Stiletto Ace -- Complete Contentment

cibyl

I picked up my Ace back in August and have spent a lot of time with it. I tell ya, for me, it's as close to the perfect amp for what I need and like. All the modes are extremely usable, it records well and it cuts through great in a loud two guitar hard rock band mix. It sounded awesome at rehearsal last night. I've been going between my Tremoverb, Single Recto and Ace the last 2 months and the Ace has just performed the best. I still love my Tremoverb head (keeping it selling the 2x12 combo), the Single is very nice, but I'm gonna sell it too.

It feels good to REALLY like your rig. :) 8)

daver101":ae6ee said:
Thats the way I feel about my Superdrive 45. It's the most well balanced amp I have ever owned.

I used to own a SD80 -- Out of all the amps I've owned that the one I wish I still had. I'd love to try out a 45.

cibyl":189d8 said:
I picked up my Ace back in August and have spent a lot of time with it. I tell ya, for me, it's as close to the perfect amp for what I need and like. All the modes are extremely usable, it records well and it cuts through great in a loud two guitar hard rock band mix. It sounded awesome at rehearsal last night. I've been going between my Tremoverb, Single Recto and Ace the last 2 months and the Ace has just performed the best. I still love my Tremoverb head (keeping it selling the 2x12 combo), the Single is very nice, but I'm gonna sell it too.

Sure, sure, rub it in ya facker!

ratter":c3d91 said:

Sure, sure, rub it in ya facker!

Hahaha,...hey Mikey. What can I say, I haven't actually thought about buying an amp for awhile. Feels kinda good.

I really need to try one of those amps out, well maybe not.

If it could help me cut my amp inventory, that would be great. I am very happy with my amps, I just wish I could be happy with less.

My name is Brian and I am an Ampoholic :cheers:

cibyl":61122 said:

I was intrigued by the Stiletto, played through both the Series I and II and enjoyed both although I prefer the series II personally :)

If I didn't have a Splawn Quickrod I'd probably own one right now for my Marshallesque fix.

cibyl":46ce0 said:

I liked the 2x12 Ace i played. The Mark Boogies are still my favorites but the new Ace is great. I'll take it over any new Marshall.

SgtThump":7c4ec said:

Good for you!!! I really like the Stage 1 model. I know you owned both for a while and think the Ace is better, but is it THAT much better? What modes are you using on each channel with the band?

The clean modes and the fluid gain are much improved. Tite gain is about the same,....it has a tad more gain. The Crunch modes sound the same to me, and that's good because I like them on the Stage I's.

I'm using Tite Clean and Tite Gain modes. I like my amps tite. 8)

I just picked up the 1-12 combo and this is the first Mesa I have owned that the more I play the more I love it. It just keeps getting better and better the more I play it. I had the Trident last year and traded it for a VHT. If you would have told me a month ago that I would get another Stiletto I would have said you're crazy. I'm excited just thinking about the tone I was gettting an hour ago running it thru my Marshall vintage cab. The Ace RULES!!!

VoodooChild24":0037a said:
I want to test one out for myself. I watched the video review of guitar world mag and i must say that i was impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP9hOda_15o
Yea I saw that after I tried it out. I got mine at Guitar Showcase in San Jose. I did not see one when I was at Guitar Center in San Fran last month. I picked up that Einstein they had there. Einstein's a killer amp... more refined than the Mesa but basically the same. The Ace sounds a little tighter with the diode rectifier and a little more aggressive than the Diezel and it's also half the price. Killer, killer amp for the $$$.

He only has the gain maxxed out at the very end for like 5 seconds on fluid drive mode. Believe me it has over the top gain on tap and don't be fooled by 'fluid drive'. It's very tight and crunchy with the Diode rectifier.. I just have not been this impressed by combo amp ever. I don't like the Mark series at all and I owned the Mark III combo when it first came out in '86.

He basically was only using the Crunch setting. He never showed the Tite Gain or Fluid Drive tones.

Edit: simbasa beat me.

OneArmedScissor":eac4d said:

Is he playing that with the gain maxed? I thought those had maybe a little more, at least? :?

It has plenty of gain, at least for me. I don't think it's a Metal amp at all,..rock, hard rock tones are easy to cop with it though. The Fluid Drive has a bunch of gain and compresses more than Tite Gain,....with the right guitar and pup combo you can get some liquidy lead tones with ease.

I've tried one once and I really liked it even at lower volume at the store. I can only imagine what it sounds like cranked within a band context.

Have you recorded any clips using the Stiletto?

philb":2ecfc said:
I've tried one once and I really liked it even at lower volume at the store. I can only imagine what it sounds like cranked within a band context.

Have you recorded any clips using the Stiletto?

I've done a few -- But they're not up to snuff to post. Plus, the amp stays over at our rehearsal abode most of the time.

Back