SLO

That is a sweet sounding amplifier. I bet a Charvel guitar would sound pretty good through that...then you could call yourself 'shar-vell solDano'. ;)

I've owned 2 of them. I had to sell both of them because times got tough. There are probably about 6 amps left on my list, and the SLO is one of them. It's a shame they used to be $1700 on the used market some 20 years ago.
I remember when you could get lucky & snag one for $1200 bucks.
That ship has sailed.

I've owned 2 of them. I had to sell both of them because times got tough. There are probably about 6 amps left on my list, and the SLO is one of them. It's a shame they used to be $1700 on the used market some 20 years ago.
Yeah there were deals back late 90's.. I got a SLO Rackmount head from Rick Steier for 900.00. and an X88r for 400.00 from a studio/rental place in L.A. Cheapest regular SLO head I got was 1400.00. I remember when if you were asking 2k for an SLO people were laughing at you. I remember a WTB ad. All mods SLO wanted. No $2200 dreamers! As much as love the SLO and Mike and Bill are such great guys, I always come back to Marshalls.

Yeah there were deals back late 90's.. I got a SLO Rackmount head from Rick Steier for 900.00. and an X88r for 400.00 from a studio/rental place in L.A. Cheapest regular SLO head I got was 1400.00. I remember when if you were asking 2k for an SLO people were laughing at you. I remember a WTB ad. All mods SLO wanted. No $2200 dreamers! As much as love the SLO and Mike and Bill are such great guys, I always come back to Marshalls.

I wish I could wake up and it would be 1998 all over again.

With you 100%... I remember the SL60's going for $6-750 on HC and laughing.... Good times

I've had several over the years and unfortunately because of financial issues I got rid of all of them. It's my desert island amp no question. The one drawback is the louder they are the better they sound there's something magical once you get them close to halfway and louder!

sounds just like an SLO to me... a little dark and dry, that low mid kind of cloud that hangs over everything, just not very exciting :dunno:
Some guys doing good with that juicy tone . Especially lynch . But it’s not my style . I had an avenger . Loved it

sounds just like an SLO to me... a little dark and dry, that low mid kind of cloud that hangs over everything, just not very exciting :dunno:
If you ever get a chance to plug into one, turn it up....and up......much like a Wizard, the amp doesn't fall apart ever all the way to 11....with a boost pedal in front, it's very modded Marshall-y to me.
It's one of those 'have to play one in person' amps, IMO.

I've had several over the years and unfortunately because of financial issues I got rid of all of them. It's my desert island amp no question. The one drawback is the louder they are the better they sound there's something magical once you get them close to halfway and louder!
My first one, I got from you back in 14. I was lukewarm on it until I boosted it. Then I bout shit my pants.
Killer amp.

I cranked an original SLO 100 in a rehearsal studio once and compared it to the Peavey 5150 II. Not much difference or at least not $2000 worth. SLO had slightly more clarity and definition but more white noise. Another amp to get you close is the Tremoverb.
I get(sort of) the comp with the 5150s....after all, Peavey straight copied the SLO. But the Trem? No way. That amp is darker than the C, F Rectos I've had. Cool amp but the C was easily the closest and it was still way darker than the SLOs I've had.

I must have owned the SLO 100 over a dozen times since '92. It was around $1800 then. Great amp. IMO, it sounds nothing like a Marshall.
Rather than dial in the Gain high, I keep it noon or so and hit it with a boost.
I also don't buy how glorious it is really loud. It gets great tones at all volumes. The power amp isn't contributing anything at high volumes. it was designed to stay clean, HIFI.

I had a BAD SLO and 4x12 in purple a few years ago. I sold it cause I was moving. It really pissed me off on the head a few small areas of the purple tolex had a bleached effect. Like the coloring disappeared.
Sounded cool w/ my Clapton Strat-

Back