1982 JCM 800

• Thread starter Thread starter BIGKAHUNA
  • Start date Start date
BIGKAHUNA
BIGKAHUNA
I have a chance to get an 82 JCM 800 but there is a bit of risk involved as I'd have to rely on UPS to package it and I am honestly not really comfortable with that. The 800 is more of a bucket list thing really - I'd most likely need to pick up a Fryette PS2 or similar to be able to get the goods out of it at non gig level volume. There are also deals out there in the same price range that would not require the shipping risk and would probably be more serviceable at lower volume without attenuation being an absolute requirement....Friedman BE 50, Helios Eclipse...etc

Is the 800 worth the risk and investment? Struggling a bit with this one.

Can you get insurance on it? With them packing it.....Not sure they old weasel out of coverage?

I can play my 800s at reasonable volumes.....sd-1 in front helps at low volume. Obviously I am talking about MV amps.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. I will keep at least one jcm 800 forever.

Last edited:
As an owner/user of the PS2 I will say that it will add roughly $850-1200 depending on new vs. used to your budget.
I would also say that being a NMV Marshall I would want the PS2 or the like...

So that being said, for budget reasons Id go Germino, Friedman, Metro etc. so many others with MV's...
But if you got the cabbage and love to buy for nostalgia, go for it!

Is there anything better than a single channel NMV amp?

800's are MV....
Many better options for the money. Who knows what problems lurk in an ancient amp like that
Not all 800s are MV.

Pretty hard to beat a good 800 .

I have a completely stock 1986 2204 that even has original power tubes. Changing out the caps is no big deal, if he needs to.

All boils down to what you want.

Why do you have to trust UPS to package it ?? Seller clueless ??

and it would be easier to give a opinion if we knew what you were paying for the 800

GC down the street from me has a Helios 50 for 2000 ......... I'm fighting off the urge to go plug into it

Just sayin' the amp will probably over 2K, the Fryette another almost 1k. Amp will need tubes, etc.
Would pass and get a few years old Splawn that would walk it all day long

Which JCM800 are we talking here? The typical 2203/2204, the non-master 1959/1987 or the split-channel 2210/2205? In 1982 they were all around at the same time.

Anyhoo, the 2203/2204 is less loud than the 1959/1987 but to my ears still requires a healthy dose of PI saturation to fill out and therefore needs to be seriously loud. Louder than a more modern MV amp. The design brief probably was to make something that sounded sort of like the 1959/1987 but didn´t blow out the windows, rather than something you could use anywhere - and in that light they did very well.

My price estimation is wrong?
Splawns don't do 800 tones for 1/2 the price of this guys' possible investment??

Why do you have to trust UPS to package it ?? Seller clueless ??

and it would be easier to give a opinion if we knew what you were paying for the 800

GC down the street from me has a Helios 50 for 2000 ......... I'm fighting off the urge to go plug into it
All in 2250 shipped with UPS doing the packaging...the guy wont be bother with packaging it himself....

Which JCM800 are we talking here? The typical 2203/2204, the non-master 1959/1987 or the split-channel 2210/2205? In 1982 they were all around at the same time.

Anyhoo, the 2203/2204 is less loud than the 1959/1987 but to my ears still requires a healthy dose of PI saturation to fill out and therefore needs to be seriously loud. Louder than a more modern MV amp. The design brief probably was to make something that sounded sort of like the 1959/1987 but didn´t blow out the windows, rather than something you could use anywhere - and in that light they did very well.
82 JCM 800 2204

Just sayin' the amp will probably over 2K, the Fryette another almost 1k. Amp will need tubes, etc.
Would pass and get a few years old Splawn that would walk it all day long
I've had a QR and would rather try something new like the Bogner or Friedman....

I've had some high end amps come to me with UPS and Fed-Ex doing the packaging and they were just fine. I would just express the concern with the seller and ask him to send you pics of the packaging while at store. I've done that before.

800's are MV....
Many better options for the money. Who knows what problems lurk in an ancient amp like that
most not all 800s are MV; there are a few NMV, e.g., JCM 800 1987 or 1959, four inputs; basically a continuation of the plexi, JMP line; rare to find but they exist.

【New power tubes】marshall JCM800 1959 super lead mk2 1990s 【Offers welcome】

pure stock...owner bought it in 84, gigged it twice and has spent the rest of its life in his studio
I've had two combo amps and a 4x12 damaged by UPS in the last year; the 4x12 was brand new in factory sealed box; one of the combos was packed very well, the other not so well, but good enough vs the damage it received.

FedEx can't estimate their delivery time accurately, but so far they haven't damaged anything. could just be my area though

pure stock...owner bought it in 84, gigged it twice and has spent the rest of its life in his studio
A 2204 all stock that's been in a studio all its life for a good price. I'd bite the bullet, go ahead an get it, and hope for the best in shipping. Ask the guy if he can request UPS double wrap & double box it and send you pictures of the packing. Of course insurance is a must. Basically do/request everything you can to ensure a safe transit.

Back