Talkin' Blues, Rhythm and Blues, and Blues-Rock

@SteveGlitch both of those videos have some outstanding blues playing in them. I've caught portions of the Johnny Winter before but the ending of that is killer. The Moore video he really shows a lot of restraint and does it really nicely. I'll have to catch up on that one all the way one of these days but I did watch a few cuts from both vids.

Here's Johnny on a live album wiith Muddy Waters and Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin if I'm not mistaken, who is a top blues guitar in his own right.

1000001784.gif

I prefer clean and light overdrive over hard-clip overdrive and some good distortion personally :p
I swapped that dumb Seth out the neck for a '57 and was getting some nice smooth highs last night on the first gig with it modded even after the sound man soul sucked me on the volume levels. The band shell made up for it though and the amp was singing even turned down so it was a decent show. I like a smooth top end and good bouncy lows from an ES into a mostly clean amp, when possible, that's the blues tone IMO.

remember when you posted this? so badass....

Yeah that one is legend. That breakdown tone at :08 is one of the most badass tones ever. Earl Hooker's Univox LP through a Twin I think, played by Magic Sam cause his guitar was lost on a flight or something. It was then I realized I didn't give a shit if I played an LP copy or the real deal. Chops is chops. That exact guitar was on reverb not that many years ago for about 4k. Piece of blues history....

Yeah that one is legend. That breakdown tone at :08 is one of the most badass tones ever. Earl Hooker's Univox LP through a Twin I think, played by Magic Sam cause his guitar was lost on a flight or something. It was then I realized I didn't give a shit if I played an LP copy or the real deal. Chops is chops. That exact guitar was on reverb not that many years ago for about 4k. Piece of blues history....
I would buy that before getting some generic r9...

Just pre-ordered:

You are such a pickup nut Stevie! I bet they sound good!

Years ago I bought this record having only heard of Eric Gales as a young talent but never having HEARD him. I listened to it once and put it away not thinking about it all that much. This was pre-internet for me and I ran out of music to listen to so being real bored one night I threw it in the tape deck and was completely blown away. I think they were using strats and mesa boogies per the album liner notes. Eric rips the guitar, Eugene knows how to write a blues song, and Manuel aka Little Jimmy King has THE voice. All left handed, all playing upside down without changing the strings. Talk is Cheap, Worried Man, Hand Me Down....some highlights but pretty much the whole album is rocking blues. Enough talk:

Since the thread also includes Rhythm and Blues I'm gonna throw this jam from probably my all time favorite RnB artist out there. Bobby was a masterful rhythm guitarist. check out that Zemaitis. Pretty sure he played Eric Gales/Albert King style, left handed, upside down, and backwards. Def gives a player a unique sound that is hard to copy.

Back