Favorite Neck Profile

• Thread starter Thread starter VH1R2
  • Start date Start date
That's the top of the line Japanese build. If you look at some of the more affordable 77's they are JT models, for "Japan Taste". Chinese built but set up in Japan. They stopped the full Japan models for a while but I think they are coming back. The Exrubato Jazz was the full Japanese hollow. They are all part of Deviser brand instruments.

My Edwards E-SA was the superior guitar to the Gibson ES-333 I had so I sold it. I believe it may have some Chinese parts but is Japan assembled and set up. Edwards is worth a look.They aren't laminated they are machine carved solid rock maple with a mahogany block but very similar tone to the Gibsons.

I really want to get my hands on a inspired by Gibson Epi 355 to try. Factory Gibson custom buckers. Truthfully the newer Sheratons look good now that they ditched the canoe paddle headstock but they also lost the five piece maple/walnut/maple/walnut/maple neck too. If you check out the Epi Quingdao factory tour on youtube you can see the machine that presses the tops. It is the equal to the machine Gibson uses IMO.

As long as it is fairly loud acoustically, plays well, if needed you give it a decent set of pickups and you're right there with Gibson.

Maybe I should show you a Momose next. Now you'll need to sell a kidney too.I I need to go to bed or you'll keep me up all night wit this stuff brother. The ES is my favorite axe. Have a great night my friend.

View attachment 351587
I'm jealous, that is a seriously nice guitar. I like that one. I'm building a star with a danelectro neck.

I'm going to start looking for one. I've always wanted one might as well get one.

Asymmetrical, more shoulder on top than bottom/treble side. If not custom then a flat D. Shout out for the Dean v profile too.

I realized over the past few years that I like a chunky C neck, no shoulder, with a 1 5/8th inch nut. Maybe dimensionally about 0.89 at the 1st and about 0.99 at 12th. Just feels right and doesn't negatively impact speed and can still easily do thumb over chords...I'll admit though, I'm no Petrucci 😁

My favourite neck profile is one I stumbled into by chance. From Musikraft, I think its a slim-ish C. In the neighbourhood of a 60s Gibson neck.

Bought it on discount out of their in-stock options and got lucky.

I don't know if I have a favorite. I know that I don't like huge, baseball bat necks for sure. But I have PRS with wide thin, an Ibby with the Wizard neck, a Suhr with the .800-.850 standard 10"-12" eliptical profile and a Suhr Andy Wood. I like them all, but the Andy Wood may be my favorite for some reason. (It is non eliptical "16").

I don't know if I have a favorite. I know that I don't like huge, baseball bat necks for sure. But I have PRS with wide thin, an Ibby with the Wizard neck, a Suhr with the .800-.850 standard 10"-12" eliptical profile and a Suhr Andy Wood. I like them all, but the Andy Wood may be my favorite for some reason. (It is non eliptical "16").
I like the PRS wide thin although "to me" it doesn't feel all that thin. Certainly not like Wizard neck. At least my Tremonti's don't. I know the original Tremonti's supposedly had their own carve, which I own an older one but the newer one I have is the Wide Thin, feels the same.

My JP6 has a fantastic neck shape. I had a thing for the old Ibanez Wizard neck on the RG550.

I personally like thinner necks most but in the end the sum of all factors matters more.

Thin "C" .79 - .89 1 3/4" nut width with R3 nut (allows more overhang so high E doesn't slip off edge of board).
IMG_2476.JPG

My Japanese Ibanez Prestige has an incredible neck...almost plays itself.

My Les Paul Std has an asymmetrical slim neck that is super comfy as well..

Can get along with any neck, really.
It just makes me play differently.
Not a big fan of 50s necks on SGs, though.
50s on LPs and others are fine.

TL;DR I like thinner/wide profiles over rounded ones if ordering something specific and it's an option or if y'all are Christmas shopping for me :ROFLMAO:

The Fender 10/56V profile

Close second is the Tom Anderson Happy Medium

I like the PRS wide thin although "to me" it doesn't feel all that thin. Certainly not like Wizard neck. At least my Tremonti's don't. I know the original Tremonti's supposedly had their own carve, which I own an older one but the newer one I have is the Wide Thin, feels the same.

I agree about the wide thin in that it doesn't feel that thin. But it is SUPER comfortable. The most thin feeling neck I have is my Ibanez. I thought I wouldn't like it, but I love the feel of it. The only down side is that if I play that guitar for awhile all other necks feel huge lol.

Someone mentioned the JP6, I had a JP7 for awhile and I found the neck very comfortable too. Another honorable mention was my Hamer Monaco Elite. Nice, thinner, comfortable neck. I also had an Anderson Angel for awhile, and the neck was great, although quite a bit different from my Suhr and others for some reason. I'd love to try the thinner Angel neck.

One neck I was a little disappointed with was my ESP Eclipse II. Not huge, and not terribly bad, but I just didn't like it was much as my others for some reason.

I agree about the wide thin in that it doesn't feel that thin. But it is SUPER comfortable. The most thin feeling neck I have is my Ibanez. I thought I wouldn't like it, but I love the feel of it. The only down side is that if I play that guitar for awhile all other necks feel huge lol.

Someone mentioned the JP6, I had a JP7 for awhile and I found the neck very comfortable too. Another honorable mention was my Hamer Monaco Elite. Nice, thinner, comfortable neck. I also had an Anderson Angel for awhile, and the neck was great, although quite a bit different from my Suhr and others for some reason. I'd love to try the thinner Angel neck.

One neck I was a little disappointed with was my ESP Eclipse II. Not huge, and not terribly bad, but I just didn't like it was much as my others for some reason.
My favorite neck of all time was my late 80's ESP Horizon w/ the Jackson style headstock. Still to this day the best sounding and best playing guitar I ever owned. Back then I had alot of ESP's - Mirage Customs, newer Horizons with the redesigned headstock and not one of them had that same neck carve. If felt alot like the PRS wide thin.

My Ernie Ball Music Man EVH neck.
I enjoyed my EBMM Axis neck quite alot but I eventually grew to dislike the 10 inch radius and the narrow 6105 medium jumbo frets, but it got alot of play time for sure until I had my old Kramers refretted.

I am more comfortable on a a heavy C neck 12 inch radius that is on my original 1983 Kramer Imperial that came from the factory without a polyurethane finish. The closest profile that is nearly identical is the Musikraft CS3 .87/.95 profile and I try to stay close to this profile.
1728669677923.jpeg

Last edited:

Back