So if Ed used the neck PAF pickup from his ES335 what magnet did Gibson use in the neck p/u?

i had a highorder A2 8.5k in my old ibanez basswood strat. cool sound.
I took mine out and did a little test a few months ago with magnet swapping - recording a clip each time for my own reference.

A2, then A5, and A8

Mine measures about 8.8kΩ

Is there a pickup winder out there who has worked directly with more of the guitar heroes in the world than Seymour?

What is hilarious to me is that every single boutique pickup winder in a basement in Arkansas or his mom's garage in Minnesota are the only guys in the whole world who have figured out the correct recipe for duplicating old PAF's or strat pickups or whatever. They are the only ones who have an old pickup winding machine from Gibson or have determined the correct metallurgy. You have to ask yourself, who worked with more of the stars back in their heyday than Seymour or Larry DiMarzio? These guys were in New York (Larry) and London/Los Angeles (Seymour) where all the stars were and were ripping apart guitars and pickups back when '59 Les Pauls and 60's strats were just used guitars. Almost every one of my favorite tone guys have worked directly with Seymour, not some obscure pickup winder in Reno. How many real PAF's did all these Johnny Come Lately boutique pickup guys ever play through let alone rip apart? Seymour and DiMarzio were ripping them apart when they were a dime a dozen.

I'm just saying, the hype and smoke and mirrors in the boutique pickup winding world when it comes to who makes the most vintage correct pickups is downright laughable.
Yep! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seymour was the original Boutique Pickup Winder with Larry Dimarzio also in the mid 70's.

I was actually surprised at how aggressive and gainy the 7.65Kohm SD59N that Jim Gaustad used in the WACF video. I would have guessed a MM1400 for WACF and so did Jim but he said he ended up with the 7.65K SD59N and it grinds alot like the MM1400 which is 9K with a ceramic magnet.
Sure, but the main guitar used to track WACF was the Chris Holmes Ibanez Destroyer..

Gaustad says he tried 8 different pickups in his '76 Ibanez Destroyer while recording that video, and he wound up using the stock Ibanez Super 70 because it sounded like the WACF record tone.

:unsure:

i installed both the 57 classic and the + in my les paul deluxe. they were ok but much brighter in a harsh way in that guitar. when i ordered my 450 i spoke to Tom about other pickups i’d used and liked. we got to the 57+ and i shared my experience of it being kinda thin and scratchy compared to my duncans. that’s when he revealed that he helped designed the 57/+ for Gibson! oops!
Well, that's why I mentioned it (because of Tom's involvement). I like brighter pickups and running the amp darker, because it brings out the harmonic complexity easier. Much easier to subtract than add what isn't there. What EJ has always done (and Holdsworth).

rick beato was right... here we are in 2024 still debating and trying to get as close as possible to that sound.:ROFLMAO:
i love it though... and i totally understand.

...now what was the average, standing humidity level in the room he recorded in!? the soundwaves could have been slightly dampened by the moisture in the air causing some of the highs to decay faster than the lows. This is key info to obtaining Eddies tone.
as the AV Director for a large church i can tell you the temperature shifts in SoCal could really affect the sound of our system.

Well, that's why I mentioned it (because of Tom's involvement). I like brighter pickups and running the amp darker, because it brings out the harmonic complexity easier. Much easier to subtract than add what isn't there. What EJ has always done (and Holdsworth).
Ron, are you blending in a JBL D-120 with the Celestion ?

I'm fairly certain Jim Gaustad used the Gibson Burstbucker in his VH1 brown Sound Quest video, I'm not sure what magnet or if that classifies as a 57 Classic?? I think it was around 8.3K ohms or something like that.

I remember Victor's VH clips with the Peacemaker amp slaved to a Peavey Classic 50/50 with the Tom Holmes 455 is when that pickup came on the radar for me.

What magnet does Tom Holmes use in his neck pickup version the 450?

What magnet does he used in the 455, and A-5 or the full strength A-2 as Arch Stanton says?

Since Arcane trained under Tom Arcane uses the A-5 according to what they say in the pickup specs of the Triple Clone which I think he says was a 62 or 63 PAF that sounded particularly good to his ears so he cloned it.

Sure, but the main guitar used to track WACF was the Chris Holmes Ibanez Destroyer..

Gaustad says he tried 8 different pickups in his '76 Ibanez Destroyer while recording that video, and he wound up using the stock Ibanez Super 70 because it sounded like the WACF record tone.

:unsure:
Yeah..... I am aware of that and I have tried the Super 70 a few times and it always leaves me wanting for some reason, it feels thin and sounds nothing like Gaustads results with it granted mine was a clone from Smits pickups so who knows how close it was to an actual Maxon super 70.

My point was it was surprising to me that a 7.65K pickup could get that gainy and be as grindy, aggressive, crunchy yet have alot of sustain as an 9K pickup either with an A-5 or ceramic....yet there is the proof right there in Jim's WACF video.

I'm always on the lookout for a vintage SD59N 7.6 or above..........:LOL: Even though I am quite content with my 78 model and the MM1400 I just have to hear what I hear in Gaustad's WACF video for myself.......:lame::2thumbsup::yes:

Great discussion guys..... I am really enjoying the discourse. facts and specs!

Jim Gaustad PAF pickup that’s in the black-white franky was a Gibson 57 classic that Jim changed to a short alnico 5 magnet that was the magnet that was in a 1961 Gibson PAF that Edward took out of his 1961 Gibson es335. For the Van Halen 1 sound I really don’t care for alnico 2 I’ve done a lot of experimenting.Ive seen Jim’s YouTube videos and have spoken to him a few times about this subject.Jim had Jalen pickups make him a PAF pickup with a short alnico 5 magnet wound to 7.8k. Jim i believe is using a Throbak pickup wound with a similar spec as we speak .

Last edited:
Jim Gaustad PAF pickup that’s in the black-white franky was a Gibson 57 classic that Jim changed to a short alnico 5 magnet that was the magnet that was in a 1961 Gibson PAF that Edward took out of his 1961 Gibson es335. For the Van Halen 1 sound I really don’t care for alnico 2 I’ve done a lot of experimenting.Ive seen Jim’s YouTube videos and have spoken to him a few times about this subject.Jim had Jalen pickups make him a PAF pickup with a short alnico 5 magnet wound to 7.8k. Jim i believe is using a Throbak pickup wound with a similar spec as we speak .
Hey.... welcome to the the discussion......

Jim clearly states @ 1 minute timestamp in his VH1 Brown Sound Quest video the pickup in the B/W Franky is an 8.5K Gibson Burstbucker. Maybe he has changed it up since then but that's what he says.

I’m sorry it was the Gibson Burstbucker not the Gibson 57 classic,Jim did replace the alnico 2 magnet with a short alnico 5. Gibson has so many versions of the PAF

Jalen makes nice pickups but I’m not a fan of alnico 2 its to soft sounding and the attack is not there.For Van Halen 1 I like alnico 8

I believe Edward was using stock Ibanez super 70 pickups in his destroyer for Van Halen 1,after he cut the destroyer which is the shark then he changed the pickup to the mighty mite pickup hard to say if it was the 1300 or the 1400.There is a photo of Edward holding the shark when he was on the 1978 japan tour and the nickel covered Ibanez super 70 was still in the guitar.

I believe Edward was using stock Ibanez super 70 pickups in his destroyer for Van Halen 1,after he cut the destroyer which is the shark then he changed the pickup to the mighty mite pickup hard to say if it was the 1300 or the 1400.There is a photo of Edward holding the shark when he was on the 1978 japan tour and the nickel covered Ibanez super 70 was still in the guitar.
When Jim did the shootout between the Super 70 and the Super Distortion, I had Jeff @ HighOrder wind a clone of his Super 70 after hearing that video.

Jesus fucking Christ! At this point, can't all the EVH worshipers just focus on copping his playing style and quit chasing his tone? It's not anything special! You don't sound like Eddie because you can't fucking play like Eddie! Get over it and go practice. Get a cheap 5150 iconic and go to town. Ed would still sound like Ed through Dimebags rig.
It’s a fucking guitar gear discussion forum. This thread is a perfect example of exactly why this forum exists.

I had a local pickup winder(Kolev Pickups) who is extremely knowledge about PAF pickup and pickups in general he made me a copy of a Ibanez super 70 and he also made me a copy of a super 70 with a alnico 9 magnet and I can tell you that it’s amazing sounding

Last edited:
Back