Castors

• Thread starter Thread starter Smash
  • Start date Start date
Smash
Smash
Hack
I want to preface this by saying I am not a gigging musician. If I were a gigging musician, my opinion may be different, though i doubt it.

I fucking hate castors. As soon as i get an amp, i chunk those fuckers in the garbage. I hate the rattling sound they make and i like my cab on the fucking floor.

However, i have gotten significantly bigger (powerlifting), and my body plus the Mills cab in front of me makes for some tight squeezes just carrying it out of the house. And even as strong as i am, the mills is a heavy bitch. They made those things to go to space.

Anyone else hate castors? Any bedroom guitarists love them?

You can get better caters with thermoplastic or elastic rubber that won't make the amp rattle.

You can get better caters with thermoplastic or elastic rubber that won't make the amp rattle.

I've literally never had casters that have rattled before :dunno:

What does it sound like? anyone have a video or audio link?

I've literally never had casters that have rattled before :dunno:

What does it sound like? anyone have a video or audio link?
I replaced the casters on my 50w EVH combo with thermoplastic rubber ones before I even used it, so I couldn't tell you.

But I can see those hard plastic cheap casters they give you get a bit vibratory. The amp even comes with a warning about it.

I have wooden dollies from Amazon for my amps, including a full stack I use with my 1959HW; makes it easier to move around the house, and clean around them.

Easy enough to roll a cab to where you want it, and take it off the dolly until you need to move it again. I just leave mine on the dollies. Each can hold 660 lbs.

WEN 1320 lbs. Capacity 18 in. x 30 in. Hardwood Furniture Moving Dolly, Two Pack​

I enjoy having hamstrings still attached to my body and a lower back that still works, so I do like casters. I like the mesa track lock system, kinda best of both worlds for those who like versatility.

I do prefer the sound of the cab sitting directly on the floor. Although it’s hard to imagine that difference being picked up by a mic an inch or less away from the grill cloth. It seems to my ear that with the cab on the floor, you get a bit more low-end ‘punch’ but only at about 3’ away from the cab.

Wheels are for smooth surfaces only or they eventually break out the cab cause the screws get all stripped out the wood. I hit a good stage I want cab coupling effect. Casters do pretty much suck. Castor oil is great though.

I don’t like cab-directly-on-the-floor tone. The floor becomes part of your rig which is a bad thing, you move to another room or venue and your tone changes significantly. And you don’t want to step too far into the bass player’s territory. I’ve had about 20 different cabs and I’ve never heard a caster rattle while playing.

I should say i havent heard then rattle while playing. If they did, no one would have them. I just hate that they sound so shitty and loose.

It doesnt make a lot of sense, i know. But i am crazy as shit

I don’t like cab-directly-on-the-floor tone. The floor becomes part of your rig which is a bad thing, you move to another room or venue and your tone changes significantly. And you don’t want to step too far into the bass player’s territory. I’ve had about 20 different cabs and I’ve never heard a caster rattle while playing.

Same. That's one more variable I can't deal with. Easier to just dial in the low end and have it be the same every time, every time I move it.

I enjoy having hamstrings still attached to my body and a lower back that still works, so I do like casters. I like the mesa track lock system, kinda best of both worlds for those who like versatility.
From the time I worked in the oilfield til now, i have been picking up things others used a hoist for. I have never even gotten close to hurting my back, though everyone said I would.

I feel like a lot of people baby their back and then do some normal movement and fuck up their back. Idk

From the time I worked in the oilfield til now, i have been picking up things others used a hoist for. I have never even gotten close to hurting my back, though everyone said I would.

I feel like a lot of people baby their back and then do some normal movement and fuck up their back. Idk
You should try golf then lol. No thanks on caster less 4x12s.

Castor oil or Casters? :ROFLMAO:

All 4x12s need casters or else they become furniture, if you gigged you would hate people that take them off cabs.
The thing that is embarrassing is i not only misspelled in name of thread, but also twice in original post. I really have no excuse. Even 530 am isnt that much of an excuse, lol

Just the opposite, I keep looking for cabs WITH casters, lots of newer cabs that did not come with casters.

i love em. first thing i do when i get a new cab is go to home depot and get the big ass industrial strength ones with the wheel locks
I believe my mills came with these. I actually kept them and gave them to a friend

Back