Soldano SLO 100’s...not one for sale anywhere new or used?

I’m never selling mine. I’ve never heard a clone that sounds close. I highly doubt they go back to the used prices of old. We’ll see. Mine’s not going anywhere.

Thanks for the link. It's nice to hear it directly from the source, even if there's no surprise there.

That shop is pretty cool. It seems like there's a really common thread of gearheads and amp builders that runs throughout the business, doesn't there?

Something to consider with the talk of the MK2C+ stuff is that Randall Smith isn’t retiring. Mesa/Boogie still lives on. So there’s still the possibility that that amp could be reissued at any time Mesa is still in business. The fact is that when Mike Soldano has officially left the building, no one will ever be able to get a SLO made by Soldano, the company as is was under him, ever again.

Mr. Willy":2sn3id6k said:
Something to consider with the talk of the MK2C+ stuff is that Randall Smith isn’t retiring. Mesa/Boogie still lives on. So there’s still the possibility that that amp could be reissued at any time Mesa is still in business. The fact is that when Mike Soldano has officially left the building, no one will ever be able to get a SLO made by Soldano, the company as is was under him, ever again.
They already have ....the JP2C. But as most who have compared them to the real deal will attest, they ain't the same. Lol. So unless Mesa purposely changed the circuit, which I doubt, the C+ number stays right at the SLO number give or take. Whether it's the magical transformers from long ago, or components that aren't made anymore the JP while a very cool amp is no real 2C+.

Racerxrated":2fpbow1q said:
Mr. Willy":2fpbow1q said:
They already have ....the JP2C. But as most who have compared them to the real deal will attest, they ain't the same. Lol. So unless Mesa purposely changed the circuit, which I doubt, the C+ number stays right at the SLO number give or take. Whether it's the magical transformers from long ago, or components that aren't made anymore the JP while a very cool amp is no real 2C+.

I don’t consider the JP2C the same as the original either. It’s a cool amp, for sure. Not knocking it. But, still, Randall Smith isn’t retiring. Mesa Boogie is still in business. The POSSIBILITY of Mesa reissuing an amp as close as possible to the original still exists. So, while the comparison of used 2C+ is certainly intriguing, it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Again though, we’ll see what happens.

Mr. Willy":639dlxam said:
Racerxrated":639dlxam said:
Mr. Willy":639dlxam said:

I don’t consider the JP2C the same as the original either. It’s a cool amp, for sure. Not knocking it. But, still, Randall Smith isn’t retiring. Mesa Boogie is still in business. The POSSIBILITY of Mesa reissuing an amp as close as possible to the original still exists. So, while the comparison of used 2C+ is certainly intriguing, it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Again though, we’ll see what happens.
I hear ya. It is a different comparison with Mike retiring. There has to be something, in the original 2C+ circuit that isn't produced anymore, or the original transformer specs can't be had. If they are able to reproduce the EXACT amp and they've just decided not to, that's a huge mistake since they could sell thousands of them immediately.

It's my understanding that Mesa can't source the original ginormous transformers from the IIC+. I've had a JP2C and own a factory IIC++. The JP2C is a great amp, but to me they are quite a bit different.

I do also have a red stripe Mark iii with the smaller, later transformer, and that thing cops a very convincing IIC+ tone. A VERY underrated amp. So who knows....

RedPlated":2raxkt4u said:
It's my understanding that Mesa can't source the original ginormous transformers from the IIC+. I've had a JP2C and own a factory IIC++. The JP2C is a great amp, but to me they are quite a bit different.

I do also have a red stripe Mark iii with the smaller, later transformer, and that thing cops a very convincing IIC+ tone. A VERY underrated amp. So who knows....
I've often wondered if the "can't source" really applies to transformers or if the manufacturers do this on purpose to add some "Mystique" to their designs. If you have all of the design specs and the materials list that was used, it should be duplicatable. Transformer companies wind them everyday, and if you follow the recipe, it should be repeatable. Think about it, if you have one go bad, you can always send it back to the manufacturer for a rewind,...... Add to that, many transformer companies will take one you have and backwards engineer it to duplicate if needed.

Death by Uberschall":byby72u2 said:
RedPlated":byby72u2 said:

I've often wondered if the "can't source" really applies to transformers or if the manufacturers do this on purpose to add some "Mystique" to their designs. If you have all of the design specs and the materials list that was used, it should be duplicatable. Transformer companies wind them everyday, and if you follow the recipe, it should be repeatable. Think about it, if you have one go bad, you can always send it back to the manufacturer for a rewind,...... Add to that, many transformer companies will take one you have and backwards engineer it to duplicate if needed.

Yes but certain materials and/or processes may no longer be available. Just like the original wire used for PAF pickups is no longer available or produced. Without it, you can’t 100% replicate them. Another example are NOS tubes. The process isn’t repeatable because it used harmful non-compliant chemicals. CP tubes will never be the same because the process can no longer be the same.

And again, the argument that the SLO copy transformers aren’t the same as a DeYoung, even if they’re copied and reverse engineered. I’m sure Mesa had their transformers made for them. So who knows if they have the exact specs.

Death by Uberschall":3i3r59kz said:

I'm assuming it's more a case that the cost to have someone build those same spec'd transformers now, along with returning to old circuit board designs, etc. would produce an amp at a price point they don't feel would be worth the effort. There's a lot of discussion about these old magical amps on forums populated with us old guitar players, but I suspect in the end we wouldn't pay the price for a new one when we find out it's on par with used prices for originals and Mesa produces modern amps with a ton more versatility that are less expensive and still consider very good by a lot of people - probably far more than those interested in older amps.

RedPlated":2z0iw94t said:
SQUAREHEAD":2z0iw94t said:
Cash in while it’s a sellers market!
Changes are coming soon…

Details?

Hey Red Plated, (Love that name) , I have no details, Bro, but it’s inevitable…
Would you build a company for 30 years and then just all of a sudden throw it away and close it down and not reap any benefit from that 30 years of hard work?
Mike is a very smart man, and he’s not just going to throw it all down a hole and lose all that he’s worked for… it’s his retirement Package…
My gut tells me there’s a whole lot more coming out with the Soldano logo.

Back