Mesa Mark III

I had (and sold) all of the ++ mods long before most here. Wish I had kept them so I could have made major profit. haha. :cool:
I can’t even imagine what value those mods would add to the already inflated price at this point. I don’t remember seeing any for sale since I started looking.

I’ve not played a red but I do own a blue III++ Coliseum and I’ll say the ++ mod really helps tone down that ice pick high end problem stock ones have on solos. Yes they’re super aggressive but I’ve not personally heard the same problems of blues on red or green revisions stock for stock. I always keep mine in ++ mode but it’s worth noting a blue III++ is the best of everything of the green/blue/red later revisions.
I’d love to have the ++ mod done to my green, or whatever red/blue I might pick up, but I’m not even sure if Mike B is back to doing mods.

I also had a Red for many years. It was a great amp, but I could not pay today's prices for them. I got it for $600. Today I would probably just buy a JP2C if I wanted that tone in that price range.
Yeah, prices are bonkers. The only reason I’m considering it is I might be able to score a fully loaded red stripe locally for around $1,600. A price I would’ve scoffed at a few short years ago, but I doubt these things will get any cheaper over time.

you'll be happy with any of them really. especially red stripe and beyond. the green is wired in pentode if that matters to you.
I love my green but I honestly don’t know that I’d have a preference between the two. Triode is a bit smoother, right? Any other big differences bin sound/feel?

I love my green but I honestly don’t know that I’d have a preference between the two. Triode is a bit smoother, right? Any other big differences bin sound/feel?
Triode is sweeter sounding and gives notes a bit of a tail end to them which is great for solos and cleans. Pentode is bolder and tends to add more complexity to the gain in a good way.

another former Red stipe owner/moron that sold his back in 2010 for ......... gulp $700
fully loaded with R2 mod too. Thing was a beast. I had a mark IV at the same time so I could hear the differences between them
The III was much more in your face , but it was (mine anyway) really freaking loud. The mark IV was a lot more controllable and I think that's why I sold the III
I wasn't gigging at the time so I didn't really give it much thought.

I’d love to have the ++ mod done to my green, or whatever red/blue I might pick up, but I’m not even sure if Mike B is back to doing mods.
Since you’ve got a Green, go for the Red, it’ll be less similar to yours than a Blue.
And since the Red is simulclass, it’ll already be more juicy and saturated than the Green, so I’d recommend ++ modding the Green. My buddy did it to his Green and it absolutely kills.
I had a ++ modded Red Stripe, and I think the ++ was a bit too saturated for that amp. Amazing for leads but a bit much for tight rhythm playing. It was switchable though, which made it a + only when switched off (mid knob pushed in) and less saturated.
You really can’t go wrong either way with any of them.

I own a blue and red coli.( so not an 100% accurate compare to a reg iii).
I'd have to agree with previous statements. Red seems a little more open and polite in a good way- both amps set the same. Ive tamed quite a bit of the ice pick in the blue with tube choices..I love em both now.im no help lol.

Since you’ve got a Green, go for the Red, it’ll be less similar to yours than a Blue.
And since the Red is simulclass, it’ll already be more juicy and saturated than the Green, so I’d recommend ++ modding the Green. My buddy did it to his Green and it absolutely kills.
I had a ++ modded Red Stripe, and I think the ++ was a bit too saturated for that amp. Amazing for leads but a bit much for tight rhythm playing. It was switchable though, which made it a + only when switched off (mid knob pushed in) and less saturated.
You really can’t go wrong either way with any of them.
That is very useful info and advice, much appreciated on both counts! I absolutely would deliberate neurotically over which to mod, so it’s helpful to see this in advance.

Back