Stiletto Ace -- Complete Contentment

JackBootedThug":42d27 said:
I bet that would sound sweet in stereo with my rectoverb.

I bet it would sound even sweeter in stereo with my Tremoverb. :eek: :wink: :mrgreen:

cibyl":2eb2b said:

I've done a few -- But they're not up to snuff to post. Plus, the amp stays over at our rehearsal abode most of the time.

I understand, no problem.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":e11c9 said:

Thanks! Watching the video now. Nice tones! That guy is suuuuuuuper gay, though. :)

HAHA, i used to know that guy. He's in a local cover band in NJ. He's actually a good player and he can sing his butt off. I know i saw him do Rock N Roll band by Boston once. That combo does sound pretty good though.

Nice amps for sure. Does anyone know how much the Ace 1X12 combo cost new? And also does it weigh a ton? Sorry, I'm not try to high jack the thread, but I'm pretty interested in picking one of these up.

I have an ACE head in my home for about a week now. I've been really impressed with it as well. Only thing lacking for me is the "Marshally" upper mids aren't there. It seems more voiced toward 'lower mids' and it has that Soldano-type 'cascading gain' gain stages in the preamp so it's always very tight. I'd like a bit of that 'overdriven sag' feel from my 'Marshally' amp.

My Avenger is too close in the gain/overdrive channel department. (better IMHO) I'm taking it back because of that, but otherwise it really is a solid amp.

Just picked up an Ace combo. I want to swap in a Mesa C90(V30) before I make up my mind. With the spongy setting and tube rectifier you get that sag feeling. Amp was very bright sounding until I changed out all the Mesa tubes. Tones control work extremely well shaping the sound. Treble & Presence are kept way down though. More than enough gain and master volume works great. You can shred at a whisper levels with ease. So far so good but you know how these things go.............

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":8305a said:
Says the vid has been removed due to copyright stuff :x

Don't you have a Tophat?

I have a TopHat Emplexador -- great amp. The Emplexador is squarely in the vintage Marshall camp,..sounds very authentic and and get as heavy as a pushed/modded JCM 800. The Ace is capable of sounding more "modern" for lack of a better way to describe it. It has a Marshall flavor but doesn't sound exactly like one by any means.

>|<>QBB<
loudgtr":eb181 said:
I have an ACE head in my home for about a week now. I've been really impressed with it as well. Only thing lacking for me is the "Marshally" upper mids aren't there. It seems more voiced toward 'lower mids' and it has that Soldano-type 'cascading gain' gain stages in the preamp so it's always very tight. I'd like a bit of that 'overdriven sag' feel from my 'Marshally' amp.

My Avenger is too close in the gain/overdrive channel department. (better IMHO) I'm taking it back because of that, but otherwise it really is a solid amp.

I owned an Avenger,...very cool and great sounding amp. I prefer the Ace -- more versatile and just as big sounding (even for 50watts) and a bit less compressed.

>|<>QBB<
zewango":123f5 said:
Just picked up an Ace combo. I want to swap in a Mesa C90(V30) before I make up my mind. With the spongy setting and tube rectifier you get that sag feeling. Amp was very bright sounding until I changed out all the Mesa tubes. Tones control work extremely well shaping the sound. Treble & Presence are kept way down though. More than enough gain and master volume works great. You can shred at a whisper levels with ease. So far so good but you know how these things go.............

This is the only ding against the Ace for me,...the brightness. Even though I love the amp I don't understand why Boogie (especially the crunch modes) voiced it so that the Treble and Presence controls add so much topend so soon in their rotation. I can dial in more Treble and Presence using Tite Gain and/or Fluid Drive, but I never go above 10:00-11:00 on either. Using the crunch modes I pretty much run the Treble at zero and use the Presence if I need more topend,..around 10:00 at the most. It's my thinking that all amps shouldn't start adding topend until your reach about 11:00-12:00 on the dial -- below that it's taking it away. The amp would be almost perfect if Boogie would have gotten that right. I wonder if there's a way to have the amp modded to provide better sweep on the Treble and Presence controls?

>|<>QBB<
cibyl":a0433 said:
>|<>QBB<

This is the only ding against the Ace for me,...the brightness. Even though I love the amp I don't understand why Boogie (especially the crunch modes) voiced it so that the Treble and Presence controls add so much topend so soon in their rotation. I can dial in more Treble and Presence using Tite Gain and/or Fluid Drive, but I never go above 10:00-11:00 on either. Using the crunch modes I pretty much run the Treble at zero and use the Presence if I need more topend,..around 10:00 at the most. It's my thinking that all amps shouldn't start adding topend until your reach about 11:00-12:00 on the dial -- below that it's taking it away. The amp would be almost perfect if Boogie would have gotten that right. I wonder if there's a way to have the amp modded to provide better sweep on the Treble and Presence controls?

That sounds similiar to just about any Engl with the way the pesence controls work on them, anything over 10:00 and they turn into a huge pile of fizz.

>|<>QBB<
cibyl":ba7df said:
>|<>QBB<

Thats why I hope a speaker swap helps out. I keep the treble and presence no higher than 9/10 also on channel 2.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":76f4a said:
>|<>QBB<

That sounds similiar to just about any Engl with the way the pesence controls work on them, anything over 10:00 and they turn into a huge pile of fizz.

With the Ace it's not really "fizz", it's just becomes too bright and the tone loses body a punch. Being able to dial in addtional topend later in the rotation on the knobs would make the amp far better for tone shaping and adjustments to different guitars, speakers, pups, etc.

>|<>QBB<
cibyl":a1b2a said:
>|<>QBB<

I owned an Avenger,...very cool and great sounding amp. I prefer the Ace -- more versatile and just as big sounding (even for 50watts) and a bit less compressed.

I'm beginning to think the same way. :?

Very close to the Avenger with a sweet clean channel. I was surprised how well it took some pedals infront yesterday.

>|<>QBB<
loudgtr":bf4fb said:
>|<>QBB<

I'm beginning to think the same way. :?

Very close to the Avenger with a sweet clean channel. I was surprised how well it took some pedals infront yesterday.

I threw a Crunch Box on the clean damm that sounded cool. Didnt really work well on the gain channel though, TS9 was OK with it. What pedals did you try out.
I had an Avenger 2 amps back and they are quite similar. The ACE isnt as big without the Depth Knob. The 2 channels makes up for it big time.

Well <gulp> it was just a Boss CH-1 Super Chorus and a DD3, infornt they sounded good. Rolled down the volume on my guitar in 'tithe mode' or OD 2 and the Chorus sounded quite nice.

>|<>QBB<
zewango":f6711 said:
>|<>QBB<

I threw a Crunch Box on the clean damm that sounded cool. Didnt really work well on the gain channel though, TS9 was OK with it. What pedals did you try out.
I had an Avenger 2 amps back and they are quite similar. The ACE isnt as big without the Depth Knob. The 2 channels makes up for it big time.

The Depth knob on the Avenger (IMO) had a tendency to take away from it's ability to cut through,...too much of it muffled things up. It seemed to work better with the amp at lower volume levels, but I kept it very low when using it with the band.

Back