Luxxtone vs chubtone

Just based on common specs and looks, I would order a Chubtone. In fact the only reason I haven’t to this point is because I keep getting interrupted by other things popping up that I feel like I should buy.

My next guitar will be a Luxxtone. Sorry, but I'd never own something with "CHUBTONE" on the headstock.

Ha nice! Shadow Hills are so awesome for recording amps and it seems like not enough people know this.
Yeah no idea why they don't seem to get talked about. I just know about them because they stood out to me in this mic pre shootout vid I saw, so I bought one after. I don't actually generally like that much the API it's supposedly based on

I have an oil finish “natural” guitar. I think it’s great. Why the hate?
I have a bunch of keeper guitars with oil finish too. They're keepers because they have other unique qualities I like about them from their wood choices, but I've always found all the oil finish guitars I've had (and tried) to sound dry, lacking in harmonics and the notes don't connect as well when playing melodies or leads. A lot of guys don't care much about finish, but to me it makes a big difference in sound. I find it also even more apparent the sound character of the various finishes when I play the guitars unplugged

The good nitro guitars I find generally just sound more juicy and alive, more fun to play as a result and the Marchione's IME with shellac finish and very thin nitro on top have consistently been (of all 7 I've tried) the most wet and harmonically rich guitars I've tried even over my '57 LP Jr that I thought would be impossible to top for those qualities. I still overall like the Jr just as much though in its own way

Last edited:
I'll give you that. Maybe the name isn't that cool. Is Luxxtone a super cool brand name? Suhr? Schecter? Koch? Larry? Friedman? G&L? Sweetwater? I mean it's not like this is an industry filled with super cool, catchy names. I get it. Some of them are last names, but it's not like they are all great sounding last names like Van Halen or Dokken or whatever.

It's just a guitar and Matt and I do Chubtone for fun. Play one or don't. Buy one or don't.
Fwiw I actually do think Sweetwater is a really good sounding name. Most of the others I'm indifferent about. Mesa/Boogie, Diezel, Train Wreck and Dumble are also imo awesome names

Just buy fixed bridge guitars. Problem solved 😂
As a former gig player, I have to have great tuning stability. Over the years, I've had some pretty spendy hardtails and every damn one had tuning issues. No thanks.

Far easier to use a Floyded guitar. Problem solved. You may lose a little 'thickness' of tone but my current stable of SS guitars, sound just as fat as any HT guitar I've owned. Plus, a Floyd will brighten up the tone some as well, if that's something that's important.

I would tune right before the 1st set, and not again until the next night pre sets.
No worries.

Never played a Chubby but have played many Luxxtone and they’re amazing. Not sure you could go wrong either way.

I’d expect the Luxxtone would retain a higher resale value, if that matters at all.

I have owned both and still have 5 Luxxtones and one on the way. They are more my thing and I love the relic guitar deal etc. I spec them the exact way I want (I am pretty good at it now). They do vintage-ish stuff very well too (strats and Teles). They are about 30% more in terms of cost. I have dealt with both builders and they are both responsive and super cool I will say I think Luxx does better relicing work and maybe Chubtone is not into that as much. Its ok - this is not a contest. Chubtone is a better value as their pricing is lower. You get a great guitar from either one. Lead times are similar. I would not hesitate to buy either one and you cannot go wrong. Both are great guys and companies.

At least the name Luxxtone implies "luxury tone".
Honestly, it reminds me of a the vacuum cleaner brand Electrolux. Fantastic guitars but every time I see it, that's what pops into my head.

I guarantee this much, it wouldn't stop me from owning one. I don't give two shits about how cool a product is based on it's name, I mean it's either quality or it's not. I remember years ago (80's) playing ESP's before they exploded, other players would go wtf is an ESP. Now look.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Geo
Honestly, it reminds me of a the vacuum cleaner brand Electrolux. Fantastic guitars but every time I see it, that's what pops into my head. I guarantee this much, it wouldn't stop me from owning one.
How did it do with the ol' oatmeal test?

You are an old bastard if you get the reference.

As a former gig player, I have to have great tuning stability. Over the years, I've had some pretty spendy hardtails and every damn one had tuning issues. No thanks.

Far easier to use a Floyded guitar. Problem solved. You may lose a little 'thickness' of tone but my current stable of SS guitars, sound just as fat as any HT guitar I've owned. Plus, a Floyd will brighten up the tone some as well, if that's something that's important.

I would tune right before the 1st set, and not again until the next night pre sets.
No worries.

Don’t locking tuners fix that? You can also have a locking nut with fixed bridge and you’re golden.

What hardtails did you have btw? Curious.

Don’t locking tuners fix that? You can also have a locking nut with fixed bridge and you’re golden.

What hardtails did you have btw? Curious.
I don't know if they do; I've never felt the need to try and swap out tuners since my Floyds worked great. The HT guitars are various Explorers, LPs, Destroyers etc etc...I usually used them for drop tuned stuff. Funny thing though, one of the cheapest HT was a Washburn X series (made in Korea I think) with the Buzz Feiten tuning system...that one actually stayed in tune very well. It was a 300$ guitar lol. I still have that guitar somewhere here.

I don't know if they do; I've never felt the need to try and swap out tuners since my Floyds worked great. The HT guitars are various Explorers, LPs, Destroyers etc etc...I usually used them for drop tuned stuff. Funny thing though, one of the cheapest HT was a Washburn X series (made in Korea I think) with the Buzz Feiten tuning system...that one actually stayed in tune very well. It was a 300$ guitar lol. I still have that guitar somewhere here.
Looks like locking tuners and a proper bone/graphtech nut (no pun intended) could make you happy with hardtails.

Wish you could try my guitars and give your thoughts on stability.

Looks like locking tuners and a proper bone/graphtech nut (no pun intended) could make you happy with hardtails.

Wish you could try my guitars and give your thoughts on stability.
Agreed. All the guitars I had with those features didn't have tuning issues and for me at least the better tone (with all other specs being roughly equal) vs Floyd or Kahler style bridges is worthwhile

Agreed. All the guitars I had with those features didn't have tuning issues and for me at least the better tone (with all other specs being roughly equal) vs Floyd or Kahler style bridges is worthwhile
Here's the deal though...and, no offense to the home player. But, it's a far different thing to play a 4 hr night, with humidity and/or hot/cold temp/sweat affecting your guitar; vs a home player that doesn't play for 4 hrs with 3 15 min breaks, with no humidity/sweat dripping/people bumping in to your guitar lol. It's just very different. So, for my needs a Floyd is a must have. Or, for my 'former' needs since I'm not playing out anymore lol.
I remember back in 2011, July 4th weekend street dance in Cornell Wi. Air temp was 99F, and humidity was 98%. Talk about a sticky neck lol.
But, my guitars all stayed in tune.

Back