Favorite Neck Profile

• Thread starter Thread starter VH1R2
  • Start date Start date
I’m not that picky but one thing I don’t like (actually caused pain) is a big asymmetrical shoulder near the heel. I like the asymmetrical near the nut but not near the heel. Lately I just get the Warmoth ‘59 and it feels great, it’s not super chunky just a lil thick.

I enjoyed my EBMM Axis neck quite alot but I eventually grew to dislike the 10 inch radius and the narrow 6105 medium jumbo frets, but it got alot of play time for sure until I had my old Kramers refretted.

I am more comfortable on a a heavy C neck 12 inch radius that is on my original 1983 Kramer Imperial that came from the factory without a polyurethane finish. The closest profile that is nearly identical is the Musikraft CS3 .87/.95 profile and I try to stay close to this profile.
View attachment 351830

I agree 100%, HD👍

I like a12” radius from bottom to top, and bigger frets, but I do love the ‘back profile’ on that EBMM neck.

I like:

Ibanez Wizard Prestige: Super thin, super playable.
ESP Thin U: Good thin neck with a narrower nut. Super comfy.
Gibson 60's: Good middle of the road. Not too thin, not too thick.

I don't like thick necks, V profile necks, or fretboards rounder than 10", personally, but I'm pretty sure I can get used to playing any neck. Although, TBH, I have never played those '58 LP profiles or those early 50's Tele necks. Not that I want to, honestly.

1728727428414.png

Yeah still gotta be these for me. Comfortable and it doesn't really have thick shoulders that slow me down.

Decades in this,I've settled on jackson or charvel speed neck profile or TA even taper- 20. Love the guitrie govan neck too.Seem to prefer c over d backshape.lots of shoulder on the sides seems to fatigue my hand and slow me down too much.
A few years ago I lucked out and found a local luthier that will actually reshape the neck to whatever I want ( provided the wood is there). He matches the finish and everything. I do have a few soloists that have huge fat d necks on them.Im just gonna leave em that way for the heck of it.

I’m not that picky but one thing I don’t like (actually caused pain) is a big asymmetrical shoulder near the heel. I like the asymmetrical near the nut but not near the heel. Lately I just get the Warmoth ‘59 and it feels great, it’s not super chunky just a lil thick.
The 59 profile is very close to what I like as well.:2thumbsup: No too thick not too thin it's just Goldilocks right........................:LOL:

1. The Ibanez JPM100P4 petrucci. The camo one. Best ever.

2. Wolfgang

3. Jeff Beck Fender baseball bat neck from 2000s

I like the Fender Modern C neck a lot too. Good middle of the road, not too thick, not too thin. Those vintage tall frets are nice too. I just wished more of the came with 12" fretboards.

I like the Fender Modern C neck a lot too. Good middle of the road, not too thick, not too thin. Those vintage tall frets are nice too. I just wished more of the came with 12" fretboards.
Yeah a friend has an American Deluxe Strat with a modern C/compound radius neck and it's my second favourite of all time after my '99 LTD(!) V-250 with the ESP thin U/12" radius. That thing is insane to play, they were only really gimped on the hardware level with a shitty licensed Floyd Rose Pro bridge and ok-ish passive EMGs.

The neck on my Taylor 510 is pretty much perfect. But I do like variety too.

Yeah a friend has an American Deluxe Strat with a modern C/compound radius neck and it's my second favourite of all time after my '99 LTD(!) V-250 with the ESP thin U/12" radius. That thing is insane to play, they were only really gimped on the hardware level with a shitty licensed Floyd Rose Pro bridge and ok-ish passive EMGs.
I love the neck on my LTD's as well.

I'm a big fan of the "V" carve. But I can play anything except the super thin necks...they make my hand hurt after a while. But I have gigantic gorilla mitts with huge sausage fingers. Mmmmm....sausage.

View attachment 352097

Yeah still gotta be these for me. Comfortable and it doesn't really have thick shoulders that slow me down.
Had a CS Strat a few years ago with this neck profile and loved it. Nowadays no real preference - I’ll happily play from ‘59 LP necks to ESP Standard Series thin. That said, I tried a KH2 Hammet not too long ago and didn’t like it much (too flat up high) and I can’t play baseball bat ‘58 Gibson style necks all that well.

Original wizard not super wizard. Ibanez petrucci jpm neck. Wolfgang and charvel pro mods mij or usa.

Almost forgot mij ibanez jem necks are also great.

Also played a prs dusty waring and really liked the profile.

Back