What inspired you to pick up the guitar???

raz311

I'm sure this thread has been around before, but after reading the thread asking what your first guitar was, it got me thinking.

As a young guy growing up in the late 80's/early 90's, the only music on radio and tv was guitar oriented stuff. Then one day a bunch of mates decided to form a band and needed a second guitarist. The other guitarist showed me a few chords and off we went. After that I was hooked. I was lucky that my parents realised that it wasn't just a fad and that I really enjoyed playing. Fast forward 20 years later, and I still suck :LOL: :LOL: , still spend more time reading guitar forums than playing, but I still love the guitar. I will never be a virtuoso, but who cares? :thumbsup:

I bought Mercyful Fate's album "Melissa" on vinyl. For the following few weeks I bugged the shit out of my parents until they gave in and bought me a cheap Hondo strat and some kind of wedge shaped 1x8 amplifier. Man I made some god awful noises with that thing. Still doing it today..........just with high $$$ gear :LOL: :LOL:

Ace+Frehley+ace+flying+v.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

thumbnail.aspx

Uli-Jon-Roth-201x300.jpg

600full-led-zeppelin.jpg

Eddie+Van+Halen+2.jpg

rush.jpg

suicidal-tendencies.jpg

Steve-Vai.jpg

thumbnail.aspx

slayer_5_1024x768.jpg

Bianca_Beauchamp_110.jpg

Space Ace and Brian May were the first reason I wanted to play guitar.

Then it was because it was the only way to drown out the voices in my head.

Scott

Nirvana's Nevermind record got the gears turning. Then Alice In Chains' Dirt record came out and that was it. I had to learn how to do that.

The seeds would have been planted as a kid using the tennis racket with AC/DC records cranked when the parents went out of the house (the albums were theirs btw).
But the thing that made me actually buy a guitar was rediscovering Surfing with the Alien about 10 years after I first heard it but didn't know "how people can listen to music without words"

Back