Still enjoying the Atomica!!!!

Heritage Softail":2cp1w6no said:
Just a question, really not trying to stir the pot in a bad way..

I have been a Mesa guy. Have a MKIIC with GEQ, simulclass running EL34 and 6L6. But recently got a DSL100. Looking at an Atomica, CCV, Friedman hot rod Marshall amp. Like the Marshall tone in the DSL, got it much better with all new glass.

It seems like a lot of times, that smokin crunch riff and searing gain lead in the modded Marshall shares a lot of ground with the MKIIC family.

You guys have these amps and more experience. Do both roads meet at the top? All 80's and 90's metal has a good helping of that pissed off grind. Wether it's old man Mick on Wild Side, to thrash, or AIC, a mix of Marshall and Mesa seems there.

So what's the deal....? Are the modded Marshalls getting closer to a MKIIC? Or are they a totally different beast?

The MKIIC is not even close in tone to any modded Marshall like the Atomica, CCV, or the Friedman stuff!!! Totally a different animal in tone. I have not played through a MKIIC or MKIIC+ in quite a long time though and kick myself in the ass for not buying a MKIIC+ combo from a guy I knew back in 1999.

The older Mesas are a bit more compressed than the modded marshall camp, imo.
The trait some people look for that i find evident in amps like the BE-100' atomica and CCV is their high gain without being really compressed. The CCV is the modded Marshall with a dose of the Mesa low end that reular Marshall variants do not have much of. I have owned the Marsha, CCV, now the Atomica, Cameron Jose, Landry, and a feW others...what sets hem apart is maintqining that Marshall bite without compressing too much undervery high gain.

rokker":2xyd0q89 said:
The older Mesas are a bit more compressed than the modded marshall camp, imo.
The trait some people look for that i find evident in amps like the BE-100' atomica and CCV is their high gain without being really compressed. The CCV is the modded Marshall with a dose of the Mesa low end that reular Marshall variants do not have much of. I have owned the Marsha, CCV, now the Atomica, Cameron Jose, Landry, and a feW others...what sets hem apart is maintqining that Marshall bite without compressing too much undervery high gain.

Ok, I can understand that. I like a bit of thickness. That is probably why the CCV sound is the one I gravitate to.

Thx

I think of you like mesa type tones the ccv is the modded marshall for you...way more deep bottom end than the other modded marshalls out there that i have an across.

metalmaniac93":mu5s8xho said:
I just have to say that I am still enjoying the Cameron Atomica!!! This is one bad ass amp for sure!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: I can get many different tones out of this amp. Of course I rarely use the LG channel, but the HG stuff destroys especially on the mid-level clipping, which is where I spend most of my time. Cannot wait for the CCV!!!

Damn....I knew I should have kept that amp!!! :doh:

The CCV is a tight amp. If you are looking for the looseness of a Mesa in a Cameron CCV.....keep on looking.

SLOgriff":16e24cyj said:
metalmaniac93":16e24cyj said:
I just have to say that I am still enjoying the Cameron Atomica!!! This is one bad ass amp for sure!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: I can get many different tones out of this amp. Of course I rarely use the LG channel, but the HG stuff destroys especially on the mid-level clipping, which is where I spend most of my time. Cannot wait for the CCV!!!

Damn....I knew I should have kept that amp!!! :doh:

Bryan,

It is in good hands!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

rokker":2o83fnyd said:
Hey metalmaniac...i wouldn't think it was a bad thing that the atomica does not have MM iron...the experts over on the metromforum use many different transformers. Some even say Mercury has a harder sound, which i think is evidnt in the CCV...it seems to be stiffer than the atomica to me...sure others may see it differently. Guess my point is that mercury iron does not mean better tone in all cases.

Thanks!!! It sounds great the way it is!!

steve_k":1vbbipte said:
The CCV is a tight amp. If you are looking for the looseness of a Mesa in a Cameron CCV.....keep on looking.
The CCV is tight but you can get a little of that looseness feel by changing how you hold your right hand on the guitar. When I play rhythm I tend to palm mute the strings just enough to get that tight chunk that can drown out a bass player :D

The music director at church asked if I could try to not sound like Metallica on every worship song (I really don't know why :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ) so I lightened way up on the palm muting and I started to get that Marshally loose bottom end, to a point :yes: I was playing on channel 1.

guitarmike":5hhcokx4 said:
steve_k":5hhcokx4 said:
The CCV is tight but you can get a little of that looseness feel by changing how you hold your right hand on the guitar. When I play rhythm I tend to palm mute the strings just enough to get that tight chunk that can drown out a bass player :D

The music director at church asked if I could try to not sound like Metallica on every worship song (I really don't know why :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ) so I lightened way up on the palm muting and I started to get that Marshally loose bottom end, to a point :yes: I was playing on channel 1.

I know. I've had 5 of them. The originals are all a little different and they are a bit different than the production models. I find them mostly a little dark and tight for my needs. Big bottom and chunky though. If the Old Bitch is anything like Mark's original Aldrich mods, it will be a nice amp with a good feel a looser than the Atomica or CCV.

Steve

Back