What attenuator(s) are you using for your NMV amps these days?

• Thread starter Thread starter MadAsAHatter
  • Start date Start date
Attenuators are junk. If you aren't getting those speakers barking it's never gonna be the same anyways. Might as well just bring a decent OD.

Agree.. good to knock a few db's off but regardless, they change the tone. Straight in and " bare back" is the way to go and that's the sound that's in your head. Ya gotta crank it.

Agree.. good to knock a few db's off but regardless, they change the tone. Straight in and " bare back" is the way to go and that's the sound that's in your head. Ya gotta crank it.
I don't use mine very often...running either 72 Marshall through greenbacks is one way to 'dampen' the tone; since they aren't as efficient they keep the vol a little lower than a cab with V30s, 65s or 75s. Of course, until you fry the GBs lol.

Hate all attenuators. Have had many including the various powerstations and Ultimate and Alex and a ton more. They all rob something. I have given up on them.

Seems majority votes go to either a powerstation or nothing at all. I have a PS100 initially bought to use as an attenuator. But I found the MV on my amps worked just as well. So I've been using it as a power amp for my Synergy/MTS setup. I have a couple of NMV amp builds I'm thinking about doing (Laney supergroup & Marshall super lead clones) and considering the best way to tame the volume a little. Not trying to get to bedroom levels, just take the volume down to at most 90-100 dB. Another powerstation may be the way to go.

My PS2A as a power amp.
Thats the one thing I haven't tried as I use it for attenuating and the loop.
Have been considering trying one of those Friedman IR-X units though.
My buddy has one and loves it!

I have a Fryette PS100 for 2 years, but it totally changes the sound. The reason? because of its invented impedance curve.. amp + cab sound completely different.
Using the fryette is like using through a loadbox.. I will get an Aracom or Scumback attenuator, I only need a couple of db to not burn the speakers, I hope to be happy.

I have a Fryette PS100 for 2 years, but it totally changes the sound. The reason? because of its invented impedance curve.. amp + cab sound completely different.
Using the fryette is like using through a loadbox.. I will get an Aracom or Scumback attenuator, I only need a couple of db to not burn the speakers, I hope to be happy.
My sense is they all change the sound more or less. Seems to me the best goal is to just be able to achieve a sound that you're happy with, even if it isn't a perfect translation. Here's a good resource though.

Power Station or Hot Plate.

Yes they all change the sound. All also change the dynamics and feel.

My sense is they all change the sound more or less. Seems to me the best goal is to just be able to achieve a sound that you're happy with, even if it isn't a perfect translation. Here's a good resource though.
In this video there is not the only attenuator that has been talked about for over 15 years as the best: Aracom. And it is also hard to find tests with this on youtube.

I think that considerations on gear/hardware are always subjective, it depends a lot on the use that one makes of it.
And in my case I only need the first or second step of attenuation to not burn the speakers, also using the Greenback with Marshall JMP/JCM 100W.

If I have to give opinions on this video, the only one that does it really well is Alex/Scumback. All the others already at the first step modify the sound audibly.

Returning to the Fryette, my use of the fryette PS100 is mainly in analog recording (I do not use IRs): here everything is easily audible. When I activate fryette it totally changes the sound that the amp has with the interaction of the cabinet, becoming really unreal and artificial, and puts a mask on the sound. This has always been described as "different", but for me that is not the way to describe it.
I only use it because I have to when I use fragile speakers, but if I can I avoid it.

What I wonder is why almost no one talks about this? No one notices this difference or are they happy with it?

I have never had Aracom yet, but in the description on their site it mentions precisely this aspect of the amp + cab interaction as fundamental for the sound and it is not modified.
I hope to be able to try it.

In this video there is not the only attenuator that has been talked about for over 15 years as the best: Aracom. And it is also hard to find tests with this on youtube.

I think that considerations on gear/hardware are always subjective, it depends a lot on the use that one makes of it.
And in my case I only need the first or second step of attenuation to not burn the speakers, also using the Greenback with Marshall JMP/JCM 100W.

If I have to give opinions on this video, the only one that does it really well is Alex/Scumback. All the others already at the first step modify the sound audibly.

Returning to the Fryette, my use of the fryette PS100 is mainly in analog recording (I do not use IRs:) here everything is easily audible. When I activate fryette it totally changes the sound that the amp has with the interaction of the cabinet, becoming really unreal and artificial, and puts a mask on the sound. This has always been described as "different", but for me that is not the way to describe it.
I only use it because I have to when I use fragile speakers, but if I can I avoid it.

What I wonder is why almost no one talks about this? No one notices this difference or are they happy with it?

I have never had Aracom yet, but in the description on their site it mentions precisely this aspect of the amp + cab interaction as fundamental for the sound and it is not modified.
Perhaps the Aracom is better, but I can tell you that with my Rockcrusher even only the first 3db attenuation changes the sound allot. For my rig I'm generally most happy just reducing the volume to power amp via the loop.

Perhaps the Aracom is better, but I can tell you that with my Rockcrusher even only the first 3db attenuation changes the sound allot. For my rig I'm generally most happy just reducing the volume to power amp via the loop.
Yes, in fact in the video the Rockcrusher modifies the sound -bad- even at the first step.

I have had 2 or 3 Rivera Rockcrusher, bought at different times for different uses, it was the only one easily purchased used. And I can say the same: at the first step the difference in sound was very audible, also it attenuates more than declared, probably double.

I will try to buy the Aracom while I still have the Fryette ps100, before selling it, so as to do an A/B test.

I have used a RockCrusher for like 5yrs and I have loved it. I live in a condo so it fits perfect for me. I've posted countless clips online facebook and youtube etc. Never really had anyone EVER even notice but had many many positive feedback comments on the tones.

Returning to the Fryette, my use of the fryette PS100 is mainly in analog recording (I do not use IRs:) here everything is easily audible. When I activate fryette it totally changes the sound that the amp has with the interaction of the cabinet, becoming really unreal and artificial, and puts a mask on the sound. This has always been described as "different", but for me that is not the way to describe it.

Mine (PS-2) only has a difference if the volume is cranked getting the power section to distort.

You realize this is not an attenuator right?

Even using my Hotplate there isn’t much difference till you get to the last two clicks.

PS2A is a modern classic. The new St Rock Raect IR II is very good as well and comes with the ir loader and everything else. Worth checking out.

I have a ps2A that I am using. I also use a suhr reactive load into a Marshall 8008 valvestate power amp, both work very well.

Lately I have been adding master volumes where I can because I to invest in an amp switcher.

I remember a few years back Pete Thorn did the Rock Crusher demo and he recorded it at diff DB but volume matched all the clips and there was very little difference in the sound. Now that said, I would argue that just having the attenuator in the signal period, already changes that tone and I am not crazy about it but can at least use it a few notches down. But no question that no attentuator sounds better.

Here it is time stamped:

If I'm not worried about IRs, I used my Webber Mass 200. If I need IRs, then I use my TwoNotes Captor X.

Back