What Amps do you Regret Selling?

My Mark IV head and a Legacy head.

The Legacy I miss the most just because it was fairly unique, especially at the time. Saw one at a GC recently for $700, which is more than fair being that that’s what I bought one new for in the late 90’s. The old Greenback 4x12’s they used to pair with them were fucking killer, too. There’s probably a bunch of those out there that people think are V30 cabs because they only did the GB’s for a couple years.

Reactions: DTP
My first Peters Gryphon two channel. That amp had a mid roar like no other. Miss that amp.

Mids have a bark that dominated the mix perfectly. Could hear all the guitar and was mixed with the bass and drums like a perfectly recorded album.

Should of never let that one go.

Buuuut. I got a triple channel that is almost 99.5% as good. So fuck it.
Oh man. Yeah I'll never sell my Peters Triple. His amps have such a unique mid character/feel

Sold both of my Mesa Mark III Simul-Class Long Chassis heads that got me through my 4-night / week Cover Band years. I labeled them “#1 Son” and “#2 Son” written on the back in sharpie next to where the cord exits the chassis so I could easily tell them apart.

“1 Son” went to a very good friend who has promised ‘right of first refusal’ if he ever decides to sell. “2 Son” was sold in Lawrence, KS in the late 90s to help pay for grad school - no telling where it wound up. I often comb online listings for Mark III heads looking for it with no luck thus far.

So if any forum member runs across a Mesa Mark III head that says “#2 Son” on the back - hit me up! I’d love to bring that one back home!
It's crazy how many of these "regrets" are Marks. Grad school is a good reason though

The first Cam Marshall I had, a modern modded 2203x.

The SRG 2C I had….was incredible as a C, but I had to + it right? Still great as a C+ but as a C was so wide, open and raw sounding..unreal.

A 1969 Superlead with laydown PT, was 999 at a GC back in 2010. But, it kept popping fuses. I didn’t know much about tubes back then, so I just returned it. Could have been just a tube…maybe PT. But for that price, should’ve kept it.

799$ 1982 2204. Another GC find. 2015; was incredible sounding…had a slight gain mod and a tube loop….ugh.

A 1969 Superlead with laydown PT, was 999 at a GC back in 2010. But, it kept popping fuses. I didn’t know much about tubes back then, so I just returned it. Could have been just a tube…maybe PT. But for that price, should’ve kept it.

Holy hell thats a price

I think the one I regret selling the most is the SSv2 and the Bogner 25th EL-34 but honestly, I don't want a 30"+ 55lb head and a reactive load to slug around to gigs these days. Once I got the Mesa Mark VII and Badlander 50 rack mounts, I pretty much forgot about them both. The other one would be the JVM410HJS. Again, a massive head to carry around. Loved it but no thanks.

The only one I regret selling is my dad's 70's Sunn Concert Lead. Not because it was an amazing amp, but because I was a douchy teenager and my dad told me it was mine, so I went out and traded it for a 5150, rather than keeping it as something he used and would cherish later in life.

Other than that, I can't think of any amp I regret selling for any reason other than the insane value of them now, not because they were great amps that I wish I had back 🤷‍♂️

Lots of guitars I wish I never sold, though.

Metaltronix m1000. should have worked with it more
I'll add pres, as they were my amps for a while
ADA MP1
Mesa Quad
Soldano SP-77 usa
Peavey Rockmaster
Perfect Connection gp-1000

The ones I miss the most....

1988 black tolex Marshall 2550
Mark IVB
1966 Bassman 50

Monomyth 1974 super lead and Monomyth Skeleton Key. I also regret selling my KSR Orthos and Ares but I have an Orion on order so I'm not too worried about it.

Only one I have really regretted was my 5150 2x12 combo. Best sounding 5150 variant I have tried and I’ve had and sold (or broke) most of them.

I was in a volume limited situation that was making it hard for me to work on songs or even just play, with a brand new baby etc. I tried to go all digital and sold the amps I had at the time.

When the dude was coming to buy the 5150 I had brought it into the foyer in my house and got it warmed up. Fired it up to make sure everything was cool and with just a couple chords in that space I knew I was making a terrible mistake. :LOL:

When the guy showed up he didn’t even want to play it or make sure it worked and looked at me like I was a weirdo for suggesting it. Just gave me the money and took off.

The majority of what I'd like to have back is because of its current resale value, not the tones. Especially considering what old Marshalls go for now. 💰

I'd like to play the '81 JCM800 50-watt Cameron Aldrich (w/ Bogner Shiva tranny) that I used to own. If there's a one-that-got-away, it's that, but I've owned some nice stuff since then and now I know how to better dial in an amp and use pedals. I don't think that amp in the flesh would live up to the memory.

Recently sold a Splawn QR 50 that was the best Splawn I've owned so far. I probably should've held on to it, but they're still being made, the new owner loves it, and my 20th Anniversary 101A does everything I want out of an amp. Even the Blue channel.

Last edited:
My JCM900 SL-X, my Mesa Stiletto Deuce, my rackmount tube Randall amp...which I've never ever seen another of, my Bedrock 1200 or 1400, I can't remember which, my Budda SD45, my Mesa Studio Pre, both of my Hafler Triple Giants, my VTM120 kinda, my Grainger Regal 35, my modded Trinity Amps 18 watt Marshall clone, and I haven't had time to regret my 1987x yet. I don't regret selling my Peavey Ultra Plus really or either Blue Voodoo I had.

I talked to Dave Friedman on the phone and worked out the details on having him mod my Marshall. I got that amp right when the Marshas were ending and right as the first BE100s were coming out.

Had a LazyJ20 that was cleaned up/modified by Lyle Caldwell. Perfect ~25 watt amp

Otherwise, I've sold maybe a hundred more, most of them amazing amps, and don't regret selling any of them - I think a person should be able to get by with 2-3 amps

My 1976 Orange OR120. It was my first real amp, and I sold it in a bout of unemployment. It was the only Oeange amp I ever loved.

Also the Tremoverb. That was the amp that I plugged into after a trade, and didn't touch a dial. The previous owner had it dialed in perfect and it fucking rocked. I felt like I won that trade, and I forgot what I gave up to get it. Maybe a 5150?

I have another 5150 block letter and I just got a Stiletto, so they don't make the list anymore.

Marshall 50 Watt JMP Combo (non Master) - my first real amp.
Marshall 50 MV Watt JMP MKII Head (w/ 6550's) - my first long time amp, big sounding amp. Only paid $250 bucks for it - true story.
OG 5150 Block - second long time amp.

Of all the amps I've owned from SLO's to Boogie's, to Langners to Bogners, VHT/Fryette, Engls, Splawns etc... to tons of rack pre's to most recently a Mezzabarba Trinity, those three are it.

I'd love to have each one of those back right now.

VHT Deliverance 60

Fender Prosonic

Two of my favorite amps ever and I'm retarded for ever getting rid of them

Back