Why so many amps?

• Thread starter Thread starter Smash
  • Start date Start date
Smash
Smash
Hack
I was talking with @Techdeth and then started wondering about others such as @RedB4Black What makes you guys want so many amps?

I only want one at a time. But when you have a bunch, is it to collect, collect/hoard, or because you need so many different tones?

Im genuinely curious

Also, i just realized, i dont want to have nice shit that i dont use. I would rather have someone else use it than just have it sit around

I just like each one I have a lot. After I get my Larry I will try to let more go .I literally just love amps and the unique tones , I even love plugging into a shitty head for the experience . Other than guitar books I don’t own much material things . I’m a weirdo with no car . No life . Just amps lol
I’m too weird

I just don't get rid of stuff for the most part unless I give it to family/friends.
People are strange or maybe I am, but not big on the meeting up to sell gear.
I believe that I've had all my amps since they were new sans one or two bought used, and the only ones I no longer have were stolen.
That said; I don't have many amps compared to most of y'all.

I just like each one I have a lot. After I get my Larry I will try to let more go .I literally just love amps and the unique tones , I even love plugging into a shitty head for the experience . Other than guitar books I don’t own much material things . I’m a weirdo with no car . No life . Just amps lol
I’m too weird
Yeah, but if you had a car than you could store more amps in it! :ROFLMAO:

I just don't get rid of stuff for the most part unless I give it to family/friends.
People are strange or maybe I am, but not big on the meeting up to sell gear.
I believe that I've had all my amps since they were new sans one or two bought used, and the only ones I no longer have were stolen.
That said; I don't have many amps compared to most of y'all.

I’m a loser weirdo lol I know
Yeah, but if you had a car than you could store more amps in it! :ROFLMAO:

When you’re able to run them side-by-side, you really get a much better idea of the differences plus the ability to run multi amp set ups.
A few times i had more than one. I just chose the one i liked best and got rid of the other. For awhile, i would have two, then sell one and get another only keeping the best. This is a great method for not regretting selling something.

But then i just went back to buying to try with one only. Probably why i hold onto amps so long when they are great

For recording different types of music.

But as far as developing your own distinct sound, it would be advantageous to stick to one.

I enjoy.meeting up to play a bunch of amps.
When i went to Matt's last time, we played my amp through all his cabs. One of them was just a phenomenal match, so i had to order the speakers. It is exciting.

I've always been more on Smashed's side

I've had maximum 3-4 amps at a time, but most of the time its 1-2 relatively nice/high end amps, with one or two amps being "tried out" or passing through.

I am confident enough in my micing and recording abilities to have a very good idea of how they compare without having them side by side

I think the biggest thing is I just can't justify having 40 grand in amps sitting around. If I struck it rich in bitcoin I would be like NowYourePlayingWithPower or tonemonster and I would have kept like every amp I've ever owned.

I currently have 16 amps, 11 4x12’s and 2 2x12’s. I certainly don’t need all of this stuff but the market is shit right now. Having an amp switcher will open your eyes as to the difference a cab makes. I have a handful of friends that are touring pros so it’s a lot of fun messing with all of them when they come around.
Most of them get played at least once every couple of weeks. There are a couple that don’t get played much.

Guilty…I’ve got multiple amps. I’ve at least gotten over having multiples of the same amp..lol. But another T-Verb to have with 34’s has started sounding good 🤦‍♂️
Three of my amps I bought because they were cheap and sounded amazing when I was killing time in a store. Mostly I try and get amps for a certain sound but they do end up getting dialed mostly the same. I like having several speakers too. They’re the easiest way to dial in an amp for recording. I have a 4x12 with 4 different speakers in it and just move the mics to the speaker that suits the amp best.
I’m with Techdeth. I love amps. More so than guitars.

I own about 10 amps but mostly because I stopped selling them.
Yeah, Intend to buy with the intention of keeping. But some of mine that have been mainstays is because I just don’t want to deal with selling them. I’m always glad I kept them around though when they hit that spot after being on the bench for a while.

Reactions: Geo
Guilty…I’ve got multiple amps. I’ve at least gotten over having multiples of the same amp..lol. But another T-Verb to have with 34’s has started sounding good 🤦‍♂️
Three of my amps I bought because they were cheap and sounded amazing when I was killing time in a store. Mostly I try and get amps for a certain sound but they do end up getting dialed mostly the same. I like having several speakers too. They’re the easiest way to dial in an amp for recording. I have a 4x12 with 4 different speakers in it and just move the mics to the speaker that suits the amp best.
I’m with Techdeth. I love amps. More so than guitars.
I am a one guitar type a guy too...but one acoustic, one electric

I play two at a time now, so I need backups. Right? My Stiletto needs tubes, so I'm gigging with the Verellen Skyhammer and Mesa Mark V in stereo. I liked the Stiletto more on its own than the Verellen, but the Skyhammer and the Mark V mix together better.

The others I keep for nostalgia. Who else has a Redbear MK120?

Also, I am always curious to see what an amp sounds like with different speakers or guitars or pickups.

I found I like my EVH 50w on the green channel with a Tele, who would have thought?.

So many options, so many amps, so many guitars, so many speakers.....

Back