Soldano SLO 100’s...not one for sale anywhere new or used?

Racerxrated":3ram43it said:
BackCrack":3ram43it said:
I sold my SLO last month to a local guy a few towns north that has bought a number of Soldano things off me over the past few years. He has a nice collection going; just about one of everything except the rack stuff. Mine had cosmetics that were far, far from mint. I gigged and recorded the hell out of it, but did nothing with it for the past 18 months. I cut him a break at 3k because of all the other stuff he's bought from me. I probably could've held out for a lot more and shipped it. Meh, I made some damn good coin on it at that price. Plus, he'll let me borrow it for a session or whatever if I really have to have 'that' tone for some reason.

I'd rather focus on playing than owning an amp that just sits 98% of the time.
They are great amps, I've had three and they all killed. I'd try to get it as Marshally as possible, and with that power section there was nothing better. Until I tried a Wizard MCI. As great as the SLO is, for what I like the Wizard does it best. And as killer the SLO power section is the MCI is even better. For my needs.
But, if I had the cash to grab another at a good price I definitely would.
:rock:
I had a very similar experience. Loved my SLO for a while and then I got a 1996 Wizard MC I (I now have a 2016 MTL instead) and it sent the SLO packing. The SLO is more fluid and compressed which can be preferable for some things, but my Cameron modded Marshall’s and even the Gower’s I used to have were still better in that regard imo and more growly and raw/pissed off than the SLO

I think the Mezzabarba Mzero I used to have can be a great alternative for a SLO and a lot cheaper used. To my ears, it sounded like a much bigger, more evil, pissed off SLO with a little Marshall in there. Not as fluid or compressed as the SLO from what I remember, but for me was a better amp overall. I sold it since my Atomica outdid it for my taste, but still a killer amp. My Atomica modded SLP though is my favorite Marshall type amp I’ve tried and sent lots of great amps I had packing. I’d even pick it over my Wizard MTL and other Cameron modded amps if I was forced to

braintheory":305xculf said:
Racerxrated":305xculf said:
BackCrack":305xculf said:
I sold my SLO last month to a local guy a few towns north that has bought a number of Soldano things off me over the past few years. He has a nice collection going; just about one of everything except the rack stuff. Mine had cosmetics that were far, far from mint. I gigged and recorded the hell out of it, but did nothing with it for the past 18 months. I cut him a break at 3k because of all the other stuff he's bought from me. I probably could've held out for a lot more and shipped it. Meh, I made some damn good coin on it at that price. Plus, he'll let me borrow it for a session or whatever if I really have to have 'that' tone for some reason.

I'd rather focus on playing than owning an amp that just sits 98% of the time.
They are great amps, I've had three and they all killed. I'd try to get it as Marshally as possible, and with that power section there was nothing better. Until I tried a Wizard MCI. As great as the SLO is, for what I like the Wizard does it best. And as killer the SLO power section is the MCI is even better. For my needs.
But, if I had the cash to grab another at a good price I definitely would.
:rock:
I had a very similar experience. Loved my SLO for a while and then I got a 1996 Wizard MC I (I now have a 2016 MTL instead) and it sent the SLO packing. The SLO is more fluid and compressed which can be preferable for some things, but my Cameron modded Marshall’s and even the Gower’s I used to have were still better in that regard imo and more growly and raw/pissed off than the SLO

I think the Mezzabarba Mzero I used to have can be a great alternative for a SLO and a lot cheaper used. To my ears, it sounded like a much bigger, more evil, pissed off SLO with a little Marshall in there. Not as fluid or compressed as the SLO from what I remember, but for me was a better amp overall. I sold it since my Atomica outdid it for my taste, but still a killer amp. My Atomica modded SLP though is my favorite Marshall type amp I’ve tried and sent lots of great amps I had packing. I’d even pick it over my Wizard MTL and other Cameron modded amps if I was forced to
That's a heck of a stable you have.....I'd have a hard time picking one out for sure!

Metlupass2":1xkkc25i said:
Fuck. I should have waited to sell mine....

Hey man, you can have it back....for a small upcharge. :LOL: :LOL:

They’re going for over $5000 now used when they pop up. I’ve seen two go at that price. One at $3400.
I dont believe that they will come back down in price, unless they become available again, handwired the same way, with the same transformers.

OP, you can sell now and probably make $5000.
But you may never own an original SLO again.

What ya gonna do?

I think the biggest issue is going to be the DeYoung transformers.
Someone like B.A.D. may end up making an SLO V2, but from what I understand, the DeYoung deal is with Mike only.
DeYoung don't really even want to be making the tranny's anymore, as they do Aerospace tech now, but they agree to keep Mike supplied.
If Mike is out of the picture, the DeYoung tranny's go poof.
What that will be worth going forward, I have no idea, but it sure seems to guarantee that the Soldano built SLO's will always carry a premium, no matter what.
Things that become un-obtainium usually go up in value.

From my experience, having built a number of SLO clones using O’Netics iron, if someone wanted to do a V2 SLO with improved loop, clean etc, it would sound just as good. The O’Netics iron is every bit as good as the DeYoung (if not better). It’s all in the wind and iron used and they have nailed it.

I’ve AB’d my clones with originals and they sounded every bit as strong and confronting. Perhaps even a touch bigger.

But, the mystique of the DeYoung iron and built by Mike makes the SLO appeal.

Just my 2 cents

+1 Yeah, this is what I'm getting at.
I'm just commenting on what I see as the psychology of the music gear marketplace.
I've never compared my SLO with a clone built with Onetics iron, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the clone sounded as good.
I just don't think it factors into the equation.
I've played lots of vintage guitars that were dogs, and lots of old Marshalls the sucked donkey balls, but it almost doesn't matter as long as it has the right serial # / date / age/ name on the headstock. The stuff still moves for big coin.( and SLO's definitely don't suck!!)
Having said all that, I would agree that 5k US$ for an SLO is getting a little crazy at this point....

fusedbrain":9pyp6u0x said:
I'm just commenting on what I see as the psychology of the music gear marketplace.
I've never compared my SLO with a clone built with Onetics iron, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the clone sounded as good.
I've played lots of vintage guitars that were dogs, and lots of old Marshalls the sucked donkey balls, but it almost doesn't matter as long as it has the right serial # / date / age/ name on the headstock. The stuff still moves for big coin.( and SLO's definitely don't suck!!)
Having said all that, I would agree that 5k US$ for an SLO is getting a little crazy at this point....
Long ago I read about an Onetics SLO Clone comparo with the real deal. While the clone sounded good it did NOT have the same 3D quality at volume like the original. I think this was on TGP.

Racerxrated":383bo5dr said:
fusedbrain":383bo5dr said:
Long ago I read about an Onetics SLO Clone comparo with the real deal. While the clone sounded good it did NOT have the same 3D quality at volume like the original. I think this was on TGP.

Well I can assure you it does have the 3D quality at volume, not sure I'd trust the TGP fan boys!!

My prediction is that six months from now there will be many SLO100 owners that wish they had sold their amplifiers now…

narad":35hom8h2 said:
In 10, 20 years down the road, there won't be demand for any amps. Where's my legendary Zenith black and white tube television from the 1960s? Worthless, apart from some sort of quirky bookcase in a hipster apartment.

I think yesterday or a couple of days ago, the first-ever version of the Apple McIntosh was sold for over $300,000. So don't be so sure. Soldano SLOs are legendary.

jlb32":1i78mqd0 said:
blackba":1i78mqd0 said:
It will be interested to see what the prices of the HR25 does as well, glad I got mine last year.

There do not seem to be any Hot Rod 25's around for sale either.

I saw someone selling one from Israel for about $2500 a month ago. Checked again the next day and gone.

I was lucky to find my HR50 for a good price, still very stoked about that acquisition. And local (i.e.e 240V) voltage, which is great.

kdmay":1huab58q said:
Racerxrated":1huab58q said:
fusedbrain":1huab58q said:

Well I can assure you it does have the 3D quality at volume, not sure I'd trust the TGP fan boys!!
:LOL: :LOL:
Good point. I have played a used SLO clone at a Music go Round years back, but I don't know if it had Onetics iron. It sounded just like the HR100 I had at the time. No 3D quality like the real deal.

Piero the Guitarero":1yxt46tf said:
Death by Uberschall":1yxt46tf said:
Wonder how this will affect the SLO Lifetime Warranty?

maddnotez":1yxt46tf said:
sadistik42":1yxt46tf said:
Piero the Guitarero":1yxt46tf said:
If Mike quits and retirers .... what happens with the transfereble lifetime-warranty?

If someone else isn't taking over production and servicing, you can probably transfer it to your garbage bin.

Honestly though who has ever needed to use it? Those amps seem to be very clean and well made. Any good tech should be able to fix whatever issues may arise, yeah I get it no free repairs but unless you happen to live near a certified tech (I have no idea who is certified with Soldano) you would probably pay just as much to ship the amp vs. bringing to your local tech.

Yeah mine is serial #90302 and never ever had any need for the warranty. I think I blew a fuse once? (operator error). Desert Island amp for sure.

boyedav":2b0gmuyv said:
nightlight":2b0gmuyv said:
I think yesterday or a couple of days ago, the first-ever version of the Apple McIntosh was sold for over $300,000. So don't be so sure. Soldano SLOs are legendary.

I could see someone paying top $ for one of the first SLOs Mike made, or a prototype or one-off, but I don't think we'd see that kind of inflation for his regular production amps.

Maybe I missed this, but has there been official word from Mike that the SLO is being discontinued and production won't continue under another entity? If there aren't going to be any more SLOs at all, then once the dust settles prices will probably follow the same pattern as the Mesa IIC+/++. I think a lot will depend on if production continues under the Soldano badge without Mike, and/or if that vacuum is filled other ways. There will always be people who are going to pay more for an original SLO, but a lot will depend on whether people are wanting the sound or the brand.

Mike is not much for the internet, so there is no official announcement on the site or anything like that. But a few on the forums have confirmed the news when they spoke with him recently. One of his dealers BCM used to have a detailed write up on it, but that has since been stripped down to what you see now.

https://bluescitymusic.com/collections/soldano

I would really be surprised if Mike let anyone continue with the Soldano name. It was his baby for all these years and he was so protective of it.

Soldano's made by anyone else just will not be the same IMO. They might be really good amps but just not the same as when Mike made them.

In a way I would like to see the Soldano name continue but in a way it would just feel tarnished for the Soldano name, if Mike retires.

jlb32":3dlwahw7 said:
I would really be surprised if Mike let anyone continue with the Soldano name. It was his baby for all these years and he was so protective of it.

Soldano's made by anyone else just will not be the same IMO. They might be really good amps but just not the same as when Mike made them.

In a way I would like to see the Soldano name continue but in a way it would just feel tarnished for the Soldano name, if Mike retires.

Very true. Well said...

It’s really an unprecedented scenario. I think it’s totally unknown how the market will react. Nothing to base it on, really.

Back