Mesa Mark III

I liked all of my 3's better after they were modded. A little too harsh sounding stock. They're still more aggressive than my c's after the mods.
So you find the amp less aggressive after the mods. Interesting to me how some people find the mods add more aggression despite making them smoother, and some think the stock amp is more aggressive. When I get my second Mark I guess I’ll just have to have one modded and keep the other stock to do a comparison.

So you find the amp less aggressive after the mods. Interesting to me how some people find the mods add more aggression despite making them smoother, and some think the stock amp is more aggressive. When I get my second Mark I guess I’ll just have to have one modded and keep the other stock to do a comparison.
I had 3 different Mark III coli’s all sent to Mike B for the ++ mod (one member here has one of the blue stripe mark iii++ coli’s I had). The reason I think you hear mixed opinions on its aggression and smoothness is that since it gets closer to the iic+ voicing after the mod (still not the same sound or feel as a real c+ though) the highs get smoothed out (still harsher highs than iic+’s though), but the mid and uppermid frequencies are a bit more gritty/less smooth/less scooped, so overall I actually interpret it as a more aggressive sound and also found the iic+‘s more aggressive overall vs iii’s despite the highs being smoother. Sorta like it redistributes the aggression in the right areas and gets rid of it where it’s not as necessary and so also I think makes it a bit more musical/less messy sounding from the harsher highs

I had 3 different Mark III coli’s all sent to Mike B for the ++ mod (one member here has one of the blue stripe mark iii++ coli’s I had). The reason I think you hear mixed opinions on its aggression and smoothness is that since it gets closer to the iic+ voicing after the mod (still not the same sound or feel as a real c+ though) the highs get smoothed out (still harsher highs than iic+’s though), but the mid and uppermid frequencies are a bit more gritty/less smooth/less scooped, so overall I actually interpret it as a more aggressive sound and also found the iic+‘s more aggressive overall vs iii’s despite the highs being smoother. Sorta like it redistributes the aggression in the right areas and gets rid of it where it’s not as necessary and so also I think makes it a bit more musical/less messy sounding from the harsher highs
Great info, thanks! Also, I’m impressed that you managed to score not one, not two, but three Coli’s. I don’t remember how many of those were manufactured, but I know it wasn’t many.

Careful!!! You'll piss off all the diehard IIC+ aficionados 😉

Isn't it the no stripe version that's the closest to the C+ since they had the "grail" 105PT?

I've never played a C+ but my friend had an HRG and when he plays my red stripe he said it has way more sharp treble and the highs in general sit different. Also said my III is more percussive and the C+ has more bounce. If that's the case, I can see the appeal because that would be more fun to play. I still wouldn't change a thing with my red stripe though.
Just personal opinion, IMO the no/black stripe is the closest to a IIC+. Starting with red was a significant departure towards hair metal.

This iPhone clip I did to my ears tells the story pretty well of what I think are the "closest to C+" amps.

Here's a close mic reamp I did including a III+ as well. There are guys that say once a III is + modded, the stripe no longer matters. While I've had 2 III+ and a III++, I've not had them at the same time to say if I agree or not.

I’ll say going from + to ++ the difference of adding a pedal is pretty close but going from III to III+ is nuts different and not something a pedal can do.

I’ll also say anyone that plays with a pedal always on should just get the ++ mod and make life easier. It also adds value being able to go from + to ++ switchable and anyone sending a mod in should also do the R2 mod for gig friendliness.
I agree with the first sentence.

However, I sort of disagree with the second sentence. With a III, going III+ is always worth it unless you just want the harsh hair metal thing. However, with the exception of the IVb, for the sound I'm going for in my band there is no such thing as a Mark that's tight enough without a good boost. Especially the C+, it's the worst live in that regard. Live I would ALWAYS prefer a boosted C+ over a C++ or a boosted III+ over a III++ because of how it tightens it up to devastating levels. The extra +s make it more aggressive, but it does not tighten it up like a boost will.

That said, at quiet bedroom levels I do tend to prefer the ++. IMO.

Just personal opinion, IMO the no/black stripe is the closest to a IIC+. Starting with red was a significant departure towards hair metal.

This iPhone clip I did to my ears tells the story pretty well of what I think are the "closest to C+" amps.

Here's a close mic reamp I did including a III+ as well. There are guys that say once a III is + modded, the stripe no longer matters. While I've had 2 III+ and a III++, I've not had them at the same time to say if I agree or not.

My only no stripe was a coli, but would agree it was for sure the closest iii I had to being like the iic+’s and I had 2 blue stripe coli’s (later ++ modded), a green stripe, tried a red stripe ++ coli, regular red stripes and purple stripes. I’m guessing guys that say red is the closest maybe haven’t tried the no stripe versions

And IME it’s also nonsense the way some guys think once they’re modded it doesn’t matter anymore the donor amp. That’s sort of like saying if I and Ronnie Coleman took the same performance enhancing drugs we would look the same. Yeah sure we would. My no stripe coli after the ++ was quite different and more impressive to me than the blue stripe coli’s after also getting the ++ mod

Last edited:
I didn’t want to be the one to say it but I’ve always been told SD-1s are excellent pedals for Mesa mark series. Mine loves it but I use an SD-1 for everything so I’m impartial.
I don't really like the SD-1 with my IV. I prefer my OD808, cuts less low end and is less noisy.

That's one of the reasons why I prefer the IV over the III. The red stripe III I had was hair metal in a box, very 80's sounding, it was extremely difficult to get something more 90's or 00's sounding out of that amp so I sold it and got the IV and am pretty happy I made that choice.

My only no stripe was a coli, but would agree it was for sure the closest iii I had to being like the iic+’s and I had 2 blue stripe coli’s (later ++ modded), a green stripe, tried a red stripe ++ coli, regular red stripes and purple stripes. I’m guessing guys that say red is the closest maybe haven’t tried the no stripe versions

And IME it’s also nonsense the way some guys think once they’re modded it doesn’t matter anymore the donor amp. That’s sort of like saying if I and Ronnie Coleman took the same performance enhancing drugs we would look the same. Yeah sure we would. My no stripe coli after the ++ was quite different and more impressive to me than the blue stripe coli’s after also getting the ++ mod
I believe what those folks are saying is that after the + mod the circuit is the same regardless of stripe. Of course any native amp-to-amp differences (which can be significant) are still present. That said, I don't know if this is true or not.

At any rate, the III+ amps I've had have all, to me, been far superior to all stock IIIs I've had. IMO this is the way.

Careful!!! You'll piss off all the diehard IIC+ aficionados 😉

Isn't it the no stripe version that's the closest to the C+ since they had the "grail" 105PT?

I've never played a C+ but my friend had an HRG and when he plays my red stripe he said it has way more sharp treble and the highs in general sit different. Also said my III is more percussive and the C+ has more bounce. If that's the case, I can see the appeal because that would be more fun to play. I still wouldn't change a thing with my red stripe though.
Yep, the black or no stripe is closest BUT only if it has the 105.

I had a Red and Purple stripe DRG IIIs.....it's absolutely laughable when anyone compares a III to a C+. Like, let's take 4 blankets off the cab difference. I don't say that to 'boost the value of my C+'.....I've been without a C+ now for 4 yrs.
It's like, you have a C+....then you compare a builder's version of a C+, without any of the components/transformers etc. They aren't even close. There's no harshness in a C+....while in any III (not including a Coliseum) you can't DIAL OUT the harshness. It's just embedded in the upper mids/highs.
C+ cost a stupid amount of $$ these days, on that I agree. But there's no way anyone with a straight face compares a C+ to a III...if they do? Then they've never heard or actually even seen a C+.

IME the Black Stripe has the smoothest high end of all III’s, making it the most similar III to a C+.
That being said they’ll still get nasty af when set up to do so.

Anyone know the details of the three common mods talked about in these discussions:
  • +
  • ++
  • R2
I think that's right. Someone let me know if I'm wrong.

Just curious as I can't image these mods are that involved and these circuit boards look pretty simple to work on, if perhaps a bit of a PITA to get to components.

My black stripe is a beast. totally different than any other amp I own. I just wish the pedals were built as a single pedal, not a bunch of clunky card decks.

I believe what those folks are saying is that after the + mod the circuit is the same regardless of stripe. Of course any native amp-to-amp differences (which can be significant) are still present. That said, I don't know if this is true or not.

At any rate, the III+ amps I've had have all, to me, been far superior to all stock IIIs I've had. IMO this is the way.
That I don’t know. All I know is when I had compared them all (my 2 blue stripe and no stripe ++ coli) the 2 blues sounded the same to me other than the volume tapers being very different, while the No stripe ++ sounded and felt very different and I remember the red stripe ++ coli I tried also being a little different, but wasn’t able to compare that one to another. My iic+ coli (started life as a b coli) killed all 3 to me when compared

I had a Red and Purple stripe DRG IIIs.....it's absolutely laughable when anyone compares a III to a C+. Like, let's take 4 blankets off the cab difference. I don't say that to 'boost the value of my C+'.....I've been without a C+ now for 4 yrs.
It's like, you have a C+....then you compare a builder's version of a C+, without any of the components/transformers etc. They aren't even close. There's no harshness in a C+....while in any III (not including a Coliseum) you can't DIAL OUT the harshness. It's just embedded in the upper mids/highs.
C+ cost a stupid amount of $$ these days, on that I agree. But there's no way anyone with a straight face compares a C+ to a III...if they do? Then they've never heard or actually even seen a C+.
Ya I agree, III's are a bit on the harsh side. You can't dial in enough treble and upper mids without it getting harsh at band volumes, that was another issue I had with mine. The IV is a better sounding amp IMO... and of course the IIC+ is THE Mark series to get.

Last edited:
IME the Black Stripe has the smoothest high end of all III’s, making it the most similar III to a C+.
That being said they’ll still get nasty af when set up to do so.
With the no stripe coli I had it wasn’t just the high end being smoother, but also the feel being closer and being more raw and gritty despite the smoother high end. It still was no c+ and the high end comparatively was still messier/less musical, but a lot closer than the other mark iii’s I had when compared

Ya I agree, III's are a bit on the harsh side. You can't dial in enough treble and upper mids without it getting harsh at band volumes, that was the issue I had with mine. The IV is a better sounding amp IMO... and of course the IIC+ is THE Mark series to get.
The one IV I tried at a retail store, sounded the closest to any of the C+ I had, and I actually went to that particular store to try a JP2C. The IV smoked it for what I like anyway.

That's one of the reasons why I prefer the IV over the III. The red stripe III I had was hair metal in a box, very 80's sounding, it was extremely difficult to get something more 90's or 00's sounding out of that amp so I sold it and got the IV and am pretty happy I made that choice.
That is one of the reasons I let my Mark III Red go after several years. It was a great amp, but always sounded like 1992. I just got bored with it, even though it was great.

Agreed. We can all agree that c+‘s are now super pricy for what they are, but taking $$ out of the equation I just don’t see how one hearing the 2 in person will prefer a iii unless I guess they just really want a super intense high end above all else (better choices for that anyway imo like Hermansson’s) or need extra gain/saturation, but refuse to use a boost or ++ mode. And I still consider the iii’s great amps fwiw and actually still one of the better values for what you’re getting under $3k vs the sound of most other amps in that range, but for clarity, detail, feel, the way the notes connect/leadwork especially it’s not really a contest. I didn’t realize it until I tried a c+, but I was basically always dialing my iii in to try to sound like what I gotta straight away plugging into a c+ my first time

Back