Luxxtone vs chubtone

• Thread starter Thread starter Exo-metal
  • Start date Start date
I have an oil finish “natural” guitar. I think it’s great. Why the hate?

I have two Chubtones, they are both fantastic. I'll just say this much, I think your options are "more" unlimited with Chubtone. Other than their 3 neck styles, if you can come up with an idea they can do it. I know in checking with some other builders I couldn't do some things that I wanted as the general body and routes were what they were. Example, I wanted a strat with a pickguard but the input jack on the side...that wasn't an issue with Chubtone. I've played Xotic, Luxx, Suhr...all fantastic as well but the Chubs are at the least just as good, in some cases better. I freaking love this one. This and my Tremonti are the only two guitars I've played for months now.

View attachment 314121
that is just perfection.

The Luxxtones I have played have been fantastic. If there wasn't a Chubtone, I would probably be playing Luxxtones.

If anyone knew who did our fretwork they would probably be stunned. We can't say though to protect their day job. Let's just say no one would be disappointed in whose hands were on their guitar before they received it.

Regarding the name... to be honest, I was surprised when I read on a different forum that someone thought our name was juvenile. Sometimes a word is intended to mean exactly what the word has meant for 100's of years and not what it has changed into more recently. That people would think the name referred to a dick and not to a guitar with a fat or thick sound blew me away. Chub + Tone = fat or thick tone. Duh.

In an industry where people don't hesitate to buy "Pink Tacos" or "Hairy Brown Eyes", names with intentional funny/dirty connotations, and in a life where my sense of humor is still stuck in junior high like the rest of us, and with all the funny, creative names for referring to a dick, Chub has got to be one of the stupidest, least creative, least funny dick names. So we used it to refer to what it has always referred to and figured everyone would take it the way we intended.

Attachments

• 636.jpg
    636.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 18
That aside the name isn't that cool imo. The guitars deserve a better name since the quality and exceptional craftsmanship is there to support what is an obvious loyal following.

Luxxtones are killer; I've never heard/read a bad thing about them. But they will be twice the price of the Chub.
So the question really should be; Luxxtone vs 2 Chubtones.

I’m in my ‘off again’ phase with Floyds right now but I’m sure I’ll be in the ‘on again’ phase soon enough and these are pretty much the only two on my radar.

That aside the name isn't that cool imo.

I'll give you that. Maybe the name isn't that cool. Is Luxxtone a super cool brand name? Suhr? Schecter? Koch? Larry? Friedman? G&L? Sweetwater? I mean it's not like this is an industry filled with super cool, catchy names. I get it. Some of them are last names, but it's not like they are all great sounding last names like Van Halen or Dokken or whatever.

It's just a guitar and Matt and I do Chubtone for fun. Play one or don't. Buy one or don't.

So the question really should be; Luxxtone vs 2 Chubtones.

I’m in my ‘off again’ phase with Floyds right now but I’m sure I’ll be in the ‘on again’ phase soon enough and these are pretty much the only two on my radar.

Nah, Luxxtones aren't double the price of Chubtones. More like $1k more.

I have a Luxxtone and it's my favorite guitar (at the moment). I've never played a Chubtone, but they look like amazing guitars. I don't think there needs to be a Vs with a winner or a loser. Both brands are winners in my book. I'll throw Friedmans in there too.

I have a Luxxtone and it's my favorite guitar (at the moment). I've never played a Chubtone, but they look like amazing guitars. I don't think there needs to be a Vs with a winner or a loser. Both brands are winners in my book. I'll throw Friedmans in there too.
You’re probably right, I bought my Chubtone very early on and it was closer to $1500 than $2k. But regretfully sold it in a fit of “I hate Floyds…today” fury.

A new ordered Luxx is 3K? I always heard they are 4K. Not that it's not worth it, but that's the price I was told.

A new ordered Luxx is 3K? I always heard they are 4K. Not that it's not worth it, but that's the price I was told.

Sorry, I meant buying new from a dealer's stock. I don't know exactly how much it'd be to custom spec as I don't have experience with that. The baseline price from their website is $2899 for a Machete, but obviously goes way up from there depending on what you add on.

Also, I’d see if either can offer a nitro or shellac finish to have a better chance of rivaling the aged nitro Charvel in sound quality, but also if the specs are otherwise very similar I wonder what they’d really bring to the table soundwise that the Charvel won’t. If it’s a different wood like mahogany vs alder that can be a big way to provide some good contrast

I'm sorry to break it to anyone but the name "Chubtone" just sounds puerile and stupid. "Hey Dude, dude from Sleazee RoXXX was playing a Chubtone when they opened for Steel Panther!"

At least the name Luxxtone implies "luxury tone".
Yeah I don’t think either name really sounds that great, but if they’re great products then I don’t care. I think peavey is one of the worst sounding brand names also lol. And the first name Hartley is maybe even worse sounding

Also, I’d see if either can offer a nitro or shellac finish to have a better chance of rivaling the aged nitro Charvel in sound quality, but also if the specs are otherwise very similar I wonder what they’d really bring to the table soundwise that the Charvel won’t. If it’s a different wood like mahogany vs alder that can be a big way to provide some good contrast
They all offer nitro. I have a USA San Dimas Charvel and it’s cool, but I like my Machete’s neck better by about 3x.

They all offer nitro. I have a USA San Dimas Charvel and it’s cool, but I like my Machete’s neck better by about 3x.
I haven’t played a machete or any luxxtone, but I haven’t liked any USA line Charvel I tried nearly as much as the Customshop ones and even within the custom shop line I found the aged nitro ones to be significantly better (all 3 that I had) both in playability (but I understand that is more personal), but far more important to me the actual sound part. It’s very rare for me to find any non-vintage guitars that I like the sound of, but I liked it of all 3 aged nitros I had (this one celadon one was the stand out for me), but still sold them due to other keepers

Back