NAD Voodoo modded Marshall JVM 410H

1meanplexi

Another went into a local store with ZERO intention of buying an amp. And well…here we are.

This has the Platinum mod. New Mercury transformers and choke. Not sure what was done on the inside. I do not know if Voodoo is still modding amps. Anyway, this bastard rips. Unbelievable tonal options on all channels and more importantly, all useable.

The best way to describe it would be a Marshall, Mesa mix.

Attachments

• DBDBC27A-A5E9-437F-9E2E-02F83A7BA027.jpeg
    DBDBC27A-A5E9-437F-9E2E-02F83A7BA027.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
That’s a nice score dude, congrats!

It’s a real shame Trace is super busy these days and his customers don’t have good things to say about him with his lack of communication. He’s the man still IMO.

I’ve only got to play one of his modded 5150’s and it sounded much more alive than in stock form. I was impressed.

But anyway, I bet your new toy has a lot of punch. I like the JVM but stock form I feel like it lacks the balls of the older 800’s and earlier. I can only imagine how it sounds now.

It’s a real shame Trace is super busy these days and his customers don’t have good things to say about him with his lack of communication. He’s the man still IMO.

I’ve only got to play one of his modded 5150’s and it sounded much more alive than in stock form. I was impressed.

But anyway, I bet your new toy has a lot of punch. I like the JVM but stock form I feel like it lacks the balls of the older 800’s and earlier. I can only imagine how it sounds now.
My jvm would not open up at all . So I sold it . Missed the roar . But it was stock

Another went into a local store with ZERO intention of buying an amp. And well…here we are.

This has the Platinum mod. New Mercury transformers and choke. Not sure what was done on the inside. I do not know if Voodoo is still modding amps. Anyway, this bastard rips. Unbelievable tonal options on all channels and more importantly, all useable.

The best way to describe it would be a Marshall, Mesa mix.

An interesting find at a local store :)

How much did it run you for the amp?

I had the opportunity to shoot it out with a stock one. I’ll start by saying I really liked the stock one until this. The mod kept the character of the amp. Everything you do not like about the stock amp was addressed in full. The bottom kicks like an old 800, the eq on all channels have an improved sweep. The gain options are endless. 60’s-2000’s. Speaking of gain, we could not get this amp to flub out. Gain on 10, Red option, channel 4. It just never fell apart. No matter what cab and speaker combination it just held. Something I never experienced from an amp.

I had the opportunity to shoot it out with a stock one. I’ll start by saying I really liked the stock one until this. The mod kept the character of the amp. Everything you do not like about the stock amp was addressed in full. The bottom kicks like an old 800, the eq on all channels have an improved sweep. The gain options are endless. 60’s-2000’s. Speaking of gain, we could not get this amp to flub out. Gain on 10, Red option, channel 4. It just never fell apart. No matter what cab and speaker combination it just held. Something I never experienced from an amp.

Must’ve been modded back when he actually gave a damn about quality and tone.

Hang onto that thing, his early stuff was praised very well but absolutely impossible to replicate today. I won’t go down the path of saying anything else :)

Congrats!

My second modded Marshall purchase way back in 09 was a Voodoo modded 1959x. It sounded almost dead nuts to Screaming for Vengeance tone. Cool amp.
I picked up a Voodoo modded Laney AOR 50w head for cheap, a few years later. That one sucked.

Right on man. Years ago I had a few Marshalls modded by him and they were killer.
I sat in with him while he did the mods, and he let me play a bit in-between tweaks to dial it in just right.

Super nice dude. It’s a bummer that his mod business seems to be suffering, but it’s cool seeing all the big name acts he goes out on the road with

Last edited:
The Voodoo 5150 II that trace custom mod that Trace did for me in 2003 sounded and felt unbelievable. Better than the majority of high-end boutiques I have played.

Isn’t this the guy who charges you for talking on the phone?

I don’t know if it has changed, but I was certainly not charged for any phone calls I made. i had several pleasant conversations with Trace and his wife when she was still alive for no cost

I feel bad for people who have experienced bad deals with trace. I Dealt with him and his late wife multiple times never an issue always responsive and like another user said I went there and had some tweaks done. 3 pre 500 rectos, 5150ii a few Marshalls through the years even tried a diezel. Never charged for a call 🤷‍♂️ messed up what I see and hear. Def agree when the stuff was on point it hangs with the best of them. Typically when people didn’t like his mods it was because they weren’t super super modern gainy.

For fun I even had Jerry mod one of traces witchdoctors :) amazing amp still have it.

Back