1982 JCM 800

• Thread starter Thread starter BIGKAHUNA
  • Start date Start date
Is the 800 worth the risk and investment?
What's your quantification of "worth it"? Unfortunately if you're talking about amp experiences and comparisons I'm not going to be able to help there. Best of luck deciding! Unless you're talking about the same amp I've been stalking, in which case it's definitely a bad idea and not worth it, you should just get a boss katana. ;)

A 2204 all stock that's been in a studio all its life for a good price. I'd bite the bullet, go ahead an get it, and hope for the best in shipping. Ask the guy if he can request UPS double wrap & double box it and send you pictures of the packing. Of course insurance is a must. Basically do/request everything you can to ensure a safe transit.
I was thinking the same thing ....

My 2204 is stellar. The price is good for what it is described as.

Only you can decide.....obviously long distance amp purchases should be done very carefully.....easy to get screwed if not careful.

A 2204 all stock that's been in a studio all its life for a good price. I'd bite the bullet, go ahead an get it, and hope for the best in shipping. Ask the guy if he can request UPS double wrap & double box it and send you pictures of the packing. Of course insurance is a must. Basically do/request everything you can to ensure a safe transit.
I took a shot...hoping for the best. I've wanted and 800 for most of my adult life and it just hasnt sync'd up yet...have to give it a try. Looking at other prices its not going to be hard to get my money back if needed.

Thanks to all for the input.

82 JCM 800 2204
I do have a 82 jcm 800 2204 and it`s a stellar amp. I bought it as a combo and converted it to a head. The transition from low B+ to high B+ happened somewhere in 82. Mine is an early 82 with the a PV around 390 Volts. It came with Mullard 12ax7 tubes. I did put a EI yugo long plate in the PI position and kept the other two 12ax7 in V1 and V2.

This 2204 made me realize what people mean when they say, only a marshall sounds like a marshall. I always thought this is some kind of folklore some guy is saying to believe, his amps sounds better than yours. But after comparing it to my 2203 clone, I got the point.

You’ll also need a Griffin SuperDrive…a better SD1.
I sold out of those over the weekend ..... time to build some more ..... maybe go with a different color enclosure .... that Chromium color scratches way to easy for my liking

What about that hotmod thing. Does that work well for getting more saturation out of an 800? If so it might be a good option for avoiding the need for an attenuator.

1726596437018.png

I Love GC ....I realize it's always a gamble as far as shipping ....and I take the risk only because of their return policy ...

What I don't get is as soon as something is returned its shows back up in the listings for sale ....

I bought a Mesa Fillmore 50 on Friday night ... got a call Saturday morning telling me it was returned because the reverb wasn't working ... if I still wanted it they would knock 100 off ...

I opted to cancel .... the money still hasn't hit my account . ...

I almost bought that Helios .... and was going to pick it up on the way home . .

Thanks for the heads up !!!

I Love GC ....I realize it's always a gamble as far as shipping ....and I take the risk only because of their return policy ...

What I don't get is as soon as something is returned its shows back up in the listings for sale ....

I bought a Mesa Fillmore 50 on Friday night ... got a call Saturday morning telling me it was returned because the reverb wasn't working ... if I still wanted it they would knock 100 off ...

I opted to cancel .... the money still hasn't hit my account . ...

I almost bought that Helios .... and was going to pick it up on the way home . .

Thanks for the heads up !!!
Same. It’s worth the risk with the return policy. I sure was bummed on this one, I’ve been wanting to try the Helios for a long time. Sad to see a sweet amp treated with complete disregard.

Back