Talkin' Blues, Rhythm and Blues, and Blues-Rock

Jeff had incredible feel.
lesson go to 4:08 if you want to see someone make a guitar scream

Yeah he did. And the solo at around two minutes is also a great solo. He does some really slick octave work or something like that in there. Moves I haven't heard before from other players. i definitely need to take a couple listens.

@JohnnyGtar I haven't heard the Hustle is on in a long time, thanks for posting. Can't overstate how big T-Bone is to all guitarists. I might have to grab that song for myself one of these days. Hope you are feeling okay today brother!

And the Zep studio clip....is there a drummer who has more of a signature sound to his drums than Bonham? I seriously doubt it. I could've identified that if there were no other instruments on the recording and I am not a rock or big Led Zep guy either.

I'm gonna derail the thread for a sec.

It's so easy to identify Bonham when you hear him. The way he played and the tuning of his drums... no one has ever bested him in style and drum sounds. Plant called Bonzo's playing "The Sex Groove" and he hit the nail on the head!

Ever heard the Paul McCartney and Wings track with Bonham on drums? Paul and Bonzo were very close friends.

Here's the song that I think shows the essence of Bonzo's playing:

OK, back to da blooze!

Yeah he did. And the solo at around two minutes is also a great solo. He does some really slick octave work or something like that in there. Moves I haven't heard before from other players. i definitely need to take a couple listens.

@JohnnyGtar I haven't heard the Hustle is on in a long time, thanks for posting. Can't overstate how big T-Bone is to all guitarists. I might have to grab that song for myself one of these days. Hope you are feeling okay today brother!

@VonBonfire, I knew of T-Bone but hadn't heard him til I started looking for artists because you posted this thread.
When I heard him, I was like "What the hell? Chuck Berry got some of his licks from this guy!" I thought Chuck came up with that stuff on his own. Wow. That guy had it all goin' on: taste, tone, chops, performance, stage presence.

I'll be listening to more T-Bone for sure thanks to you, bro!

I'm feeling better, thanks man. Not fully up to snuff but I'm gettin' there. :)

Last edited:
another great from , this time from Trower, the real greats have "feel" that a lot of the shredders today seem to lack
When you can play slow like this and still sound like you're wailing? ..... that's a skill

@VonBonfire, I knew of T-Bone but had heard him til I started looking for artists because you posted this thread.
When I heard him, I was like "What the hell? Chuck Berry got some of his licks from this guy!" I thought Chuck came up with that stuff on his own. Wow. That guy had it all goin' on: taste, tone, chops, performance, stage presence.

I'll be listening to more T-Bone for sure thanks to you, bro!

I'm feeling better, thanks man. Not fully up to snuff but I'm gettin' there. :)

T-Bone is core listening! Chuck pretty much ripped off a good share of his lead lines from T-Bone. Him and everyone else too! I sometimes joke that "T-Bone stole all Chuck's licks!" haha. BB King wanted to be T-Bone and now a whole slew of newer west coast and Tx blues guys want to be T-Bone. I've heard it said that T Bone and Charlie Christian had the same guitar instructor but I don't know if there is any truth to that. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

How about a living NYC guy? This guy is one of the best nationally that I've seen. Just my opinion, Some pretty solid players around him as well.

And his occasional partner in crime

I found this guy, Justin Johnson, about a month ago and it’s some cool stuff. He’s got 1.6 million subscribers so I think I’m not discovering anything new, but new to me. I love to put one of his 45 minute blues videos on while I’m working on a guitar or something in the studio and sip a bourbon.

Hey there! Just saw this thread so, wanted to apologize for being late to the party.

I'm not much of a Blues player but I have a video that Seymour Duncan pickups company re-posted, it's basically just me playing to a backing track in efforts to showcase their Green Magic Pickups which is, of course, based off of Peter Greene's Les Paul pickups.

@stratjacket Justin Johnson is a great slide player, no doubt about it. He sure has a heckuva channel going on for himself.

@SteveGlitch that's a dang beautiful ESP! Tell me more brother! I dig the pickups, would def like to give those a try sometime. Samantha Fish is a solid player, there is no denying she is capable with a guitar. People Get Ready used to be a standard a lot of blues bands would use to break up a blues focused set list. A great tune. And Jeff and Joss are great but I generally default to the guy that wrote it. This whole album is something I highly recommend. That band tho:

How about some piano? How about the man, Memphis Slim?!?!

You know dude was pretty much tops. Played with all the greats, even owned a blues club in Tel Aviv. I mean, who owns a blues joint in Tel Aviv? Memphis Slim, that's who!

"Ain't never loved, but three women in my life.....my mother and my sister, and the gal who wrecked my life!"

Before I bought his signature telecaster, I had never heard of Jason Isbell but it's truly one of my favorite teles that I've ever played. He's not a Blues player per se but he can pretty much play anything, here he's playing blues:

Back