Delay Placement Poll

• Thread starter Thread starter stephen sawall
  • Start date Start date

Do you prefer delay in the effects loop or in front of amp ???

• In the effects loop

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • In front of amp

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Both

Votes: 19 23.2%

• Total voters
This is an quite interesting post. I have a SA Nemesis into Ventris in the loop of my Friedman DS mini, with an Eventide Black Hole into a Keeley Halo at the end of my main board that is stereo to the Friedman and an Ampeg Jet J-20 amp. Getting very nice dark tones out of the BH and the Halo is outstanding feeding its stereo outs to the amps. However, the SA's, a C4synth, and EG Pitch Fork feeding the Friedman EL gives me "everything" only on the "left." It's still nice since I have the Friedman pushing a half stack with V30's with both the main board and EL. I have yet to figure a good way to send the effects loop signal to BOTH sides since the J-20 has no effects loop! I'd really appreciate any good suggestions.

It’s because here at Rig-talk we don’t like to delay putting it in.

It depends.

If you're going digital delay or clean delay type lines - loop.
If you're going for analog dirty type delay lines - in front.

I currently have a delay in the loop for gainy leads, but also an analog delay in front for clean country stuff.

Kinda like both.

Last edited:
Interesting how different the answers are here vs. TGP. The Both selection is about the same tho.

Tan Pants
Loop 45
Input 27
Both 28

Black jorts
Loop 73
Input 2
Both 25
Tan Pants is actually
Input 45 %
Loop 27%
Both 28%

I switched the order for the two forums because it was obvious that tan pants would mostly be in front of amp. I don't think most if them use high gain or effects loop at all.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...y-placement-poll.2579515/page-2#post-39318410

Tan Pants is actually
Input 45 %
Loop 27%
Both 28%

I switched the order for the two forums because it was obvious that tan pants would mostly be in front of amp. I don't think most if them use high gain or effects loop at all.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...y-placement-poll.2579515/page-2#post-39318410
It makes sense, if going into a clean amp I want it in front even if there is a loop. It just sounds more lush to me.

And with gain the delay that stays on 95% of the time is the one in the loop, I could do without the one in front. The one in front of the dirty amps doesn’t get used much and only for short durations.

Always in the loop unless I'm specifically going for a vintage "everything is blowing up and going to shit" kind of vibe, or if you've designed your entire rig as a pedal platform kind of thing where the entire amp is acting as a clean poweramp for your pedals. And in that case I'd still route the delay after the amp-in-a-box pedal which would be effectively the same as "in the loop" routing.

Loop

My loop is basically delay into reverb. I’ll put something like vibe to delay to reverb in the loop if adding other stuff

But always reverb last and anything like vibe, chorus, flange, ect going before delay

But I don’t mind going delay in front if needed or just being lazy. It usually sounds fine even with gain if the delay can be set low enough.

Loop

My loop is basically delay into reverb. I’ll put something like vibe to delay to reverb in the loop if adding other stuff

But always reverb last and anything like vibe, chorus, flange, ect going before delay

But I don’t mind going delay in front if needed or just being lazy. It usually sounds fine even with gain if the delay can be set low enough.
This brings up a whole ‘nuther before/in-the-loop discussion…modulation. I always without exception want Phaser/Vibe/Flange in front. Chorus/detune usually in the loop. The former due to the Jimi/Trower/EVH camp and latter because I just don’t like Chorus in front of dirty.

This brings up a whole ‘nuther before/in-the-loop discussion…modulation. I always without exception want Phaser/Vibe/Flange in front. Chorus/detune usually in the loop. The former due to the Jimi/Trower/EVH camp and latter because I just don’t like Chorus in front of dirty.
I guess I do usually use a true univibe out front…but the rest of stuff like that in the loop.

Many different ways to use this stuff.

If I had to pick one, it's the loop, but I keep a DD-8 in front for a vintage vibe.

I'm either playing backline amps with my entire sound from the board, or I'm playing my own amps that I crank up to at least edge of breakup in the power section.

In front because I'm lazy and because it doesn't really matter in my use cases.

Now if I were in a big well-funded band with roadies and dedicated techs and stuff (daydreaming), I guess I would prefer to have my delay added in at the board.

Back