2-Factor Authentication Tutorials & Tips

• Thread starter Thread starter Smash
  • Start date Start date
I don't see why 2FA is now required but guys are still allowed to do that PP friends and family crap. You gotta be a real moron to make a deal that way, regardless of the sellers honor. A car accident, medical emergency, family emergency, death, shipping damage, etc. Way too many problems could arise to throw a wrench in a basic deal to be doing that stuff.

I would def never use the classifieds here now. Probably wouldn't anyways cause I like cash deals FTF. I agree with Dan.
We can't control the payment method someone chooses, this isn't a store and we don't make money from any of it. What we can control (hopefully) is peoples accounts here being accessed and their information contained here compromised to scam other forum members. We don't know or can't see any passwords.These scammers aren't doing Nigerian prince shit anymore

If you're talking about 2FA, you don't need to use your phone for that, there are other methods.

Edit: Also, if I understand roughly how TOTP 2FA works, you're not actually "linking" your phone to RT such that RT gets any info about you. RT just gives your phone some secret math info on how to generate codes it will know is for your account. Double check that though before relying on it for anything, I've not explored the standards 'n stuff beyond a surface level.
I recently did some transactions with psychodave which were stellar and needed none of that.
Just more layers of personal info of mine floating in cyberspace for when RT gets hacked and its not if but when.
My wifes student loan in and another place for her was hacked and State & hospital info for me since last year.
Scammerific -----

We can't control the payment method someone chooses, this isn't a store and we don't make money from any of it. What we can control (hopefully) is peoples accounts here being accessed and their information contained here compromised to scam other forum members. These scammers aren't doing Nigerian prince shit anymore
Not looking for a pissing contest but how does this work: "ADS LISTED WITH PP F&F WILL BE REMOVED, THANKS"

Seems pretty easy and other forums do enforce the same stuff. I got no skin in the game and with 2FA never will though so I ain't trying to sweat you, just that I've seen many asses burned on guitars and guns at various other sites when dudes fell for the F&F scam. No possible way to recoup your dough. No worries though japetus.

Not looking for a pissing contest but how does this work: "ADS LISTED WITH PP F&F WILL BE REMOVED, THANKS"

Seems pretty easy and other forums do enforce the same stuff. I got no skin in the game and with 2FA never will though so I ain't trying to sweat you, just that I've seen many asses burned on guitars and guns at various other sites when dudes fell for the F&F scam. No possible way to recoup your dough. No worries though japetus.
I simply do not understand why Rig-Talk would take steps to control the method, monetary or otherwise that a member decides to employ in payment or trade.

This as akin to putting a lawnmower for sale at a community pinboard. Then if the deal goes wrong, the party blames the person who put up the pinboard. And we aren't even selling anything.

I simply do not understand why Rig-Talk would take steps to control the method, monetary or otherwise that a member decides to employ in payment or trade.
If it's not on rig talk to handle then I see zero point in 2FA authorization either.

Well, I guess we could use Pascals Wager, but for scammers.
F&F is usually part and parcel of every forum scam.......anyways, not gonna ball break about it because it ain't gonna apply to me anyways.

Just more layers of personal info of mine floating in cyberspace for when RT gets hacked and its not if but when.
That's what I'm saying though, it's not requiring any PI or adding any, or at least doesn't require you to.

Here's an article I found explaining how it works:
https://www.twilio.com/docs/glossary/totp
TLDR summary:
Rig Talk generates a big secret number. You enter that secret number into whatever application you want to use to generate codes. You can even write your own computer program to do the generating if you wanted. When you scan the QR code (the square checkerboard looking thing), that's how you're getting the secret number from RT into your phone app (or whatever else you want). RT also shows the secret number below the code if you wanted to enter it by hand. When you log into RT, RT uses the secret number and the current time to generate a code, and you use your phone to do the same thing in an app. If the code you enter to RT matches the one RT calculated, you get logged in.

So there is no connection between your phone and RT, nor are you giving RT any personal info. It's basically a password with more hassle.

F&F is usually part and parcel of every forum scam.......anyways, not gonna ball break about it because it ain't gonna apply to me anyways.
Tbh I thought the whole F2A thing or whatever it is was lame but it literally took seconds to do.

As far as F&F I rarely do it but when I have and/or will there's only 2 places in the world I would do it and Rig Talk is one of them. Just have to do the research on the seller. There's a lot of respectable people here who have been selling gear for almost 2 decades man.

Tbh I thought the whole F2A thing or whatever it is was lame but it literally took seconds to do.

As far as F&F I rarely do it but when I have and/or will there's only 2 places in the world I would do it and Rig Talk is one of them. Just have to do the research on the seller. There's a lot of respectable people here who have been selling gear for almost 2 decades man.
I'm not doubting the stand up nature of rig-talk members compared to other places at all. I know guys are good dudes here, that's why I'm here cause the mods and members are a cut above every other guitar forum I've seen. I'm saying rig-talk members are not exempt from illness, death, tragedy, or some effed up shipping company error. Then what? Good luck getting "insurance" money back from UPS or FEDEX. Been there, done that. When you're selling 3,500+ dollar guitars using F&F and shipping cross country the buyer is taking a massive risk...

I'm not doubting the stand up nature of rig-talk members compared to other places at all. I know guys are good dudes here, that's why I'm here cause the mods and members are a cut above every other guitar forum I've seen. I'm saying rig-talk members are not exempt from illness, death, tragedy, or some effed up shipping company error. Then what? Good luck getting "insurance" money back from UPS or FEDEX. Been there, done that. When you're selling 3,500+ dollar guitars using F&F and shipping cross country the buyer is taking a massive risk...
Yeah that's a little crazy with that kind of money. I was talking about a boss ns2 :LOL:

I've also been burned by FedEx I will never pay for extra shipping Insurance again

I think there was a thread or two a while back where someone was able to get PirateShip's insurance to pay out. They needed to present copious amounts of documentation though, including pictures I think.

An obvious point perhaps, but:

If you were going to do F&F here, wouldn't you rather it were with someone who passed the 2FA test than didn't?

An obvious point perhaps, but:

If you were going to do F&F here, wouldn't you rather it were with someone who passed the 2FA test than didn't?

My man. You nailed it.

The point of 2FA is to eliminate the ability for old unused accounts with weak passwords and no 2FA enabled from being used to immediately try to scam people in the classifieds posing as someone they clearly aren’t.

2FA also assures even good people active currently are refreshed login-wise once in a while. It also helps compensate for weak passwords for everyone.

I’m not sure it’s been long enough but I’m hoping mods and admin can let us know on the cleanup side how much better things are.

I’m not sure it’s been long enough but I’m hoping mods and admin can let us know on the cleanup side how much better things are.
There's been one suspicious interaction, an old account that was resurrected specifically for the classifieds. Outcome not 100%-clear yet.

So far it's really just been a matter of responding to panicked PM's by reassuring folks that there's a lag between instantiation and the feature's actually "coming online".

Seems no matter how many stickies and threads cover the subject, hordes will still not know about it. You know how it goes. :dunno: :LOL:

I'll keep one of these threads posted 'though; I hear ya. :thumbsup:

Been selling here forever, no idea what 2FA is though. Thanks for any help.

Back