My story of Trace Davis and Voodoo Amps (spoiler, I'm not stoked)

fortunately or unfortunately early 2000 I learned my lesson with modding amps. I sent Voodoo Amps a pristine 1981 Marshall JCM 800 2203 ( turn time was great only a couple of weeks) only for me to receive the amplifier back and for me to be REALLY disappointed with the tone and for me to be sick at my stomach for ruining a pristine 81 JCM 800.

fortunately or unfortunately early 2000 I learned my lesson with modding amps. I sent Voodoo Amps a pristine 1981 Marshall JCM 800 2203 ( turn time was great only a couple of weeks) only for me to receive the amplifier back and for me to be REALLY disappointed with the tone and for me to be sick at my stomach for ruining a pristine 81 JCM 800.

You learned your lesson with Voodoo, but that’s not all amp modders. Every amp is different and Cookie cutter doesn’t work. There are others that are more than capable of bringing out the best in an amp. Sorry your 81 was ruined but it’s possible to send it someone to get it fixed.

You learned your lesson with Voodoo, but that’s not all amp modders. Every amp is different and Cookie cutter doesn’t work. There are others that are more than capable of bringing out the best in an amp. Sorry your 81 was ruined but it’s possible to send it someone to get it fixed.
Yes this is good advice. He can make it even better than before with the right guy

I should have sent it elsewhere. I was just shit out of luck on about $1700 so i just sold it.

I almost had an amp modded by Trace, but he got shitty when I said that I thought one of their clips sounded a little fuzzy. I figure if anyone is going to get their feelings hurt over something like that, I don’t want to bother with them.
I probably would to. They put them up thinking they sound pretty good. Then they have some asshole complaining about them..
He's thinking why are you wasting his time..

I hate dogging on anyone online. I really do. And even though I was as honest as I could be about my personal experience.what completely blows my mind is Trace was just online,here on this forum chiming in on another post answering a amp question but yet he can’t chime in here? If it was me I’d at least own it,apologize. I don’t get it. I guess becoming an amp tech to the stars is the end game.

It’s a bummer to read stuff like this. I had a couple amps worked on by Trace and it was a wonderful experience. I lived close enough to schedule an in person appointment so I could hang out with him while he did the work. We talked gear, he showed me some amps he was working on for some pros, and he took the time to answer all my stupid questions. It really sparked my interest in building and modding my own amps.
It’s super cool that he is out touring with great bands but it’s too bad that it seems to leave the modding side of his business wanting

its a shame ... he did inspired work at one point, truly, the finest unit I ever played through was one of Trace's - We finally got our amp back - 2 years plus It had not been touched. We ended up having David Brey mod it - its a nice amp now, still too loud !!

Trace did a custom deluxe mod on a Peavey 5150 II for me back in like 2005 or so. I have to say that amp was absolutely amazing. It truly sounded and felt like a high end, boutique version of a 5150. Really wish I hadn't sold that one.

TD had Ritchie Fortus' Jose Marshall that he bought from Mick Mars for a very long time. Way longer than he shoulda.
TD was suppose to be "refurbishing" the amp. And everytime RF asked about the amp or when he could have it back
all he got was BS stories.
Meanwhile TD is going around to everybody in the music world that "he can build an authentic Jose Marshall for the right price."
All the while w/o RF knowledge or consent and at the same time producing a RF Voodoo sig amp.
The Jose was sold a couple years ago.
TD is a shitbag. Buyer beware.

Back