New Pick Incoming...

7704A

Just placed an order for an OHM pick shaped like the Dunlop 420 flow. Hoping the titanium holds up better than the plastic does, which had the tip snap(?) off in a month or less. For other interested parties, Otto takes orders by the email address on the OHM picks facebook page, and you pay after the pick is delivered to you. Looking forward to some major woodshedding with the new pick! Will update when it arrives.

Small update: I was very impressed to receive a video in my email this morning from Otto showing a wooden mock-up of the pick so I can see what he plans to do before he goes ahead with it. I was not expecting that level of customer service, but I certainly appreciate it.

Exciting update: I just received pictures of the titanium version for approval. It looks awesome, practically perfect, so Otto's shipping it over. So far I must say I'm very happy with his customer service. Looking forward to playing with the pick.
20240206_121215.jpg

I have gotten the process started. Titanium is interesting. I have enjoyed my brass pick a lot
Cool! Yeah, definitely an interesting proposition. One thing in particular that stood out to me is a review elsewhere of an OHM picks Jazz III, stating that the bevels on the edge meant no excessive string wear, and that the player had used the pick for a year without noticing an increase in string wear. Because of that I asked Otto to defer to his preferred edge if the 420's actual edge would be too destructive to strings when made of Ti. It looks like he did, so it'll be interesting to see if I start buzzsawing through strings or not. Does your brass pick chew up strings? I have a friend whose strings take a thrashing from a different-brand metal pick.

that looks very thick?! thicker than a nickel?I

I've used quarters in the past in an emergency, and they work fine, I even had round plastic picks called "pointless picks" since the quarter worked. Could probably file down a quarter? :D

Read a lot and seen vids of the thick pics. Guess I’d have to try one before making judgement.
I know some people love them. I really like to choke up on my picks. So much so my right index finger nail never gets long towards my middle finger
Interesting

Read a lot and seen vids of the thick pics. Guess I’d have to try one before making judgement.
I know some people love them. I really like to choke up on my picks. So much so my right index finger nail never gets long towards my middle finger
Interesting
The main reason I'm using such a thick pick right now is so that the edge can be round and shallow. I'm working through Claus Levin's speed picking program, and he strongly advocates for learning to pick just the very surface of the string to minimize and regularize the resistance. A rounder edge helps with learning that since slip-ups don't result in the pick hanging up as much, so you don't need to be perfect from the start.

Reactions: rsm
Back