the III blue/red/green are the best revisions out there.

I don't know about alternative, but I like the rhythm set for crunchy and then kick it with an OD to tighten it up and get it a bit gainier. Really, the classic SD-1 does great for this.

I don't know about alternative, but I like the rhythm set for crunchy and then kick it with an OD to tighten it up and get it a bit gainier. Really, the classic SD-1 does great for this.
I didn’t want to be the one to say it but I’ve always been told SD-1s are excellent pedals for Mesa mark series. Mine loves it but I use an SD-1 for everything so I’m impartial.

I didn’t want to be the one to say it but I’ve always been told SD-1s are excellent pedals for Mesa mark series. Mine loves it but I use an SD-1 for everything so I’m impartial.

Me too on the SD-1. I've tried a pile of various OD's (and built a ton of OD's, fuzzes, and distortion boxes) but almost always return to the trusty old SD-1 in the end.

IMG_3510.jpeg
IMG_3511.jpeg
My 3+ Blue Stripe SRG. I had Mike install a Pentode / Triode switch when he did the 3+/R2 mods and service. I asked him to install the R2 on the underside of the chassis so I could still use the Direct Out. You never know when you might need to slave it into a Strategy 400. 😏 He also installed the orange pilot light. I got a stash of those I found at an electronics supply house. The Pentode / Triode switch is a nice option. It drops the wattage down to around 15 watts on Triode and definitely sweetens the tone.

View attachment 305757View attachment 305760My 3+ Blue Stripe SRG. I had Mike install a Pentode / Triode switch when he did the 3+/R2 mods and service. I asked him to install the R2 on the underside of the chassis so I could still use the Direct Out. You never know when you might need to slave it into a Strategy 400. 😏 He also installed the orange pilot light. I got a stash of those I found at an electronics supply house. The Pentode / Triode switch is a nice option. It drops the wattage down to around 15 watts on Triode and definitely sweetens the tone.
Oh man, that is a clean combo. And I dig the orange pilot. How much more did you like the blue stripe after the + mod?

Man, every time I read these posts I have second thoughts of throwing up my green stripe for sale. I don't use it much, but what it does it does so well.

I think Mike had serviced it around 13 years ago when I called Mesa a couple years ago to check on service records for it. Had new filter caps and the reverb fixed, plus the R2 mod installed. I've been tempted to send it in for + or ++ but every time I call he's not doing mods. Guess I need to get off my ass and get that done as well before he's retired for real.

Oh man, that is a clean combo. And I dig the orange pilot. How much more did you like the blue stripe after the + mod?
The + mod warmed it up a little and made it smoother. Having the R2 volume knob lets you balance all of the channels. Throw in the Pentode / Triode switch and it might be the most versatile vintage amp I own.

The + mod warmed it up a little and made it smoother. Having the R2 volume knob lets you balance all of the channels. Throw in the Pentode / Triode switch and it might be the most versatile vintage amp I own.
Right, that seems to be the general consensus on what the mods actually do. I was wanting to know how much more you liked the amp after the mods. Assuming you enjoyed the blue stripe before the + mod, were you blown away post mod? Or were you kinda unsatisfied with the stock amp, and the + salvaged it for you?

I already love the stock III, so I’m really looking forward to how much it’s improved with the +. Part of me was concerned that the III would lose some of its raw, grindy aggression post mod, but most people seem to think it’s still just as aggressive, if not more so, after having the work done.

Right, that seems to be the general consensus on what the mods actually do. I was wanting to know how much more you liked the amp after the mods. Assuming you enjoyed the blue stripe before the + mod, were you blown away post mod? Or were you kinda unsatisfied with the stock amp, and the + salvaged it for you?

I already love the stock III, so I’m really looking forward to how much it’s improved with the +. Part of me was concerned that the III would lose some of its raw, grindy aggression post mod, but most people seem to think it’s still just as aggressive, if not more so, after having the work done.
I liked all of my 3's better after they were modded. A little too harsh sounding stock. They're still more aggressive than my c's after the mods.

Man, every time I read these posts I have second thoughts of throwing up my green stripe for sale. I don't use it much, but what it does it does so well.

I think Mike had serviced it around 13 years ago when I called Mesa a couple years ago to check on service records for it. Had new filter caps and the reverb fixed, plus the R2 mod installed. I've been tempted to send it in for + or ++ but every time I call he's not doing mods. Guess I need to get off my ass and get that done as well before he's retired for real.
I would

Back