So, Regarding The VH4...

I currently have KT77's biased normally in my 2004 VH4, but I prefer 6550's biased cold. I fiddled around in the Axe FX and this was the combination that clearly sounded the best. I've got a set ready for when the KT77's are wiped.

I definitely suggest trying a cold bias, though. Around 45-50% sounded best to me. It clears up the midrange congestion that Diezels sometimes have and will make the amp work better with a variety of speaker cabinets.

Just my two cents.
I got 77s in atm and made it all congested compared to my 6l6s
Will work for 6l6s

Any preferences/suggestions for bias with JJ 6l6GC's? I'm going to put some into my VH2 this week. Switching from GL kt77's. I liked the GL's better than the JJ's for kt77's, but I want to try something different. I'm mainly interested in how the response of the amp changes under the fingers. I play SOAD, Tool, Mudvayne, twelve foot ninja type stuff.

Last edited:
Any preferences/suggestions for bias with JJ 6l6's? I'm going to put some into my VH2 this week. Switching from GL kt77's. I liked the GL's better than the JJ's for kt77's, but I want to try something different. I'm mainly interested in how the response of the amp changes under the fingers. I play SOAD, Tool, Mudvayne, twelve foot ninja type stuff.
Try 30mA per tube

I tried and I loved it, but I switched back to 8 ohm after a couple of week, simply to see if it was better on the 4 ohm tap or on the 8 ohm. Pay attention to the resistor and the condenser you have there, I use a FL cab and bass are less prominent, all the controls, mids are less "congested", and being naturally more scooped on the 4 ohm, you can crank them more without sound honky. Deep control sounds good at 3 o'clock with no boomyness. I'm thinking to rewire it on the 4 ohm and increase the value of one resistor to have a bit more bass. The solution to avoid this is change the cabinet in favour of a rear loaded one.
If you find a nice combination let me know. I’m planning on eventually adding a NFB pot to my vh4 so I can change the response whenever I want.

If you find a nice combination let me know. I’m planning on eventually adding a NFB pot to my vh4 so I can change the response whenever I want.
This is exactly what I was thinking, the problem is 1) stay with the same value and simply add a switch to select whatever you want or 2) find a way to add a resistor in the circuit just in case you have my situation where a FL cab makes the bass tighter but not too present. I switched back to 8 for now, since I'll find a way to solve the problem.

Back