Mesa Mark III

Mark III is always a super hot topic on here . We now realize it was the most underrated amp ever . $500 to $800 for years and years . Now look at it

Mark III is always a super hot topic on here . We now realize it was the most underrated amp ever . $500 to $800 for years and years . Now look at it
…and I passed on quite a few at that price….lol No regrets as they were never for me. I’d rather have a IIB and a pedal or IV. Would definitely get a Quad or Studio Pre again over a III.

Some amps just don't jive with a boost. But, that doesn't make them better than others that need one; or sound better with one. An EVH amp sounds like ass with a boost IMO. Yet, any JCM 800 2203/4 boosted destroys any and all EVH amps IMO. Like, not even a fair contest.

The Wizard MTL I had hated a boost. The MC100 loved one. I'd take the MC100 every day of the week over that MTL.

Needing/not needing a boost really has nothing to do with how great/not great an amp is. IMO anyway.
Absolutely. I in no way think an amp that doesn’t need a boost is “better” than a boosted amp. And I don’t think a III needs a boost, but I like a boost with pretty much every amp I’ve ever had. III included. What’s not to like about a little more tightness in your tone? Now if an amp sounds like shit with a boost, then of course skip it.

…and I passed on quite a few at that price….lol No regrets as they were never for me. I’d rather have a IIB and a pedal or IV. Would definitely get a Quad or Studio Pre again over a III.
There’s a IIB combo for sale near me, asking price is $1,200. I thought about making an offer on it.

There’s a IIB combo for sale near me, asking price is $1,200. I thought about making an offer on it.
Early IIBs are very much classic rock an a bit loose, however the later IIBs with the RP9C preamp, especially once they're loop modded, are my favorite rhythm amp Mesa made. IMO it has more in common with the IV than with the C+ or the III.

My personal Mark hierarchy for rhythm tones looks something like-

Loop modded RP9C IIB > IV > IIC+ > III >>> JP2C / V (depending on the context) > VII

...And for leads-

SLO (LOL) > IIC+ (without GEQ) > IIC+ (W/GEQ) > Rev C Dual Rec > Badlander > IV > ...everything else.

Early IIBs are very much classic rock an a bit loose, however the later IIBs with the RP9C preamp, especially once they're loop modded, are my favorite rhythm amp Mesa made. IMO it has more in common with the IV than with the C+ or the III.

My personal Mark hierarchy for rhythm tones looks something like-

Loop modded RP9C IIB > IV > IIC+ > III >>> JP2C / V (depending on the context) > VII

...And for leads-

SLO (LOL) > IIC+ (without GEQ) > IIC+ (W/GEQ) > Rev C Dual Rec > Badlander > IV > ...everything else.
Oh wow, that’s surprising! I would not expect that amp to be reminiscent of a IV, even after the loop mod.

So I just fired up my green stripe combo for the first time in a long while, and was getting power but no volume. Plugged it into a 1x12, and got somewhat reduced volume but it dropped even more when I engaged “pull lead”.

Attempted to use the combo speaker again, no volume. That’s when I noticed one of the 6L6 tubes wasn’t glowing at all. The two outside EL34s are lit, as is the other 6L6. Pulled the dead tube and plugged in another 6L6 that I know works, same issue.

Anybody have an idea what might be causing this? I was going to take it to Mesa for maintenance anyway, but I’m hoping this isn’t going to be prohibitively expensive :\

Oh wow, that’s surprising! I would not expect that amp to be reminiscent of a IV, even after the loop mod.
I should probably do an update now that I've been reamping, but yeah check this out. To me they have a similar aggression & mid character that I prefer to the mid character of the IIC+ and IIIs.

Mark IV 2:46
Mark IIB 3:52
IV preamp w/ IIB power section 4:57

So I just fired up my green stripe combo for the first time in a long while, and was getting power but no volume. Plugged it into a 1x12, and got somewhat reduced volume but it dropped even more when I engaged “pull lead”.

Attempted to use the combo speaker again, no volume. That’s when I noticed one of the 6L6 tubes wasn’t glowing at all. The two outside EL34s are lit, as is the other 6L6. Pulled the dead tube and plugged in another 6L6 that I know works, same issue.

Anybody have an idea what might be causing this? I was going to take it to Mesa for maintenance anyway, but I’m hoping this isn’t going to be prohibitively expensive :\
Well, it sounds like that's the one going into Mike for the service & III+ upgrade!

If you run it in Class A mode (outer pair only) does it work normally?

Do we though? Because apparently, according to a few experts here, you're a complete idiot and liar for even comparing this amp to a IIC+, let alone a Mark series amp and it might as well been made by Bugera or Harley Benton.

But otherwise, yes, I agree with you. The amp fucking kills and its great.

Do we though? Because apparently, according to a few experts here, you're a complete idiot and liar for even comparing this amp to a IIC+, let alone a Mark series amp and it might as well been made by Bugera or Harley Benton.

But otherwise, yes, I agree with you. The amp fucking kills and its great.
Hell ya I know what you mean . I do get some shit for it like you say but I stand by it . And has something the others don’t . It’s just pissed af

Well, it sounds like that's the one going into Mike for the service & III+ upgrade!

If you run it in Class A mode (outer pair only) does it work normally?
Ha! That’s almost verbatim what I wrote to Mike B. I’m a tad neurotic and indecisive at times, so having the decision made for me doesn’t completely suck.

Shit, now I can’t remember if I ran it in Class A or not. After I lugged the heavy bastard over to my 1x12, and rearranging everything that needed rearranging, I needed a break haha. I’ll plug it back in later and see if Class A functions as normal.

I should probably do an update now that I've been reamping, but yeah check this out. To me they have a similar aggression & mid character that I prefer to the mid character of the IIC+ and IIIs.

Mark IV 2:46
Mark IIB 3:52
IV preamp w/ IIB power section 4:57

Damn, that IIB sounds sick!

Tube blew probably taking out the B+ fuse. Time for a tech bench overview.

That is one of the reasons I let my Mark III Red go after several years. It was a great amp, but always sounded like 1992. I just got bored with it, even though it was great.
I would have been happy had I gotten some VDOP or AIC - Dirt tones out of it, but it just couldn't, there's something in the mids that makes III's sound kinda dated, like the Whitesnake 1987 album, that's what it sounds like, and ironically my red stripe was made in 1987.

I would have been happy had I gotten some VDOP or AIC - Dirt tones out of it, but it just couldn't, there's something in the mids that makes III's sound kinda dated, like the Whitesnake 1987 album, that's what it sounds like, and ironically my red stripe was made in 1987.
Ironically that’s why I bought my III coliseum.

Back