Replace Boss SD-1w and GE-7 with just one pedal?

I think anytime you stack, you introduce more noise. It really will be hard to replace what the SD-1 and GE-7 do together. It is a bit of a magic combo for a reason and worth the noise if you can manage it. Like single coils.. annoying as hell but in their sweet spot with a DOD250 and some Yngwie to bring the heavens down? Hard to beat.

I’ve been generally digging stacking a Boss SD-1w and GE-7 (in that order) out in front of my 79 2203 and 76 2204. But the GE-7, in spite of being modded, does add noise that even my ISP G-String II is struggling with. And I’m using up two board positions and two power taps.

Anyone know of anything that will give me that stacked boost thing with EQ, to send vintage Marshalls into high gain meltdown?

Here are my likes and dislikes of each:

SD-1w - I run this with the level on 10, Drive on 0, Tone slightly before noon (close to 800hz). Custom mode engaged. I like what this pedal does to the feel and the tone, but it does seem more subtle than I’d like. I’d love to have twice the output on tap. Not that I’d use that much, but I’m on 10 with nowhere to go.

GE-7 (made in Japan, modded by Modest Mike’s Mods) - I’m using this to add an additional mid boost, mostly around 800hz, bringing the level up further, and sculpting the lows depending upon the guitar I’m using at any given time. It works great for that, and also really pushes the preamp hard. But, it does add more noise than I’d like.

I have not liked bringing up the Drive on any boost I’ve tried. I don’t like what that does to the tone. I seem to like clean boosting REALLY hard, and being able to sculpt the tone.

I run a ten band in the loop, so I’m not looking for a boost that will let a ton of lows through.

I tried a Klone, and it was a bit too muddy for what I’m going for.

I tried a Tube Screamer, and it was honestly so similar to the SD-1w, I can’t see that being the direction to go.

I tried a Tech21 Para Driver, which was cool, but I preferred it most with the GE-7, for the additional tone sculpting capabilities. But I had to be careful with it…very easy to get a horrible tone with it.
it's not newsworthy, but he AM King of Tone does exactly what you're describing....YMMV :)

I have to tell you.... I have tried soooo many overdrives, and the one that still stays either on the board, or just in front of most amps, (High gain, or clean) is probably the best sleeper out there. The VOX Ice nine Satriani overdrive. Not expensive, and has a boost. It also has separate treble and bass knobs. It is very quiet. You're welcome...... :giggle:

I'm late to the party but the Optimist by Jackson Audio pretty much blows every thing away.

One side is a Klon. The other is a Timmy. Then you have a seperate 3 band EQ that you can use with or without the overdrives. I'm pretty sure it's never coming off my board!

Attachments

• 71sRiFkqfZL.jpg
    71sRiFkqfZL.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 9
On the Klon side of things; a Zoom PD-01 Power drive.

Or a Boss OD-3; has more low end and output than an SD-1.
MXR Timmy was nice too, since it had a setting that worked both as a boost as wel as a standalone low gain drive into a clean-ish amp.

I'm late to the party but the Optimist by Jackson Audio pretty much blows every thing away.

One side is a Klon. The other is a Timmy. Then you have a seperate 3 band EQ that you can use with or without the overdrives. I'm pretty sure it's never coming off my board!

I'm interested in this one.. is the EQ always active and just neutral at 12 then? I sometimes find the Klon circuits to be a bit girthy, sounds like this would address that AND give me the ability to shape my clean boost into it. Am I wrong?

I'm interested in this one.. is the EQ always active and just neutral at 12 then? I sometimes find the Klon circuits to be a bit girthy, sounds like this would address that AND give me the ability to shape my clean boost into it. Am I wrong?
Hey Kapo,

The EQ is not always active, you press both switches at the same time in order to turn it on and off. Giving the pedals tons of options.. Everything on that EQ is neutral at 12 o'clock except the treble, I found I have to give a little more treble, maybe 1 or 2 o'clock for the treble would be neutral.

You could definitely alleviate that girth problem with the EQ and the tone knob. Because you can run the 3 EQ bands without the OD's, you can definitely manipulate your clean tone, and/or the Clean boost into the Optimist.

Hope this helps!

The only pedal that comes to mind that might be remotely similar to that is the Akai G Drive

I haven't had one since I was a teenager; wouldn't mind trying one again now that I actually have good amps lmao

bginc5yjy8ha1.jpg

Back