This Tyler has just about the sickest top I've ever seen.

I refer to that as "the ugliest headstock ever created"

I can't get over it

It could be the most beautiful guitar on earth, and it's fine in the blues lawyer way, but holy shit the headstock looks like when they showed you pictures of STDs in sex education in high school, and they showed the dick with all the genital warts

I swear to god its so ugly it actually kind of pisses me off, because otherwise it would be a nice guitar im sure

I can't get over it

It could be the most beautiful guitar on earth, and it's fine in the blues lawyer way, but holy shit the headstock looks like when they showed you pictures of STDs in sex education in high school, and they showed the dick with all the genital warts

I swear to god its so ugly it actually kind of pisses me off, because otherwise it would be a nice guitar im sure
+1000. I see it more as one of them special olympics bodybuilders. Body is in great shape but that head...

Bet that guitar is near 10K.
The headstock complaints are old news. Don't buy one, problem solved. The prices are insane. I'm glad I got mine before the prices skyrocketed.
My Tyler Twins will be 10 years old soon.

1720555732419.jpeg

The headstock complaints are old news. Don't buy one, problem solved.

I'm not the one who posted it saying it was the sickest guitar ever :ROFLMAO:

That's like posting a picture of Sarah Jessica Parker and saying "the most beautiful woman on earth" and then getting big mad because people are asking what years she won the Kentucky Derby.

SJP.jpg

I'm sure they play great, but jesus christ almighty, If i owned it, i actually might take a sawzall to that headstock

I'm not the one who posted it saying it was the sickest guitar ever :ROFLMAO:

That's like posting a picture of Sarah Jessica Parker and saying "the most beautiful woman on earth" and then getting big mad because people are asking what years she won the Kentucky Derby.

View attachment 323382

I'm sure they play great, but jesus christ almighty, If i owned it, i actually might take a sawzall to that headstock
If you ever played one, you’d forget all about the headstock.

If you ever played one, you’d forget all about the headstock.

I'd better for 10k :LOL: Especially for a bolt-on

I've played a couple of insanely priced vintage guitars, and some retardedly expensive guitars

The best have been the vintage gibsons, and the McInturff, Collings, Heatley, and Nik Hubers

Even then, I would never pay 10k for any of them - i guess to me there's far less of a gap between the high end and mid tier guitars, as opposed to high end and mid tier amps and pedals

I would much rather have a top shelf rig and an LTD or Edwards than a DSL and a 45 thousand dollar guitar

I'd better for 10k :LOL: Especially for a bolt-on

I've played a couple of insanely priced vintage guitars, and some retardedly expensive guitars

The best have been the vintage gibsons, and the McInturff, Collings, Heatley, and Nik Hubers

Even then, I would never pay 10k for any of them - i guess to me there's far less of a gap between the high end and mid tier guitars, as opposed to high end and mid tier amps and pedals

I would much rather have a top shelf rig and an LTD or Edwards than a DSL and a 45 thousand dollar guitar
I don’t know how to explain it, but in person the headstock really to me doesn’t look quite as bad as it somehow does in pics. I still wouldn’t get one simply because I prefer other guitars, but some of the ones I tried were very nice

For me the best guitars I’ve tried are vintage Gibson’s, Fender’s, Marchione’s, Tao’s, Deimel’s and Fiam’s and those latter 3 aren’t crazy expensive (in general at least). I’ve owned and tried many examples of the ones you mentioned and they were really good, but got sent packing for me by some of my favorites

For me the gap is pretty similar to amps with those particular guitars I like, but otherwise I’d 100% agree because most guitars high end guitars seem to be trying to be meticulous everywhere except in sound. It’s like a restaurant being judged on everything besides how the food tastes

most guitars high end guitars seem to be trying to be meticulous everywhere except in sound. It’s like a restaurant being judged on everything besides how the food tastes

That's partly why I don't think I've ever played a guitar worth that kind of money :dunno:

If I can find a great playing mid tier (generally american or korean or japanese) guitar, I can tailor the electronics to fit and synergize with its natural sound - and it will end up far superior to basically all of the stupidly expensive guitars mentioned in the thread, because apparently no one who makes guitars cares how they sound/has a good ear for tone

I can't tell you how many beautiful playing (and looking!) PRS, Suhr, and TA guitars i've plugged in and actually laughed at the stock electronics

I cannot fathom paying 10k (or basically anything above 5k) for a guitar that sounds worse than a 1-2k navigator or E-II or world manufactured import with big kid pickups put in aftermarket - I physically cannot wrap my brain around that, because its so easy to do. With amps and pedals, I feel like the gap is drastically different and wider.

You can't put a Vemuram tube screamer in front of a HRD, or replace the glass in the HRD, and all of the sudden you're on the level of a dumble or a great dumble klone, it simply doesn't work like that.

But with guitars, it absolutely DOES work like that, at a certain tier.

That's partly why I don't think I've ever played a guitar worth that kind of money :dunno:

If I can find a great playing mid tier (generally american or korean or japanese) guitar, I can tailor the electronics to fit and synergize with its natural sound - and it will end up far superior to basically all of the stupidly expensive guitars mentioned in the thread, because apparently no one who makes guitars cares how they sound/has a good ear for tone

I can't tell you how many beautiful playing (and looking!) PRS, Suhr, and TA guitars i've plugged in and actually laughed at the stock electronics

I cannot fathom paying 10k (or basically anything above 5k) for a guitar that sounds worse than a 1-2k navigator or E-II or world manufactured import with big kid pickups put in aftermarket - I physically cannot wrap my brain around that, because its so easy to do. With amps and pedals, I feel like the gap is drastically different and wider.

You can't put a Vemuram tube screamer in front of a HRD, or replace the glass in the HRD, and all of the sudden you're on the level of a dumble or a great dumble klone, it simply doesn't work like that.

I would generally agree. There are lots of great sounding affordable guitars. My personal favorite affordable one is probably my 1969 Hagstrom HIIN ($700). Imo it kills many very expensive guitars. There are lots of very underrated vintage guitars in general like also the ‘60’s Guild’s imo can hold their own with most vintage Gibson’s I’ve had and can be had in the $2000’s

I find Suhr, TA and PRS’s to be particularly sterile sounding even vs most other boutique guitars. I think guys just like the way they look

The exceptions to these for me are the guitars I mentioned as my favorites. I didn’t believe it either beforehand, but after trying (and having now some of them) no other guitars I’ve tried can match what I like in the sound of the Marchione’s, Tao’s, Deimel’s or good vintage Gibson’s IME regardless of electronics (I’ve tried). I’ve even tried some great sounding vintage Gibson’s with recent made Gibson pickups. They still were very hard to rival. Not saying they’re worth the money still. Currently my only keeper guitars worth over $5k would just be my ‘57 LP Jr and ‘64 Epiphone Riviera. Tao and Deimel can be had in the low $3000’s. To me at least those are not overpriced, although some of their guitars are way more expensive and not better imo

I agree.....I have played a few 60s Strats, and while the tone is indeed great it's not 25-50k great...nor is it THAT much better than my 1-3k USA Charvel/Jacksons, or MiJ Greco etc with the right electronics. Just not that much of a jump for me. Like you, it's the rest of the rig that matters most in the chain. As long as the guitar has the feel/playability I want, I'll work on the rest to get it as good as possible.
That's not to say I don't notice a great guitar tone when I hear it. I had a particularly growly 79 Greco that I wish I'd have kept; and I sold a 2008 Charvel USA that had GREAT tone, but I had a 1984 Charvel that I had to have. It too was great, but that 08 Charvel had something special.

I can't get over it

The headstock is clunky, but not a dealbreaker. I actually cant stand the fender headstock. I hate that whimpy round end...

I am right there with you. I have taken korean and indonesian made guitars and upgraded the parts and they were fucking special. It would have to be a really good builder for me not to upgrade the electronics..it is literally the first thing i do. The "custom shop" soldering is terrible most times

I am right there with you. I have taken korean and indonesian made guitars and upgraded the parts and they were fucking special. It would have to be a really good builder for me not to upgrade the electronics..it is literally the first thing i do. The "custom shop" soldering is terrible most times

Not to mention they always pick the dumbest, shittiest sounding pickups and electrolytics.

I swear to god, the main reason I'm kind of skeptical of tonewood is because paul reed smith is such a proponent of it, but his guitars sound like shit. They look great, sure, and sometimes play great, but out of all the pickups they've made the only good ones are the 5708s imo

Which is INSANE. If someone is that obsessed with tone, you would think he would notice the complete trash pickups in half of his guitars

Back