My story of Trace Davis and Voodoo Amps (spoiler, I'm not stoked)

Almost as bad as making a deal with someone to buy an amp then backing out and completely ghosting the seller right OP???

"If you'd do $2200 shipped I'll take it.
I have a deal pending on one of my PRS guitars that should net me $2200 and I'd be willing to float this one on the paypal credit card."

"Cool! Thanks!
Let me ping the guy with the guitar deal to see if I can get him to pay me so I can avert touching the CC altogether."

Karma... so forth and so on...

Almost as bad as making a deal with someone to buy an amp then backing out and completely ghosting the seller right OP???

I have a deal pending on one of my PRS guitars that should net me $2200 and I'd be willing to float this one on the paypal credit card."

"Cool! Thanks!
Let me ping the guy with the guitar deal to see if I can get him to pay me so I can avert touching the CC altogether."

I vaguely remember this and I don’t remember what happened on my end but I think you’re right and I owe you an apology. Fair is fair.

I am glad you are getting your amp back. I guess the bright side is that amp has increased in value over the past few years lol...now you have a great amp to send to any of the great modders around here.
Haha right?

to be completely honest, my bone stock 1986 2203 sounds completely good enough for me so I may just leave this one alone.

I vaguely remember this and I don’t remember what happened on my end but I think you’re right and I owe you an apology. Fair is fair.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Sad how these guys lose their professionalism and work ethic. When you own a business and run it, you should have some kind of pride and and ethic behind what you do. I guess they lose that over time or become too busy maybe. It is all about keeping the standards up. I can see the occasional issue or problem but blowing a customer off for years is ridiculous. I always heard they were great but I would never do business with them now.

Sad how these guys lose their professionalism and work ethic. When you own a business and run it, you should have some kind of pride and and ethic behind what you do. I guess they lose that over time or become too busy maybe. It is all about keeping the standards up. I can see the occasional issue or problem but blowing a customer off for years is ridiculous. I always heard they were great but I would never do business with them now.
greed
/ɡrēd/
Learn to pronounce

noun

1. intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.
    "mercenaries who had allowed greed to overtake their principles"

Similar:
    avarice

greediness

acquisitiveness

covetousness

rapacity

graspingness

cupidity

avidity

possessiveness

materialism

mercenariness

predatoriness

money-grubbing

money-grabbing

grabbiness

Mammonism

pleonexia

gluttony

hunger

ravenousness

voraciousness

voracity

insatiability

gourmandizing

gourmandism

intemperance

overeating

overconsumption

self-indulgence

swinishness

piggishness

hoggishness

gutsiness

edacity

esurience

desire

urge

need

appetite

craving

longing

yearning

hankering

hungering

thirst

pining

eagerness

enthusiasm

impatience

yen

itch

Opposite:
    generosity

temperance

asceticism

indifference

826c9ec9f6d55fa6b2c921bf822d8550390f8de2000223c02199d86f4bb8c1e1.png

Choose languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBanglaBasqueBelarusianBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKinyarwandaKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaOdiaPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScottish GaelicSerbianShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSouthern SothoSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTatarTeluguThaiTurkishTurkmenUkrainianUrduUyghurUzbekVietnameseWelshWestern FrisianXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

Definitions from Oxford Languages

Back in the day lots of guys including myself sent their marshall to bradshaw to do a brown mod or whatever he called it, this was early to mid 80`s. 150 bucks plus shipping both ways. Found out later he was removing the bright cap. Alot of this shit is over rated.
I overhaul the entire preamp plus more on all of my mods. 9-14 hours about $625 then figure a loop later about $175 loop then plus shipping.

No payment until the owner is satisfied with video demo request work.

David Hopkins

and this is what happens when the Money starts to Roll in. Remember, We as Rigtalk people are the reason Trace got all the LOVE from Amp owners. we boosted him up & he made good money from that, then the celebs start wanting work from him & the Money starts coming in & guess what? the little guy, Ethics, integrity & professionalism goes out the window. His Mods are & were terrible. I bought a Voodoo Modded 5150 Years ago from a guy here in Florida & IT SUCKED. No Balls & No Tone. it was just gross. Ask Mark Lewis he tried to Warn me.

"Cool! Thanks!

i mean.... this isn’t exactly the end of the world. Come on. You aren’t really comparing these two situations..... right? Maybe a bit of a dick ( slightly) move, but it’s not like you know, you sent him the amp and he hasn’t paid for it in over a year or two or whatever....surely everyone has had the guy that says he’s gonna buy something and it falls through here...

and this is what happens when the Money starts to Roll in. Remember, We as Rigtalk people are the reason Trace got all the LOVE from Amp owners. we boosted him up & he made good money from that, then the celebs start wanting work from him & the Money starts coming in & guess what? the little guy, Ethics, integrity & professionalism goes out the window. His Mods are & were terrible. I bought a Voodoo Modded 5150 Years ago from a guy here in Florida & IT SUCKED. No Balls & No Tone. it was just gross. Ask Mark Lewis he tried to Warn me.
Yeah you are right. The only mod I ever had done was through FJA and he was super cool. It was a simple thing so no hassles. I guess it is buyer beware sadly.

One thing I don't get is why AC/DC or others would even mess with him and certainly don't get why they would pay him a lot. His mods allegedly suck and he allegedly has health issues.

One thing I don't get is why AC/DC or others would even mess with him and certainly don't get why they would pay him a lot. His mods allegedly suck and he allegedly has health issues.
I’m sure he’s cheaper to keep on the payroll than Rick St Pierre from Wizard.

i mean.... this isn’t exactly the end of the world. Come on. You aren’t really comparing these two situations..... right? Maybe a bit of a dick ( slightly) move, but it’s not like you know, you sent him the amp and he hasn’t paid for it in over a year or two or whatever....surely everyone has had the guy that says he’s gonna buy something and it falls through here...

I agree but he has a point. I don't entirely remember what happened on my end as this was a while ago, but fair is fair and I should have communicated better.

I agree but he has a point. I don't entirely remember what happened on my end as this was a while ago, but fair is fair and I should have communicated better.
Sure, no doubt... we all mess up. but still.... just alittlleeeeeeee extreme in regards to the response, and the comparison.

I bought a voodoo modded 1983 2204 last year. Didn't like it at all. Fat, muddy. Didn't sound like an 800 should to me AT ALL. I called him to try and see what he had done to it and left a voicemail.

He called me back, and literally went on for over an hour about everything he had going on, until finally I said hey man I gotta go, which seemed to irritate him and he hung up rather quickly. I sold the amp the next day.

I've heard mixed things about his off-the-shelf mods, but that's not too surprising. Unless you're working with someone on a mod that's tailored to you, it's just going to be one-size-fits-some anyway. I had a voodoo modded Marshall JMP1 preamp though that I liked way better than stock.

Last edited:
Back