Friedman Jake E. Lee Review - Big Hairy Guitars

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr. Willy
  • Start date Start date
audiomichael":3ln4ssqz said:
Mr. Willy":3ln4ssqz said:
I think that guy on Big Hairy Guitars is using IRs in his demo. I’m fairly certain he’s not using a real cab.

I almost never use IR's. VERY VERY VERY rarely. It's almost always a Bogner 4x12 with a v30 Sm57, Royer 121.

More recently, it's been a v30 with SM57, and a Greenback with SM57.

I just got a killer Marshall cab that I like better than the Bogner cab, so that will be v30 with SM57, and a Greenback with SM57.

Michael's reviews are great :rock: especially loved the SLO preamp. Killer!! I wasn't sure about the IRs either but now that I know its miced cabs even better....

aftec":1q388mvq said:
AFAIR they were discussing with Dave in Tone-Talk, that BHG youtube demos of are mixed with reduced treble on the request of Dave, due too many mongols listening on phone and tablet speakers and forming and opinion based on that. Like washing hands in gloves and making comments on the soap.
A lot of people will be disappointed, because nobody uses even a 50w on 10, maybe into a load.

You really can't win. Everyone wants to hear a raw guitar sound, no processing, but no one actually likes a raw guitar sound. EVERY guitar sound on every good sounding record is affected in the recording or mix. If you talk to famous mixers from 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. there's always something going on. :rock:

You know what REALLY sounds great, is a distant mic, away from the cab in the room, then pounded with a heavy multi band EQ and compression that rolls off highs and lows and optimizes the sound into the pleasing vocal range. Those iPhone recordings are the fakeboobs of guitar mic'ing! :lol: :LOL: I'm not hating on that. :thumbsup:

This is the first time I've added significant reverb to the sound. That changes the perception of brightness and presence for sure. Thankfully there are EQ knobs on the amp, so if someone wants to turn it into a slicing razorblade attack of bee's, that option is in there.

The master volume is really really terrific on this. Low volumes sound great. The Ch1 Plexi does come alive on loud loud setting, but I like hitting it with a pedal just the same. It get's me into a very similar territory. When I'm at home, I can't turn my 20w MiniDS past 1.5, so... loud is loud.

Wizard of Ozz":1q388mvq said:
Fiesta Red":1q388mvq said:
P.S.
This reviewer guy’s weird facial ticks and gestures while playing always reminds me of:

100%!!!

I can't wait to tell this to my therapist.
:lol: :LOL: :cry: :lol: :LOL: :cry: :lol: :LOL:

Attachments

• Big Hairy Guitars CAT for FCPX.jpg
    Big Hairy Guitars CAT for FCPX.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 650
audiomichael":2snceq6p said:
Fiesta Red":2snceq6p said:
If that guy had his nose any farther up Dave Friedman's ass he could kiss his pancreas.

I'm SO close. It's within reach, but I JUST CAN'T REACH IT!!! :cry:

:hys:

Enjoy your reviews man, keep it up!

audiomichael":3ocivhh4 said:
aftec":3ocivhh4 said:
AFAIR they were discussing with Dave in Tone-Talk, that BHG youtube demos of are mixed with reduced treble on the request of Dave, due too many mongols listening on phone and tablet speakers and forming and opinion based on that. Like washing hands in gloves and making comments on the soap.
A lot of people will be disappointed, because nobody uses even a 50w on 10, maybe into a load.

You really can't win. Everyone wants to hear a raw guitar sound, no processing, but no one actually likes a raw guitar sound. EVERY guitar sound on every good sounding record is affected in the recording or mix. If you talk to famous mixers from 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. there's always something going on. :rock:

You know what REALLY sounds great, is a distant mic, away from the cab in the room, then pounded with a heavy multi band EQ and compression that rolls off highs and lows and optimizes the sound into the pleasing vocal range. Those iPhone recordings are the fakeboobs of guitar mic'ing! :lol: :LOL: I'm not hating on that. :thumbsup:

This is the first time I've added significant reverb to the sound. That changes the perception of brightness and presence for sure. Thankfully there are EQ knobs on the amp, so if someone wants to turn it into a slicing razorblade attack of bee's, that option is in there.

The master volume is really really terrific on this. Low volumes sound great. The Ch1 Plexi does come alive on loud loud setting, but I like hitting it with a pedal just the same. It get's me into a very similar territory. When I'm at home, I can't turn my 20w MiniDS past 1.5, so... loud is loud.

Wizard of Ozz":3ocivhh4 said:
Fiesta Red":3ocivhh4 said:
P.S.
This reviewer guy’s weird facial ticks and gestures while playing always reminds me of:

100%!!!

I can't wait to tell this to my therapist.
:lol: :LOL: :cry: :lol: :LOL: :cry: :lol: :LOL:

ROTFLMAO!!! Love the avatar. Perfect. :lol: :LOL: :thumbsup:

audiomichael":2w9daqvu said:
Fiesta Red":2w9daqvu said:
If that guy had his nose any farther up Dave Friedman's ass he could kiss his pancreas.

:lol: :LOL: Keep trying Michael and stay golden pony boi.

I feel like Mike is allowed to be enthusiastic about amps that cost as much as a decent used car.

I'm sure it sounds great in person, as based on the videos it has a nice "ugly" tone that other Friedman products I've used haven't quite been able to get.

And I would say that he isn't just this way with Friedman stuff. He is pretty upbeat in all the videos, which is a big part of why I'm a subscriber.

Vintage-rock goodness IMHO.

Plenty of graininess and rough-edged personality there I reckon.

audiomichael":3tmtn010 said:
Fiesta Red":3tmtn010 said:

I just want to say that I for one LOVE your vids; Your tones always sound great to me.
I love that you often demo rare and/or overlooked gear.

Speaking of; after damn near 20 years of looking for one I just came across and pulled the trigger on a Starfield VPA1 tube preamp. Honestly never thought I'd ever find one for sale, let alone one that's in near-mint condition. :inlove:

Unfortunately it's coming all the way from Germany so it'll probably be a while before i get my mitts on it :aww:

I wanted the Jake E. Lee Charvel, until they decided give it a 21 fret neck. Bastards! :gethim:

Back