Rectos now cooler than Diezels?

Diezels are still the rage for me . I do like my Hermanson and wizards better but after that it’s Diezel . I have 4 . But ya they ruled and were were the rage if you look at this forum in the past . Marshall and Rectos just have the myth that carries on forever .And there’s no way for Diezel to compare and surpass that

This.

When I gigged the heaviest from 2000-2015 or so, rarely did I see a Diezel. Not that it means anything, mind you. I just never saw one. Eventually a local guy who was using a VH4 wanted to try my SLO and possibly trade. The VH4 is cool, but something in the tone I didn't care for. But it has a big set of balls and pretty versatile, so I get the attraction.

The G and earlier Rectos, with a boost are beasts with the OS cabs, and can do tighter stuff with a traditional cab. I personally like the Recto tone far more than the VH4 I tried way back.
Honestly, I have no clue how dudes in the late 90s could dial in some of that garbage tone I remember, with any Recto....yuck. Much better tone in those boxes than the nu metal shit.
To be fair, I feel like it’s easy to get a shitty sound from rectos, and takes some work to get the best of them. Straight in is just not a tone I find inspiring at all.

But to your point, I listen to some of that 90s stuff sometimes and am baffled that the guitarist listened back to the tracks and said “yea man that’s the tone”. Then again, maybe it was less about “the tone” and more about suiting the mood of the angsty songs

Who remembers when “pre 500” rectos, whatever that even means now rev wise, were the ones to have??
Every *ARRY amp that’s ever been or will ever be made is a pre 500. I may have even mixed up the decimal point in that statement.

I’ve got to be one of the few that find diezel amps boring af. Mesas ftw imo -much more character to their sound and unbeatable when they’re boosted!
Nah, I and many others would also totally agree with you on that. The only real exception IME are the ‘90’s Blueface and earlier Protoypes he made that really where something else. I wish he’d reissue those and not just cosmetically like with the brief Blueface reissue they did

I love my Herbert, but I’d take my recto in a mix or live anytime. No amp pummels you like a recto, and it is far and away the most dynamic high gain amp in a mix I’ve ever heard. If I was playing live again and wanted to use an amp, it would be extremely difficult not to use it, they are just the best to me.

I'm waiting for the Vox revival.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my one-off Ceriatone AC-100 build, parts on order, and they were closed last week...

Kinda similar for me too. I didn’t really get the appeal of Recto’s until 2020 when I got a Triple Rev F. There’s just nothing else IME that has that gets that throaty growl on powerchords of the orange channel (somehow I had only tried the red ch’s in the past), then I upgraded to a D in 2021 and later a C in 2022

I also for a while wasn’t crazy about Diezel’s either. I found them all kinda sterile, but eventually got a ‘97 Blueface that is something else. I think it’s just that some of these first few versions of some amps were something special and it went away over time with revisions unfortunately. Thankfully Wizard actually seems to get better as he goes unlike a lot these others

I also must
I love my Herbert, but I’d take my recto in a mix or live anytime. No amp pummels you like a recto, and it is far and away the most dynamic high gain amp in a mix I’ve ever heard. If I was playing live again and wanted to use an amp, it would be extremely difficult not to use it, they are just the best to me.
I like Diezel better than my mesas . Now I know I’m the only one lol

To be fair, I feel like it’s easy to get a shitty sound from rectos, and takes some work to get the best of them. Straight in is just not a tone I find inspiring at all.

But to your point, I listen to some of that 90s stuff sometimes and am baffled that the guitarist listened back to the tracks and said “yea man that’s the tone”. Then again, maybe it was less about “the tone” and more about suiting the mood of the angsty songs
The earlier the better for straight-in tone. But those are still better boosted. I always try to max presence with every amp, then B/M/T at noon and adjust. That was a woofy mess lol..but once the bass was down to 9am, gain at 1 o clock I was cookin.

What could be cooler than this?View attachment 305130
This…

0B922E17-709A-4FDB-A15A-DB54BB8138C3.jpeg

I suppose I am in the minority as well, but I would take a VH4, VHX or Herbert over MOST Rectos. I have played a few Rev G's that sound great. Most I didn't like. I have also played my friends Rev F triple that is an absolute monster. No way I am spending the $$$ on what they are going for now.

Maybe Recs just aren't my thing. I remember replacing my dual rec Rev G in 2002ish with a Fryette/VHT Pittbull Ultra-lead and was like,"THAT is how I want an amp to respond!" I also remember getting my first Mark IV a couple years later and thinking that "that" is the Mesa sound/response I like!

I suppose I am in the minority as well, but I would take a VH4, VHX or Herbert over MOST Rectos. I have played a few Rev G's that sound great. Most I didn't like. I have also played my friends Rev F triple that is an absolute monster. No way I am spending the $$$ on what they are going for now.

Maybe Recs just aren't my thing. I remember replacing my dual rec Rev G in 2002ish with a Fryette/VHT Pittbull Ultra-lead and was like,"THAT is how I want an amp to respond!" I also remember getting my first Mark IV a couple years later and thinking that "that" is the Mesa sound/response I like!
Yeah I think a lot of guys that don’t like Recto’s prefer amps with a more immediate response or sharper/harder attack and Recto’s only get in that direction with the right boost, mod or very early serial Rev C (even there some boost needed imo), but the sound itself for me (mainly that throaty growl on powerchords on the orange ch of Rev F’s and earlier) just is my vision of what a great roaring high gain tone is. A lot of amps that respond how I’d like don’t have the actual sound I’d like. No amp IME has it all, but a Rev C boosted with a Klon gets closer to it than most other amps I’ve played as well as a Klon boosted IIC+, Hell Razor KT150 or OG Uber straight in or Blueface too. All legends for a reason

Rectos were the last amps that were able to define the tone of a decade, the 90ies and 2000s. It`s like the JCM 800 in the 80ies and the Plexi in the 70ies. People that grew up with this 90ies tones are getting older now and have the money to spend on a good sounding Recto, unlike when they were 20.

Than there`s the guys that tried Rectos before and didn`t like them, but probably got a hint or two to look out for earlier revisions and how to set them up to sound good.

And last but not least, nothing sounds like a Recto. There are thousand takes on modded Marshall circuits, but if you want Recto, go Recto.

It all ads up why they have their revival

Back