Northern Gaza Is Now A MOONSCAPE!

But whatever the meter is supposed to theoretically represent doesn’t have any bearing on measuring things, so long as a meter is a meter, right?
Of course. But what does that mean though? "Oh, it's ten arm lengths long. MY ARM LENGTHS." Perfectly accurate if you have a stick with my arm length marked out on it,. The basis for the whole system is the meter, distance measurements that were flubbed from the get go but used anyways so they could get people to adopt it faster. And you need to be a ball earth subscriber to believe it at all anyways. And even if you are a ball earth subscriber it's an oblate spheroid so it don't pan out north to south east to west. But yeah for quick conversions unless you are a savant the metric system wins. Easier to make conversions.

The exact length of the standard is arbitrary; it could have been anything. :dunno:

The fact that it doesn't end in an exact multiple of thousands for that one measurement is irrelevant. Slightly-inconvenient for that one metric(!), maybe, but for all other intents and purposes, inconsequential IMHO.

But whatever the meter is supposed to theoretically represent doesn’t have any bearing on measuring things, so long as a meter is a meter, right?
Yes... and anyway it was based on a fraction of the Earth's circumference but since 2019 the metre has been defined as the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299792458 of a second, where the second is defined by a hyperfine transition frequency of caesium.

The reason for the change is that standard doesn't vary.

The exact length of the standard is arbitrary; it could have been anything. :dunno:
Yes but preferably something that can't change which they have amended the definition to be now... (see above)... Which is basically the same metre as the original definition but can't vary due to geology etc.

Also hate to break it to you @VonBonfire but the mile is defined in terms of metres these days.

The mile, sometimes the international mile or statute mile to distinguish it from other miles, is a British imperial unit and United States customary unit of distance; both are based on the older English unit of length equal to 5,280 English feet, or 1,760 yards. The statute mile was standardised between the Commonwealth of Nations and the United States by an international agreement in 1959, when it was formally redefined with respect to SI units as exactly 1,609.344 metres.

Yes but preferably something that can't change which they have amended the definition to be now... (see above)... Which is basically the same metre as the original definition but can't vary due to geology etc.
Of course mate, but... I'm yet to be convinced that the speed of light isn't slowing down, so there's that "little" (infinitesimal) possible variation into the future. A rubber ruler, if you were.

The Last Original Standard Metre

Personally I didn't have a problem with the marble's remaining as the standard. :dunno:

Of course mate, but... I'm yet to be convinced that the speed of light isn't slowing down, so there's that "little" (infinitesimal) possible variation into the future. A rubber ruler, if you were.

The Last Original Standard Metre

Personally I didn't have a problem with the marble's remaining as the standard. :dunno:
Notwithstanding the Mile is defined in terms of metres now... so if the metre is inaccurate so is the mile.

Last edited:
I just read that entire thread and I see nothing that is actually anti American in there at all.

It's anti Trump without being anti-Republican given I don't like the Democrats even more. Newsflash a lot of Americans hate both candidates this time around as well. I criticise US gun culture in that I prefer to live somewhere without them - which is why you are so butt hurt because those inanimate objects mean more to you than your friends apparently. I poked fun briefly at the US measurement system - that's hardly anti American. Just about everyone from any other country hates the US measurement system because it causes nothing but confusion and senseless conversions all the time for their whole lives.

I also saw that I didn't sound very patriotic about Australia in that thread like I said here earlier.

You obviously think I can't have an opinion about these things.

I'm all for US and Australian border controls and against illegal immigrants - I've said that numerous times. Even if I think it's too late.

Lately you seem like you have woken up on the wrong side of the bed. My views are pretty balanced and nowhere near being like a Democrat. If you can't tolerate a nuanced point of view based on my own experiences of life then I politely suggest you go fuck yourself. That's what you wanted to push me to say so you can hate on me from now on right? Are you happy? You don't have to be my friend if you don't want although not sure why you find anything I have said that objectionable. Unless again it comes down to being gun crazy.
You have always, ever since I've known you, had this habit of comparing and contrasting the US and Australia. Like you would go out of your way to point out that Australia is better. Almost like someone would if they had an inferiority complex. When it was just us talking or texting it wasn't as pronounced and it wasn't as pronounced at TGP because you were nowhere near as active with political shit talking ( none of us were since that site is run by asswipes). I think it has just gotten more of a thing here when you are going round and round with all the different Americans here. And for a couple days it got annoying that every other post you made appeared to be putting down the US or comparing Australia to the US in a better light. And when you started talking about how people, me in particular, feel about guns in the US it pissed me off. There's no way you can understand it and you routinely throw jabs at the US for their adherence to our constitution, which you obviously hold little regard for. It does mean something to me and to a lot of people and when you take a dump on it it is annoying. I was pretty polite in my response all things considered. I didn't tell you to go fuck yourself. Just understand that I don't appreciate you taking a shit on the US constitution and I sure as fuck don't like a fucking Australian of all people telling me I'm a gun nut.

That said, when the world inevitably turns into a free for all, know you are more than welcome to come and hang at "Chez Floyd" and I will gladly defend your ass with some of these guns you dislike.

You have always, ever since I've known you, had this habit of comparing and contrasting the US and Australia. Like you would go out of your way to point out that Australia is better. Almost like someone would if they had an inferiority complex. When it was just us talking or texting it wasn't as pronounced and it wasn't as pronounced at TGP because you were nowhere near as active with political shit talking ( none of us were since that site is run by asswipes). I think it has just gotten more of a thing here when you are going round and round with all the different Americans here. And for a couple days it got annoying that every other post you made appeared to be putting down the US or comparing Australia to the US in a better light. And when you started talking about how people, me in particular, feel about guns in the US it pissed me off. There's no way you can understand it and you routinely throw jabs at the US for their adherence to our constitution, which you obviously hold little regard for. It does mean something to me and to a lot of people and when you take a dump on it it is annoying. I was pretty polite in my response all things considered. I didn't tell you to go fuck yourself. Just understand that I don't appreciate you taking a shit on the US constitution and I sure as fuck don't like a fucking Australian of all people telling me I'm a gun nut.

That said, when the world inevitably turns into a free for all, know you are more than welcome to come and hang at "Chez Floyd" and I will gladly defend your ass with some of these guns you dislike.
Yeah well I’m sorry if it comes across that way. I didn’t mean to piss you off.

Notwithstanding the Mile is defined in terms of metres now... so if the metre is inaccurate so is the mile.
I have never heard anyone here break down the mile into meters. You could probably ask a thousand people and maybe a handful would know the foot or yard measurements contained in a mile. Of those, maybe one would know it in meters. If I tried to use that here my legs would stop working because when I run I only go for runs in increments of miles, not km.

If I had my choice we'd be using Cubits which today is 18" but in biblical times was the length of an average man's forearms from crook of elbow to fingertip IIRC.

If I had my choice we'd be using Cubits which today is 18" but in biblical times was the length of an average man's forearms from crook of elbow to fingertip IIRC.
IIRC the Egyptian cubit was longer than the standard one. Just a useless piece of info. :dunno: We still measure horse height in hands, which I find interesting.

I have never heard anyone here break down the mile into meters. You could probably ask a thousand people and maybe a handful would know the foot or yard measurements contained in a mile. Of those, maybe one would know it in meters. If I tried to use that here my legs would stop working because when I run I only go for runs in increments of miles, not km.
Fun fact:

I'd be one of those who'd know it in metres 'cause I won a famous race in South Africa when I was 12 - the Midmar Mile. It was an annual event, a race across Midmar Dam in a trajectory that was measured to be exactly 1 mile and in which maybe 5000 people competed - general public, competitive swimmers and the entire S. African iron-man contingent. I entered 3 years in a row before I moved to Aus. Came 127th at 10, then 27th at 11 and 1st at 12.

That last race saw me sitting frozen-stiff on the boat landing afterwards for half an hour. Tough race. Finished in just under 20 minutes IIRC. Point being that when you enter such an event, everybody knows exactly how many metres it is. :LOL:

now do triangles.

pythagoras.jpg

Crikey mate, what'll they think of next? :LOL:

Aussie innovation never ceases to amaze, like that stubby / can boat race they have up in the NT. Who'd've thunk you could make a boat out of empty beer cans? Oh hang on, I know... the Aussies. :dunno:

Back