Friedman Jake E. Lee Review - Big Hairy Guitars

Krull":2455s13k said:
paulyc":2455s13k said:
paulyc":2455s13k said:
Amp sounds good to me. Has anyone heard Wizard of Ozz’s clips of his “amazing Rectos and Wizards” Sounds worse than shit, so it’s funny to see him making fun of this clip.
Where are YOUR clips Nancy ??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Where’s YOUR clips hot shot? Oh right. None. :LOL: :LOL:
I didn’t name check someone about their clips “sounding worse than shit”. Put up or shut up Nancy.

Make me. :LOL: :LOL:
A trollin' he will go... :no:

harddriver":2asyvhoo said:
I think the amps he was using when I seen him were both 50 watters, I could be wrong, maybe that why they kinda gassed out at the volumes Jake plays at on stage, he is a loud player. I think the plexi channel is really good on this amp, and the JCM channel has the right amount of gain, some people like the crunchy not totally gained out modded sound, I like Daves concept here.

The amp sound pretty good here, it's a big box so I wonder if Dave sent him a 100 watter for this leg of the tour.

Very cool , thanks for posting that show

AFAIR they were discussing with Dave in Tone-Talk, that BHG youtube demos of are mixed with reduced treble on the request of Dave, due too many mongols listening on phone and tablet speakers and forming and opinion based on that. Like washing hands in gloves and making comments on the soap.
A lot of people will be disappointed, because nobody uses even a 50w on 10, maybe into a load.

paulyc":3geioj37 said:
Krull":3geioj37 said:
paulyc":3geioj37 said:
Krull":3geioj37 said:
Amp sounds good to me. Has anyone heard Wizard of Ozz’s clips of his “amazing Rectos and Wizards” Sounds worse than shit, so it’s funny to see him making fun of this clip.
Where are YOUR clips Nancy ??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Where’s YOUR clips hot shot? Oh right. None. :LOL: :LOL:
I didn’t name check someone about their clips “sounding worse than shit”. Put up or shut up Nancy.

His butt-kazoo got lost deep in his ass again. Time to have his boyfriend pull it out for him. :LOL: :LOL: :yes: :D

Troll is as troll does.

aftec":2xn990ql said:
AFAIR they were discussing with Dave in Tone-Talk, that BHG youtube demos of are mixed with reduced treble on the request of Dave, due too many mongols listening on phone and tablet speakers and forming and opinion based on that. Like washing hands in gloves and making comments on the soap.
A lot of people will be disappointed, because nobody uses even a 50w on 10, maybe into a load.

Some of us still do... even with 100-150W tube amps thru real live old fashioned 4X12 cabs. #keepinitreal

That clip sounded bad. Listened to it thru Adam AX7 monitors. YMMV.

I saw RDC live and he was using the red amp.He killed it and his tone was nice.
it really reminded me of his badlands tone which was a lot of different gear
the kasha mod, a boosted jcm 800 etc.
Jake was drinking whiskey and smoking cigs like a true "i don't give a fuck" old school rocker.
At the end of the show he fell right into the cabs and i caught him as he bounced off of them just before he almost hit the stage and he kept playing his ass off while i was holding him up.
Quite a night and a strong reminder that the tone is in the man and his hands.

Wizard of Ozz":36y6krl1 said:
Some of us still do... even with 100-150W tube amps thru real live old fashioned 4X12 cabs. #keepinitreal

Do you run them on 10 like Jake on gigs? That's what I was talking about.

I like his vids, and i think the amp sound good.
I don't get why put 2 similar crunch channels in one amp... Was much better to have a big, mellow, very clean sound in the first channel, IMO.
I hate the red/white cosmetic.

Metalhex":3pqolplw said:
It's a shame that Jake is playing basically, dive bar rock band music in the last few years. He is a top teir guitarist, but Red Dragon Cartel fucking sucks

Fixed lol. I love old Jake, but the music he's making these days is beyond forgettable :no:

Amp sounds awesome though!! :rock:

Luca79":14q5cytk said:
I like his vids, and i think the amp sound good.
I don't get why put 2 similar crunch channels in one amp... Was much better to have a big, mellow, very clean sound in the first channel, IMO.
I hate the red/white cosmetic.

Jake always plays/played plexis, superleads or JCM800 amps. He always gets his clean by rolling the volume back and using his single coils. I would imagine he wanted a Plexi channel and JCM800 channel for leads and heavier stuff. I think it's a brilliant concept actually. The best of both worlds plexi tone and JCM800 tone...the basis of rock and roll. The Metroplex is all plexi all the time, albeit and great sounding plexi with all amounts of gain from stock to modded.

Out of the Friedman line the JJ Cantrell amp and this Jake amp would be my choice, although the new BE100 and BE100 deluxe have less compression and seem to have more raw Marshall crunchy clank.

Sounds good to me.... Dave just did an AFD mod on a handwired 2203 I sent him and its very similar, open, doesn't sound "metal" or chung chung at all.... beautiful

Attachments

• RJS 34.jpg
    RJS 34.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 974
Man I thought it sounded pretty good myself. I'm just not sure if it's a far stretch from the BE50/100/Smallbox to be honest.

I liked it too. Put me in the camp of preferring vintage style high gain It had the raw top end I find lacking in other Friedman’s I’ve tried. Before this a DS was my best liked Friedman but still thought it lacked that certain, unbridled kerang. The Jake is priced in a zone that puts it way out of reach for me (even used will be). Strangely enough though, I’ve never cared for Jake’s tone. I really like what he plays on Ultimate Sin and the compositions and cool guitar ideas carry the day there and always found his Badlands tone had a congested quality to it for that classic plexi tone.
The red and white doesn’t set me on fire either. You just can’t go wrong with the traditional Marshall gold faceplate with any colored head box.

psychodave":39vxkxmx said:
ejecta":39vxkxmx said:
Fiesta Red":39vxkxmx said:
If that guy had his nose any farther up Dave Friedman's ass he could kiss his pancreas.

Yeah like this place doesn’t have its fair share of brand fanboi’s. :LOL: :LOL:

You're right. I F'ing love Marshall amps and Charvel guitars.

Me too. My comment was about the guy talking with Dave.

I like the way the amp sounds.

Devin":xyu0cjeg said:
Metalhex":xyu0cjeg said:
It's a shame that Jake is playing basically, dive bar rock band music in the last few years. He is a top teir guitarist, but Red Dragon Cartel fucking sucks

Fixed lol. I love old Jake, but the music he's making these days is beyond forgettable :no:

Amp sounds awesome though!! :rock:

Agreed, to everything. He's still a killer player, but I find the music a little boring. But it's just taste. He probably likes it.

Mr. Willy":2y312pue said:
I think that guy on Big Hairy Guitars is using IRs in his demo. I’m fairly certain he’s not using a real cab.

I almost never use IR's. VERY VERY VERY rarely. It's almost always a Bogner 4x12 with a v30 Sm57, Royer 121.

More recently, it's been a v30 with SM57, and a Greenback with SM57.

I just got a killer Marshall cab that I like better than the Bogner cab, so that will be v30 with SM57, and a Greenback with SM57.

Back