Recommend a high gain amp with decent clean channel to replace Uberschall

• Thread starter Thread starter sacguy71
  • Start date Start date
sacguy71
sacguy71
So I am selling my Bogner Uberschall and looking for a new high gain amp that has a decent clean channel and player recording features. What amps would you recommend and why? My current setup once I sell the Bogner Uberschall will be Mesa Boogie Mark V and Mezzabarba MZero. I plan to keep these two amps as they are pure fire for many things.

Recording features being what? Built in direct out and MIDI?

Vote goes to the Peavey Invective because I like the 6505 and that is basically a 6505++

Depends on the recording features.

IR stuff? Driftwood or the Pete Thorn amp i guess

I would just find an amp's sound you like and get a separate attenuator/loadbox/IR loader whatever.

The Diezel Herbert has a very good clean channel. Think of it as a Twin with a ton of depth.

The only other amps with really great cleans are the Custom Audio Amps (Suhr PT100), which have the best out of any channel switcher I've ever played or owned, but they may not be up your alley.

Recording features being what? Built in direct out and MIDI?

Vote goes to the Peavey Invective because I like the 6505 and that is basically a 6505++
stuff like MIDI, noise gate, and so forth. I am looking at ENGL Savage, Revv Generator and Diezel amps as possible options.

The Diezel Herbert has a very good clean channel. Think of it as a Twin with a ton of depth.

The only other amps with really great cleans are the Custom Audio Amps (Suhr PT100), which have the best out of any channel switcher I've ever played or owned, but they may not be up your alley.
so you would pick it over VH4 or VHX?

Talked with Scott recently (Splawn) and he said the Clean on his new amps is the best it's been if the Nitro is dirty enough. Never played the Bogner.

The clean on Herbert are my fav

I need to visit a decent high end guitar shop that has these amps not buying one without playing through one first.

The Multi-Watt Dual Rectifier has Twin-like cleans and obviously killer dirty channels.

so you would pick it over VH4 or VHX?

I've owned the VH4S and Herbert. The Herbert has a way better clean channel in my opinion. The VHX is more of a digital modeling thing done by Diezel. It may have great cleans as well if you're into that kind of thing. If I were going in that direction, I would just get an AxeFx and save some money. I've seen a few guys here with the VHX, so they can speak to it better than I can.

As far as the Diezels are concerned, the VH4 and Herbert are great at what they do. The VH4 is a lot tighter and more HiFi. The Herbert is a very big, deep sounding amp. They both have "the Diezel" sound. The Herbert feels spongier, and the VH4 feels tighter.

I don't know what version of the Uberschall you currently own. I never have played a Rev Blue or the newest one. I had the 1st and 2nd versions. The Herbert has the deep vibe of the Uberschalls, but it still sounds like Diezel. I liked the feel of the Herbert a lot more than the Uberschalls.

The only other amps that I've owned that run with those two are the ENGL Powerball version 1 (noisy mess) and a Friedman modded Marshall JMP 2203 (Angry Hippie - KT88 power section). The Angry Hippie was like a Marshall on steroids that could go that deep. Anyway, I'm sure there are other amps that can do something in the same vein with a different flavor.

If you're able to do it, definitely go and try whatever you can get your hands on. There are a ton of us here that have played/owned all of these different amps at some point in time or another.

the 5k Diezel price tag however. I am actually looking at the Friedman JEL 20 watt amp. Less expensive and leaves money for a Fractal Axe Fx. Also want a 1970 reissue of Gibson Flying V.

the 5k Diezel price tag however. I am actually looking at the Friedman JEL 20 watt amp. Less expensive and leaves money for a Fractal Axe Fx. Also want a 1970 reissue of Gibson Flying V.
The 20W JEL is great

Think of it as a better built, better sounding SC20H

The 20W JEL is great

Think of it as a better built, better sounding SC20H
Cool well think that I am leaning toward ENGL Savage or Diezel Herbert at this point. Expensive amps but selling off some unused gear should fund it along with a new pointy guitar hehe.

Back