Starting a 2204 build

ledvedder

I'm laying out the parts to start what I think will be a 2204 build. A lot of this came from a Modulus plexi kit, but I already have my Ceriatone Plexi. After a lot of back and forth, my thought is to build a straight up 2204, then add any additional mods or tweaks from there. I'll obviously have some extra holes, since thus is a 4 hole chassis. Maybe Jose clipping, FET boost, effects loop, etc. I'm definitely open to suggestions. I'm not exactly certain if this turret board will accommodate a 2204 circuit, but I think back in the day the 1987 and 2204 used the same board? The smaller board on the right came from a Trinity 20 watt jcm800 kit. I used the rest of that kit to build a different amp.
20220814_143941_copy_4000x3000.jpg

Reactions: Geo
Curious about pre / pwr tubes, speakers and pickup ? This RedPlated fellow is based in what state ?

Please listen to what others are saying and do not run the wires through the sharp edges of the transformer mounting holes. Not only is it a chafe and shock hazard but you’re going to hate yourself if you ever have to change out the transformer after it’s already built. Undo the heater wiring with the blue wires from the PT tap and move those as well as the other wires out of those holes as well. It’s not only super dangerous but if you ever sell the amp and/or want to change out the PT, you’re going to do a lot of cussing or someone else will be cussing you.

Please listen to what others are saying and do not run the wires through the sharp edges of the transformer mounting holes. Not only is it a chafe and shock hazard but you’re going to hate yourself if you ever have to change out the transformer after it’s already built. Undo the heater wiring with the blue wires from the PT tap and move those as well as the other wires out of those holes as well. It’s not only super dangerous but if you ever sell the amp and/or want to change out the PT, you’re going to do a lot of cussing or someone else will be cussing you.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to reroute those wires. I went back and looking at my other builds, and I didn't run them this way. I don't know what I was thinking. Doh!

It's a wild Friday night over here! I hope I got these B+ and ground wires correct. I guess I'll find out when I power it up.
20220819_220157_copy_4000x3000.jpg
20220819_220220_copy_4000x2788.jpg

Nice. Looks like a decent platform for mods. Room to add a master and two more gain controls, along with depth and presence. Kind of tight but it can work. Is the PT cutout standard size for a typical 50w Marshall laydown?

Nice. Looks like a decent platform for mods. Room to add a master and two more gain controls, along with depth and presence. Kind of tight but it can work. Is the PT cutout standard size for a typical 50w Marshall laydown?
I'm not sure about the PT cutout. I got it from Modulus. To start, I'm doing the 1987/2204 2in1 mod. I'm gonna keep the presence on the front and put a ppimv on the back. Probably add an effects loop too.
Neil Special.jpg

Back