Northern Gaza Is Now A MOONSCAPE!

We can avoid a head butting session if you just go look it up for yourself. IT's a shitty system of compromises based on flawed averaged measurements. I guess it's easy to convert it to different unit lengths so it requires less effort to learn but it's a crap system. Sorry man.
I can't understand why anyone would prefer tools in fractional inches.

Maybe what you don't know is we converted to it 2 years before I was born but growing up there was plenty of imperial measurements around and I had to know both systems. In other words I'm qualified to make an assessment given I've used both.

I can't understand why anyone would prefer tools in fractional inches.
I can't see why anyone would want to use a system based on inherently flawed measurements but they do I guess. You aren't going to address that because it isn't something up for the debate, it just is. The imperial system is the more accurate set of measurements overall. I have no beef turning mm wrenches on a bike but the system itself is flawed. It's like tempered tuning, everything is out of tune so that it can sound more in tune to itself. It has ease of application. Like the metric system that's it's only true advantage.

I can't see why anyone would want to use a system based on inherently flawed measurements but they do I guess. You aren't going to address that because it isn't something up for the debate, it just is. The imperial system is the more accurate set of measurements overall. I have no beef turning mm wrenches on a bike but the system itself is flawed. It's like tempered tuning, everything is out of tune so that it can sound more in tune to itself. It has ease of application. Like the metric system that's it's only true advantage.
It's not more accurate... it's just another scale.

It's not more accurate... it's just another scale.
It's a system based on averaged out measurements of the earth. Since the earth isn't a perfect ball (here we go) the measurements are off from their very inception. So yes, it is less accurate. It's easier to learn and convert to other units within that system, that's all it has going for it. It is less accurate. For the average person that means nothing but since we are getting all science and mathematics, the metric system loses.

It's a system based on averaged out measurements of the earth. Since the earth isn't a perfect ball (here we go) the measurements are off from their very inception. So yes, it is less accurate. It's easier to learn and convert to other units within that system, that's all it has going for it. It is less accurate. For the average person that means nothing but since we are getting all science and mathematics, the metric system loses.
However a metre is defined it can be broken down in tenths to whatever level of accuracy you need. Same with a foot. Makes no difference.

The advantage is in the logic of it... For example 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard 1760 yards in a mile is all over the place and that's just length on land. Then there is liquids and weights... imperial is a nightmare in comparison to metric.

However a metre is defined it can be broken down in tenths to whatever level of accuracy you need. Same with a foot. Makes no difference.

The advantage is in the logic of it... For example 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard 1760 yards in a mile is all over the place.
I did mention that it is easier to make conversions in the metric system. The imperial system requires more in depth understanding to do that but it's weight scales are especially more accurate than the metric system.

Maybe we should go debate whitworth vs SAE next.

\
I did mention that it is easier to make conversions in the metric system. The imperial system requires more in depth understanding to do that but it's weight scales are especially more accurate than the metric system.

Maybe we should go debate whitworth vs SAE next.
It's not more accurate. It's just a different scale. I can't believe you don't get that. You can go down to the nth degree with metric and the same with imperial. For example on my digital verniers you can push a button and convert between imperial and metric. it doesn't matter in terms of accuracy. If the verniers aren't accurate enough then you can get a micrometer etc

\

It's not more accurate. It's just a different scale. I can't believe you don't get that. You can go down to the nth degree with metric and the same with imperial.
You can argue this one until the cows go home. but there is nothing to debate, the metric system is less accurate and based off incorrect measurements, averages actually. Unless 2 plus 2 equals 5 it ain't happening my man. You didn't even know these things until I told you so bear in mind that a stupid fuck who can't get a call back on a dishwashing job was the one who opened your eyes to it.

You can argue this one until the cows go home. but there is nothing to debate, the metric system is less accurate and based off incorrect measurements, averages actually. Unless 2 plus 2 equals 5 it ain't happening my man. You didn't even know these things until I told you so bear in mind that a stupid fuck who can't get a call back on a dishwashing job was the one who opened your eyes to it.
No sorry - that's plain wrong.

Exactly the same as what I'm saying.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 2.44.49 pm.png

Being obstinate isn't a virtue. A couple google searches shoot your claim down. I'm not going to take it with you further. Have a good night.
The result of every google search verifies what I'm saying - so sorry I'm not the one being obstinate. Quite aside from the fact that I actually know what I'm talking about.

Did you look at the link he provided me? I haven’t yet.
https://www.quora.com/Is-the-metric-system-flawed

"The metre is wrong. It was intended as 1/10,000,000 of the quarter circumference of the Earth (equator to North Pole, through Paris). In fact, one of the two astronomers assigned to measure the Earth (at least from Barcelona to Calais) made a mistake early on, and buried the mistake. The preliminary metre had been in use for several years before he died and the other astronomer discovered why he had kept his field notes so secret. But the fact that the metre was 0.2 mm to short had to be kept hidden, because adoption by the public was tenuous.
Because the metre is too short, the polar Earth circumference is 40,008 km (40,007.86 km) instead of 40,000 km exactly."

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-metric-system-flawed

"The metre is wrong. It was intended as 1/10,000,000 of the quarter circumference of the Earth (equator to North Pole, through Paris). In fact, one of the two astronomers assigned to measure the Earth (at least from Barcelona to Calais) made a mistake early on, and buried the mistake. The preliminary metre had been in use for several years before he died and the other astronomer discovered why he had kept his field notes so secret. But the fact that the metre was 0.2 mm to short had to be kept hidden, because adoption by the public was tenuous.
Because the metre is too short, the polar Earth circumference is 40,008 km (40,007.86 km) instead of 40,000 km exactly."
But whatever the meter is supposed to theoretically represent doesn’t have any bearing on measuring things, so long as a meter is a meter, right?

Back