ODR2 on the way!!!

mentoneman":3ctzfdrh said:
i'll let you know my impressions when i get it in.

excited!

I think you'll dig it braddah Pat...a pretty well jaded gear geek played mine today and was instantly smitten. It was singing, it was rocking, it was sweet, it was quiet and was in his words "not what I thought it was going to be..." ;)

* velcro-fly *":1rzouxga said:
mentoneman":1rzouxga said:
i'll let you know my impressions when i get it in.

excited!

I think you'll dig it braddah Pat...a pretty well jaded gear geek played mine today and was instantly smitten. It was singing, it was rocking, it was sweet, it was quiet and was in his words "not what I thought it was going to be..." ;)

and it's all your fault!

well at least you raved about it enough to warrant a hard look and i liked the simplicity of the controls and the low wattage power tube potential.

i also like the philosophy of alan and that ears like eric johnson and joe bonomassa endorse the tone.

I waffled a bit looking at the two rocks on the gear page, especially after sniderman raved about his J2, and that Mojave special edition plexi 45...

If I had buckets if gold the 45, the opal, and the J2 would be mine also!

mentoneman":k4zwz9m1 said:
I waffled a bit looking at the two rocks on the gear page, especially after sniderman raved about his J2, and that Mojave special edition plexi 45...

I'll admit that J2 had me looking as well...but I can pretty well confirm that having the OD2r and the Aiken together has pretty well *realistically* covered my bases. The lower power platforms fit well and as much as I would love to own a big power setup its just not practical now. Beyond that, and most important, I plug them in a realize they sound really freaking good, like stupid good. I had them in front of a major gear freak / insane player the other night and his comment was to just stop right where I'm at, and the OD2r was the one that really made him grin. Truth be told the only amp I'm remotely gassing for is another Swart Atomic Space Tone.

Get in touch when it shows up braddah Pat. It's a really simple platform to use, super interactive with the controls and the difference when running 6V6's at 18 watts vs. 6L6's at 30 is pretty cool. I typically keep the pre gain knob at between 11:00 - 1:00 and the gain channel drive knob at 2:00 - 3:00 with buckered guitars. You'll quickly find the sweet spot, remember the pre gain affects both the clean and dirt channels.

* velcro-fly *":1nvm0odl said:
mentoneman":1nvm0odl said:

I'll admit that J2 had me looking as well...but I can pretty well confirm that having the OD2r and the Aiken together has pretty well *realistically* covered my bases. The lower power platforms fit well and as much as I would love to own a big power setup its just not practical now. Beyond that, and most important, I plug them in a realize they sound really freaking good, like stupid good. I had them in front of a major gear freak / insane player the other night and his comment was to just stop right where I'm at, and the OD2r was the one that really made him grin. Truth be told the only amp I'm remotely gassing for is another Swart Atomic Space Tone.

Get in touch when it shows up braddah Pat. It's a really simple platform to use, super interactive with the controls and the difference when running 6V6's at 18 watts vs. 6L6's at 30 is pretty cool. I typically keep the pre gain knob at between 11:00 - 1:00 and the gain channel drive knob at 2:00 - 3:00 with buckered guitars. You'll quickly find the sweet spot, remember the pre gain affects both the clean and dirt channels.

good stuff

after using the axe-fx exclusively for a few months i realized i would love to have a raw tone machine that did fendery 3D cleans and a complimentary fusiony lead tone that actually had the same DNA as the clean tone.

problem with the axefx is you get pulled into having ej cleans, van halen crunch, robben ford lead....it's all over the map, and programming is time consuming, and you end up plucking one chord for 3 hours dialing tone. i'd rather consume time playing music like i did with my 3 knob mojave coyote.

just got a chance to play it with my fender strat loaded with fletcher landaus (tyler is in the shop) and into a bogner 4x12 with 4 different celestions.

really sweet clean tones off the top, and bouncy and sparkly like i like it. i loved adding the barber tone press to it to make it leap off the frets more and make each note seem slightly wider.

the lead channel has a mix between that saggy midrange horn tone of the dumble brigade but with a grindy snarl and presence akin to the marshall; a clear added sting in the frequencies that help you cut through the mix, without being offensive to the ear.
adding the comp made it even more playable--not needed, just more finger candy.

dead simple tone controls, two channels of beauty.
amp has 2 6L6s currently, but i'd like to try the 6V6s soon as well for perhaps even lower volume bounce and
a different flavor of breakup.

mentoneman":2zsa8qpa said:
the lead channel has a mix between that saggy midrange horn tone of the dumble brigade but with a grindy snarl and presence akin to the marshall; a clear added sting in the frequencies that help you cut through the mix, without being offensive to the ear.
adding the comp made it even more playable--not needed, just more finger candy.

Bingo...and that's what is so different about this amp, its a succesful hybrid by all means. I kind of prefer the drive tones of the 6V6's myself. I do like the cleans of the 6L6 better though. Cleans are killer with a Tele too.

Pretty cool little box, eh ? ;)

have you tried a w/d rig with it?

word of advice-you should!

i pull a line off a hotplate i insert between the amp and cab, and run it into a echolution then out to a tech 21 power engine and the result is amazing.

i also have a barber tone press compressor and an arion sch-1 in front of the amp for more options.

i really should try to do some clips with this little rig

Congrats on the OD-2r. :rock:

Can I speak freely here? ;)

I had a J-2... I have two OD-2s. I've played both amps several times live with a band. Both are killer amps... but I just could never see myself grabbing the J-2 over the OD-2 and an EV equipped 1x12.

:thumbsup: to Alan.

J.T. Guitar":93e108f5 said:

I had a J-2... I have two OD-2s. I've played both amps several times live with a band. Both are killer amps... but I just could never see myself grabbing the J-2 over the OD-2 and an EV equipped 1x12.

that is music to my ears!
i angsted over that j2 versus od2r decision but great is great and the od2r is great!

my next step is trying different tubes to see which i like more...6v or 6L

Still loving it?

mentoneman":1evcn5th said:
J.T. Guitar":1evcn5th said:

that is music to my ears!
i angsted over that j2 versus od2r decision but great is great and the od2r is great!

my next step is trying different tubes to see which i like more...6v or 6L

* velcro-fly *":13xqslkd said:
mentoneman":13xqslkd said:
J.T. Guitar":13xqslkd said:
Still loving it?
yes :)

A week or so in, what do you think?

BTW - saw Bonamassa the other night, sound was incredible.

i've been playing it with

tyler strat->tone press comp for cleans or dirty->hermida dual boost for different feel on dirty->OD2r/el84s->hotplate@-8/treble switch off/bass on/bulb on===dry out to EV 1x12 hughes and ketner wide ported cab===line out to pigtronix echolution set to modulation delay->out to tech 21 power engine for my wet cab

i just got back from a 2 week trip so i haven't played much but soon i'll be ready for a clipworthy demo

i love the overall fatness off the amp, and that is has enough bark on the dirty to make it cool to play crunchy percussive rhythm with, but still warm enough for the solo notes to be vocal and dynamic, not fizzy or compressed.

very curious about those asw 70s speakers...the EV is cool for clean tone but maybe a bit muted compared to my fave all time clean speakers, old jensens, but jensens don't smooth out the lead tones like EVs do, which i like.

mentoneman":jk71rw6s said:
* velcro-fly *":jk71rw6s said:
mentoneman":jk71rw6s said:
J.T. Guitar":jk71rw6s said:
Still loving it?
yes :)

A week or so in, what do you think?

BTW - saw Bonamassa the other night, sound was incredible.

i've been playing it with

tyler strat->tone press comp for cleans or dirty->hermida dual boost for different feel on dirty->OD2r/el84s->hotplate@-8/treble switch off/bass on/bulb on===dry out to EV 1x12 hughes and ketner wide ported cab===line out to pigtronix echolution set to modulation delay->out to tech 21 power engine for my wet cab

i just got back from a 2 week trip so i haven't played much but soon i'll be ready for a clipworthy demo

i love the overall fatness off the amp, and that is has enough bark on the dirty to make it cool to play crunchy percussive rhythm with, but still warm enough for the solo notes to be vocal and dynamic, not fizzy or compressed.

very curious about those asw 70s speakers...the EV is cool for clean tone but maybe a bit muted compared to my fave all time clean speakers, old jensens, but jensens don't smooth out the lead tones like EVs do, which i like.

You got some menehune magic going on? how you running EL84's in it ???? sure not 6V6's?

I didn't dig the EV's with that amp at all. You might find that your traditional speaker choices work really well with it. I want to check out the ASW's too. I've got this random Guytron speaker in a Pure Sixty Four 1x12 that has been killer with both the OD2r and the OD2-50. I'll probably get rid of my Marshall 2061cx cab and get another Pure Sixty Four 1x12 (or maybe a Hermida)

Glad you're digging the amp, I figured it would be a good fit for you. :rock:

* velcro-fly *":3acchhoi said:
You got some menehune magic going on? how you running EL84's in it ????

i am dumb.
i meant 6L6s... :salute:

tried my bog 4x12 w/ celestions and i like the EV better.

Back