MXR Carbon Copy in the Effects Loop?

veets987

Anyone use this pedal and used it in their loop? I noticed last night at rehearsal it wasnt really sounding right. The Delay was very faint even with all knobs maxed out. Do you think it may be an issue with the preamp tube in the loop or is there history of this pedal not playing well in the effects loop of the renegade?

doesn't the Renegade have a switch inside to change the loop pad???...if so, change the setting....you're getting a mismatch as it's set now...if not, you could do what I do, and that is have your FX pedals go into a line leveler box...I have it right on my rear FX loop pedal board....it sits in front of the amp....My verbs and delays have never sounded better,,,,..With the Tourmaster and the Rebel 30, it solves the mismatch issues with the Carbon copy

Definitely run it in the loop. The carbon copy is a bit of a moody pedal depending on where it's at in the chain. if you run it on a board through the front, it's really tempermental depending on what other pedals you are running. That being said I think it's one of the best delays on the market for the $ as long as it's in the loop. I use mine in the loop of my rebel 20. The rebels loop is a series loop as is the renegad. Try it in the loop with the with the regen @ 8/8:30oclock, the mix @9oclock and the the delay @12. It's a nice jumping off point. Kind of reverb on steroids. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I have been running it in my loop for af ew months now. It just seems a little faint lately. I will try a few of the things suggested and see if that helps. I havent had time to mess with it and test everything completely to make sure its not something wrong with the pedal itself. Its a great pedal but right now its almost non-existent when used even with everything set all the way up.

In the series loop of the Tourmaster, run the send way up to 3/4 or more...then balance out the signal with the return...should be around 9 o'clock....I think that's how I ran mine...if it sounds really weird this way, then do the opposite.....return way up, send way down....my memory :doh:

The Carbon Copy is sort of a weak sound delay compared to my Hardwire delay or others I own...It's a cool sound, but pretty muffled sounding

Carbon Copy is my current favorite delay pedal. It is so damn warm and thick....adds some syrup to the tone. Love it! Works like a CHAMP with my VHT and Mod 50.

well, very warmmmmm...like an old analog delay...But if you want more articulate delays and longer ones more than 600ms, The Hardwire delay is very good ,analog, reverse, or great true delays, tap tempo, a great looper as well. My other favorite is the DLS Echo Tap

Roddy, isn't the HardWire digital? I am an analog junky. I just love how fat and warm solos are with the CC delay. :D

I love the carbon copy-nice liquid sound. I was using the dl8 for the modulated and looper. I sold it and got a boss dd7 for the dotted eighth's. I use the cc mostly-but the dd7 for cleaner longer delays. Comparing the dd7 and dl8
I may like the analog mode better on the dd7, I like the digital delays better on the dd7-a little thinner which I like. The tap tempo and looper easier to access on the dd-7 (especially with the optional tap tempo input). DL8 option to true bypass, dont notice tone suk with the dd7. The modulated delay on the dd7 sounds like ass- almost like a leslie instead of chorus thing going on.
I thought the modulated delay on the dl8 was great, and analog+tape settings were real nice. If the dl8 had subdivisions I probably would have kept it. The dd7 sounds much better than the dd-20 I bought and quickly sold.
ymmv

I'd like to get rid of my Ebtech line level shifter, It does its job and does it well.......and I also use it for my Revern pedal. However, i am realizing I don't need the reverb pedal live and all I need is delay in the loop. I wish I could do away with the damn loop like my buddy does with his plexi. All those cables to run for one delay pedal seems crazy!

Anyway, I know Bruce Egnater runs a Carbon Copy in the loop of a Mod 50 and said it works fine so maybe I'll try it again. He does not use the line level shifter like me. Maybe I could go back to a TC Elestronics Nova delay which I know is line level.

ONLY thing I noticed with the Carbon Copy in the loop without the Ebtech was that the volume of the amp was lower. But, I guess...so what? I just had to turn the amp up some....which I guess is a good thing to get the tube cooking. :)

So i got to troubleshoot this for a little bit over the weekend. Sounds like the issue is with the amp. I Plugged direct (guitar-Carbon Copy-Input Jack) and the delay worked perfect. I then plugged it back into the effects loop. once i turn on the loop its sucks the tone right out of it almost like i turned my tone knob down on my guitar. It actually made it so i couldnt use it at the gig cause the change was so drastic. Once i kicked it on it just pulled all of the character and the volume dropped quite a bit. So im thinking (hoping) i have a preamp tube out in the loop. I was planning on buying all new preamp tubes anyway. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas???

Roddy":3p3xhwie said:
doesn't the Renegade have a switch inside to change the loop pad???...if so, change the setting....you're getting a mismatch as it's set now...if not, you could do what I do, and that is have your FX pedals go into a line leveler box...I have it right on my rear FX loop pedal board....it sits in front of the amp....My verbs and delays have never sounded better,,,,..With the Tourmaster and the Rebel 30, it solves the mismatch issues with the Carbon copy

Roddy - I opened the back of the amp and didnt notice a switch inside. I didnt take the chasis out so it may have been hiding from me. Anyone know if the Renegade does have this switch? If so where is it located?

My Carbon Copy is amazing with my Mod 50. I run it in the Parallel loop and it is perfect! No issues! I don't even use the Ebtech line level shifter any longer. No need. Bruce uses one with his Mod 50 as well. He loves it. It is a dark, fat analog delay so keep that in mind. BUT! Since I use in the parallel loop I keep the effects mix on the front of the amp....like 2:00 and it really jumps out when I hit the delay! real fat!

Do the TM and Renegade run at line level like the Mod 50?? Keep in mind the CC is dark....and yes I notice a little volume dip in the loop of my Egnater now but it is not an issue because I use dealy for leads and I just switch to my lead channel with increased volume and then hit delay. For clean I have no issues. In most cases, the Egnater Mod 50 loop needs a unit that has the ability to adjust unity gain with the amp. The TC Nova Delay is the best I have found for this and for use with my Egnater, I might go back to the TC Nova delay. My VHT can be run line or instrument level and works perfectly with the CC, no volume dip. The Egnater loop needs a hotter signal then the CC can provide. Not sure about the TM or Renegade. Rack effects work best but I don't use rack gear.....something like the TC Nova, TC Nova delay or even the Damage Control Glass Nexus works great with it. I do not like rack effects with the Egnater because I like my flange, phaser and chorus up front and I only use delay other than chorus and flange so a rack or TC Nova System is a waste for me. I only need delay in the loop. Best stand alone unit I found that works seemlessly with the Egnater is the Nova Delay. It has a feature that allows you to adjust unity gain! Not sure about the Nova Repeater.

Yea, i had a Nova Delay and ended up selling it for the Carbon Copy. Great unit with lots of options but I wanted something simple with a few knobs.

So im guessing from what you are saying i need to buy some kind of buffer or line leveler to place before (or after?) the delay in the loop? Maybe something like this?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LLS2/

I guess if thats the case i need to decide if having the delay in the loop will end up sounding that much better than running it in front of the amp to make it worth buying a seperate buffer..

veets987":mb866sn2 said:
Yea, i had a Nova Delay and ended up selling it for the Carbon Copy. Great unit with lots of options but I wanted something simple with a few knobs.

So im guessing from what you are saying i need to buy some kind of buffer or line leveler to place before (or after?) the delay in the loop? Maybe something like this?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LLS2/

I guess if thats the case i need to decide if having the delay in the loop will end up sounding that much better than running it in front of the amp to make it worth buying a seperate buffer..

Why would it not sound better in the loop? Delay up front into a hot amp will sound like a mess. The LLS works great. It solved my issues. However, I cut down on cables and exrta gear so I haven't been using it. I even used to rn a Boss GE7 in the loop for lead boosts but stopped. I simplified big time and just run a TS pedal up front.

I didn't find the Nova a pain to use...pretty simple and the new Nova Repeater is even easier! If not the LLS unit, you need to find a line level delay like the Nova, Repeater or Maxon delay pedal. There are no guarantees though. At least I know the Nova works. I hate that I have to run two 20' cables to and from my pedalboard to head for one delay pedal. Yikes! Maybe I'll find something to make the most of it......BUT I use delay on all cleans and all leads...sometimes other parts for some verb type effect.

Hey Rich,

You may want to look into this http://www.glab.com.pl/ala-1_en if you hate running multiple cables. I have never used one. But, it looks like it accomplishes the same task as the LLS, with variable controls and one cable to and from.

Love the mod50... But, the loops are much hotter than line level when maxed out. This makes it tricky to pair up with digital gear, IMHO.

The one mod to the Mod50 I would love to see is variable loop levels that are independent of the channel masters. Almost like a loop master volume from the send and boost into the return.

Thanks bro...not sure I would do that G Labs thing...but wow, check out their effects! That delay and chorus look awesome! And they handle line level! $300 but maybe I could find a used one. :)

Yep, my VHT has variable loop levels! Love it.

Since I run the delay in the loop only for lead and clean I might be able to get away with it as is. I switch to a hotter channel with more volume for leads and then hit the dealy so it works. I was going to use a tube screamer with the SL module so hitting the CC would lower the volume but I decided to run the SL with the SL2 or EG3/4 so I can still hit a hotter channel and the deal yand be OK.

I don't notice tone suck...just a slight volume drop. It is a dark delay but you still hear the drop. In my VHT loop I can actually make the loop level louder! That is great because I can hit the loop button with the delay on all from the floorboard! Great feature! Why in my VHT can I turn the parallel effects level louder and it only effects the sound when the loop is engaged? On the Egnater if I rasie the Parallel effects mix....it impacts the tone even when the delay is off. I guess that is because I can engage the loop from the pedalboard...hence turn the loop on/off!

Back