Replace Boss SD-1w and GE-7 with just one pedal?

I’ve been generally digging stacking a Boss SD-1w and GE-7 (in that order) out in front of my 79 2203 and 76 2204. But the GE-7, in spite of being modded, does add noise that even my ISP G-String II is struggling with. And I’m using up two board positions and two power taps.

Anyone know of anything that will give me that stacked boost thing with EQ, to send vintage Marshalls into high gain meltdown?

Here are my likes and dislikes of each:

SD-1w - I run this with the level on 10, Drive on 0, Tone slightly before noon (close to 800hz). Custom mode engaged. I like what this pedal does to the feel and the tone, but it does seem more subtle than I’d like. I’d love to have twice the output on tap. Not that I’d use that much, but I’m on 10 with nowhere to go.

GE-7 (made in Japan, modded by Modest Mike’s Mods) - I’m using this to add an additional mid boost, mostly around 800hz, bringing the level up further, and sculpting the lows depending upon the guitar I’m using at any given time. It works great for that, and also really pushes the preamp hard. But, it does add more noise than I’d like.

I have not liked bringing up the Drive on any boost I’ve tried. I don’t like what that does to the tone. I seem to like clean boosting REALLY hard, and being able to sculpt the tone.

I run a ten band in the loop, so I’m not looking for a boost that will let a ton of lows through.

I tried a Klone, and it was a bit too muddy for what I’m going for.

I tried a Tube Screamer, and it was honestly so similar to the SD-1w, I can’t see that being the direction to go.

I tried a Tech21 Para Driver, which was cool, but I preferred it most with the GE-7, for the additional tone sculpting capabilities. But I had to be careful with it…very easy to get a horrible tone with it.

Replacing the diodes with LED’s in a tubescreamer or SD1 will greatly increase its maximum volume, as their clipping threshold is higher. Though I believe the SD1w will be SMD so not an easy mod on those. Easy mod on the older through-hole pcb ones.

If you like adjusting the eq per guitar or amp you may be best off sticking with an EQ but finding a quieter one. Do you know what mods were done to it? I have a Taiwan ge7 and in its stock form was like a jet engine if I put it in front of a high gain amp. I changed the three jrc022 op amps to ne5532’s and now it’s no more noisy than an overdrive pedal.

dkk92l7mki0amfvbjgaq.jpg

No control over the mids……but this is the only boost/OD that I’ve ever used where you can run up the gain without mucking up the overall tone. I have it sitting next to the
SD-1W and use both for different flavors. Mine is modded to cut a little more low end.
B0BB595F-3173-4F5E-A7DE-CDC4F75C4AA1.jpeg

I’ve been generally digging stacking a Boss SD-1w and GE-7 (in that order) out in front of my 79 2203 and 76 2204. But the GE-7, in spite of being modded, does add noise that even my ISP G-String II is struggling with. And I’m using up two board positions and two power taps.

Anyone know of anything that will give me that stacked boost thing with EQ, to send vintage Marshalls into high gain meltdown?

Here are my likes and dislikes of each:

SD-1w - I run this with the level on 10, Drive on 0, Tone slightly before noon (close to 800hz). Custom mode engaged. I like what this pedal does to the feel and the tone, but it does seem more subtle than I’d like. I’d love to have twice the output on tap. Not that I’d use that much, but I’m on 10 with nowhere to go.

GE-7 (made in Japan, modded by Modest Mike’s Mods) - I’m using this to add an additional mid boost, mostly around 800hz, bringing the level up further, and sculpting the lows depending upon the guitar I’m using at any given time. It works great for that, and also really pushes the preamp hard. But, it does add more noise than I’d like.

I have not liked bringing up the Drive on any boost I’ve tried. I don’t like what that does to the tone. I seem to like clean boosting REALLY hard, and being able to sculpt the tone.

I run a ten band in the loop, so I’m not looking for a boost that will let a ton of lows through.

I tried a Klone, and it was a bit too muddy for what I’m going for.

I tried a Tube Screamer, and it was honestly so similar to the SD-1w, I can’t see that being the direction to go.

I tried a Tech21 Para Driver, which was cool, but I preferred it most with the GE-7, for the additional tone sculpting capabilities. But I had to be careful with it…very easy to get a horrible tone with it.
My current ge7 and my analogman ge7 are remarkably quiet.

Sell ur ge7 and get a new one.

Next- u may be pinning ur levels too high on the ge7. DECREASE some frequencies and raise others just not as much and increase the volume slider some more. Extremely high settings on the ge7 contribute to noise.

OD1X is easily the quietest pedal I've played. I used to double boost my 800s and Jubilees with an eq pedal, and a Joyo Ultimate Drive/OCD. After getting the OD1X those pedals went in my gig bag. It doesn't strip low end, and you can add some in if you need. I've had the GE 10 and while it is nice, when I dialed it in it sounded exactly like my OD1X but with more noise. Sold the GE10.
Try one out from a retailer that has a good return policy, if you don't like it. It has more than enough gain for a 2203.

I can’t think of an all in one pedal, but the best boosts with old Marshalls I’ve used were the TC Booster, Line Driver, & Distortion; Furman PQ-3; and a Boss GE-10.

I’ve got a Friedman Buxom boost, which I can vouch for as a great, versatile boost, as there’s a lot of EQ tailoring. I don’t have any more old Marshalls to confirm it sounds good as the other three, though.

Edit: I forgot about magik box rocket fuel. Sounded great with a ‘77 2204 and even brought to life a ‘69 1986 that nothing else could bring the gain out of.

OD1X is easily the quietest pedal I've played. I used to double boost my 800s and Jubilees with an eq pedal, and a Joyo Ultimate Drive/OCD. After getting the OD1X those pedals went in my gig bag. It doesn't strip low end, and you can add some in if you need. I've had the GE 10 and while it is nice, when I dialed it in it sounded exactly like my OD1X but with more noise. Sold the GE10.
Try one out from a retailer that has a good return policy, if you don't like it. It has more than enough gain for a 2203.
my ts808HW is extremely quiet. I wonder how the od1x compares..

Back