Delay Placement Poll

• Thread starter Thread starter stephen sawall
  • Start date Start date

Do you prefer delay in the effects loop or in front of amp ???

• In the effects loop

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • In front of amp

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Both

Votes: 19 23.2%

• Total voters
It depends.

If you're going digital delay or clean delay type lines - loop.
If you're going for analog dirty type delay lines - in front.
you know man, i have never gotten along with analog delays, but have always ran them in the FX Loop. perhaps i should try in front.

Historically, in the loop. But I've been running mine in a wet/dry setup lately with a line out going into the normal channel of a DRRI...

I put the BOSS DM-101 in the loop of the Fryette Sig X last night. After months of it being in front of several different amps.
The range you can use of delay parameters is much more limited with the delay into high gain amp distortion. But analog delay into tube saturation can sound great. Power amp saturation would be my preference because it is more dynamic. Preamp for the more compressed stuff. In the loop delay the entire range of the parameters are usable.

For high gain or anywhere I might use high gain, it's either in the loop or at the board post mic. When I've played into clean amps, a nice delay pedal out front works great, and is easier to manage.

I do a lot of delay or ambiance, but have thought about trying to do more of it as something new to explore. Most gain delay for me is just to thicken up leads or a ducked on leads, and gone for everything else.

Back