What impulse responses do you recommend?

There’s a lot of great stuff out there, but for me the only stuff I use:

EAS studios IR’s: they have the clearest low end, and require the least eq by far of any IR’s I’ve used personally. Ed is a great dude as well, and is a wealth of Information. He gets all 4 speakers throughout the entire length of the speaker from dark to bright for every mic. They truly are the best of the best in my opinion.

Titan audio: expensive but worth it. The best Marshall IR’s out there and I trust Zach as much as anyone considering I know who he learned everything from and does a similar method. Huge low end, tight, and clear.

Josh Middletons IR’s: Josh has a great ear, and these are phenomenal. His mixed IR’s are about as ready to go as you can get, and he has a great ear. You’ll be hard pressed to find better and a more tone obsessed guy.

GGD Cali: great IR’s, Nolly has a wonderful ear too and this is the ultimate pack for all flavors of the Mesa recto cab. He picked out 6 fantastic sounding cabs and the variations are perfect for getting different high end and diffrrnt midrange in your guitar tone for your mix.

There’s a lot of good stuff out there, but this is all I really reccomend personally 100 percent.
From EAS which IR pack do you like the most, he has a bunch on his website. So far I like York Audio the best, have you tried any of those?

From EAS which IR pack do you like the most, he has a bunch on his website. So far I like York Audio the best, have you tried any of those?

Go with his 2002 OS recto cab. They are ALL phenomenal period, but @easstudios will probably steer you towards this one too. Bottom left speaker with a 57, in the 34-38 range is one of the best impulses I’ve ever heard.

I like Justin’s stuff, his cab lab recto with fractal that was just released is FANTASTIC. But I still love what I’ve mentioned above more personally.

The only ones I have really gotten good use out of are the York Audio and EAS Studios. I actually don't find GGD or ML Soundlab or even Celestions offerings to sound that natural (although some of the Celestion stuff is ok). They all sound too smooth and already EQ'd and that drives me nuts especially for my use which is with real amps and a reactive load.

York Audio is definitely more focused on the tan pants audience but as someone who does like to pick up a telecaster and play through Fender amps sometimes, they are the only ones I have ever found that do IR's of Fender cabs/combos and stuff like vintage Jensens worth a damn. I am honestly blown away by them and will probably go buy every single thing they have put out. I don't know how well their Mesa and Marshall V30 loaded cabs are for heavier stuff.

The only ones I have really gotten good use out of are the York Audio and EAS Studios. I actually don't find GGD or ML Soundlab or even Celestions offerings to sound that natural (although some of the Celestion stuff is ok). They all sound too smooth and already EQ'd and that drives me nuts especially for my use which is with real amps and a reactive load.
Same.

I think the differences between different vendors producing an IR of the same speaker/mic are found in the mic pre-amp each company used.

Same.

I think the differences between different vendors producing an IR of the same speaker/mic are found in the mic pre-amp each company used.
I think some also have to be tailoring the frequency response because some of these IR's act like a high pass filter is rolling everything off above a certain point. When you have something like a JCM 800 and you can crank the presence knob and it has only a mild effect of the high end of the sound, I don't think any preamp in existence does that to the signal from an sm57 without additional EQ.

Same.

It’s more so about how aggressively they mic. I think Justin does great stuff, but it’s too soft and tame for me personally. Again, great stuff, but not my style mostly. The mic pre doesn’t make near the difference people think it does, and this is coming from someone who has 2 BAE 1073s at their house. The more aggressive micing aka closer to the cap, is always going to be more my style. That’s how I like my guitar tones and how most of the guys I enjoy mic as well. Right up on the grill, starting at the cap and working your way outward slightly until you get the desired brightness is what works for me, which is why I like EAS alot, because Ed allows me to pick exactly how bright I want it to be and I know about where each mic is generally based by the number of the corresponding IR.

I have been using the Ownhammer Rockbox whatevers….the Creamback 65 is the best one so far. Also the Digitech DF-7 has speaker models that sound great, most don’t know they are there.

May try some of these recommendations.

It’s more so about how aggressively they mic. I think Justin does great stuff, but it’s too soft and tame for me personally. Again, great stuff, but not my style mostly. The mic pre doesn’t make near the difference people think it does, and this is coming from someone who has 2 BAE 1073s at their house. The more aggressive micing aka closer to the cap, is always going to be more my style. That’s how I like my guitar tones and how most of the guys I enjoy mic as well. Right up on the grill, starting at the cap and working your way outward slightly until you get the desired brightness is what works for me, which is why I like EAS alot, because Ed allows me to pick exactly how bright I want it to be and I know about where each mic is generally based by the number of the corresponding IR.
I notice that EAS 2002 OS Recto pack doesn't have a 121. I know the 57/121 is the classic combo. Do you find that to be an issue? I generally always prefer 121 IRs for the bigness.

I keep thinking about grabbing some sort of OS Recto cab IRs. It would be nice to have something that sounds huge, and more 'amp in the room'.

I notice that EAS 2002 OS Recto pack doesn't have a 121. I know the 57/121 is the classic combo. Do you find that to be an issue? I generally always prefer 121 IRs for the bigness.

I keep thinking about grabbing some sort of OS Recto cab IRs. It would be nice to have something that sounds huge, and more 'amp in the room'.

Hey homie! I personally am not bothered by it, as I tend not to really like ribbon mics for high gain guitar tones, that’s just me personally though! Even blended in real low beneath a 57, it’s just never the sound I want for me and what I like. However, I still can’t reccomend that 02 OS pack enough. You could always use a 121 on a recto cab from another pack you prefer and blend it in with EAS’s recto cab too, however.

I went down the rabbit hole with IRs for a Captor X, and 9 times outta 10 I come back to the stock Two Notes Greenback cab.

Back