2x12 Cabs don’t get enough credit

• Thread starter Thread starter Bxlxaxkxe
  • Start date Start date
I'm pretty sure it's the opposite.

2x12s get all the credit while everyone shits on 4x12s and companies stopped making them.

I think most cabinets have uses that work, though there is really no substitute for a 4x12 for heavy loud stuff - no matter WHAT speakers are in the 2x12. Some of the oversized 2x12s get close, like the bogner, but at that point its so big there isn't much difference between that and a 4x12.
Yeah. That "almost there" isnt worth it to me. If it was, i would get a kemper or quad cortex and call it a night. I absolutely love my rig
rig.jpg

Last edited:
People used to rag on me all the time for "touring" with a 2x12 and not a 4x12 but as soon as you stick a mic in front of it in a live situation it kinda becomes null and void, I played for years with a boogie 2x12 and never had any issues with volume or tone, in fact I think the lesser bass response helped it sit in the mix better. I would never think of taking a 4x12 out with me ever. Just my opinion.

I’ve never liked them . What one you using ? I’d try it

2x12s are like 4x12s with two amputated limbs
1x12s are like 4x12s with, you guessed it, three missing limbs
Going direct/silent stages are like the living torso character from Metallica’s song One

I prefer full octopus mode with 2 raging 4x12s
This may be my weirdest analogy yet

I have an old Mesa half back 2x12. It sounds glorious with not only my Boogies, but also my Marshalls. No problems choosing that over one of my 412s.

2x12s get all the credit while everyone shits on 4x12s and companies stopped making them.

I think most cabinets have uses that work, though there is really no substitute for a 4x12 for heavy loud stuff - no matter WHAT speakers are in the 2x12. Some of the oversized 2x12s get close, like the bogner, but at that point its so big there isn't much difference between that and a 4x12.

Round these RT parts, seems like it’s all 4x12 talk. But really my point is it’s not about either one being better, but that they’re inherently different sounding and both have their benefits.

At the end of the day it’s all so personal. Just sharing my love for the 2x12 and its midrange emphasis. I can really get the mids to grind in a killer way with the right 2x12

my vertical oversized randall 2x12 gets very close and can fit in most front seats, but it just dosent look right on stage, especially with a bigger head giving it the T shape lol

Round these RT parts, seems like it’s all 4x12 talk. But really my point is it’s not about either one being better, but that they’re inherently different sounding and both have their benefits.

At the end of the day it’s all so personal. Just sharing my love for the 2x12 and its midrange emphasis. I can really get the mids to grind in a killer way with the right 2x12

It's all 4x12 talk because

1. in the room there really is no substitute

2. Literally every other guitar forum on earth never shuts the fuck up about how antiquated and heavy 4x12s are, and how they're so happy with their grab n go neodynium 1x6 and a quilter

As mentioned before though, there is basically no difference once you put a close mic in front, that's 100% true.

I rock a 2x12, a 1x12, and a couple 4x12s, it just depends on the circumstance - they all have uses.

I converted a 1965 4x12 into a diagonal 2x12 (scumback bm75lds) and it sounds fantastic - but it certainly behaves differently than a big boy cabinet

my vertical oversized randall 2x12 gets very close and can fit in most front seats, but it just dosent look right on stage, especially with a bigger head giving it the T shape lol

That's why I never put full size heads on my 2x12 lol, I HATE THE T

I have a 2x12 that sounds absolutely HUGE - as large and better sounding than some 4x12s I have played. I have another that sounds great, but nowhere near as big, and it would get swamped out by a 4x12. Funny how much a cabinet's build quality/materials/size matters.

I love my 2x12. I stopped lugging around a 4x12 years ago and don't miss it. I would like to have one again in the future, just for the sheer size and fun of it but I am definitely not missing anything with this AV75 loaded 2x12. Room rattling goodness.

I converted a 1965 4x12 into a diagonal 2x12 (scumback bm75lds) and it sounds fantastic - but it certainly behaves differently than a big boy cabinet
Did you close up the empty holes, or leave them open?

Did you close up the empty holes, or leave them open?

I made a new baffle. I A+Bed it though and I might actually put the open hole one back in - it sounds more like an open back combo or something, weirdly, especially the bass response

No 2x12 is gonna beat a great 4x12 in the room, but 2x12s record so awesomely. If you mic them just right, you don't even really have to post EQ them. Fun fact, your band's mix engineer is most likely filtering out all of the extra low end the 4x12 is giving you.

IMG_4437.jpeg

I made a new baffle. I A+Bed it though and I might actually put the open hole one back in - it sounds more like an open back combo or something, weirdly, especially the bass response
Yeah, it's an interesting cross. I run my 4x12's like that, 2x12's with two giant holes, and quite like it. But your mileage may vary. If you do swap things out, would love to hear a before/after.

Yeah, it's an interesting cross. I run my 4x12's like that, 2x12's with two giant holes, and quite like it. But your mileage may vary. If you do swap things out, would love to hear a before/after.

I was really surprised about how much of a difference it makes - i don't understand the physics of it at all, but there is definitely something going on with that

I'm actually not surprised you run 4x12s like that now that I've experienced it

I will have to A+B to know for sure, but I might actually like it better - it's certainly something different that changes the sound that i've never really thought about before

I already have a 4x12 and a monster sized 1x12 with an EV12L and a convertible back, so the 2x12 having the holes might give it its own flavor to differentiate it - the scumbacks are already monstrous sounding. Especially with marshall style amps they kill

People used to rag on me all the time for "touring" with a 2x12 and not a 4x12 but as soon as you stick a mic in front of it in a live situation it kinda becomes null and void, I played for years with a boogie 2x12 and never had any issues with volume or tone, in fact I think the lesser bass response helped it sit in the mix better. I would never think of taking a 4x12 out with me ever. Just my opinion.
Funnily-enough I found that the reduced bass response actually worked very-well for me playing bass live.

I usually used a Peavey 1810 bin (2 x 10" and 1 x 18") that whilst in-isolation sounded pretty-good (lacked a bit o' warmth IMHO), sucked for hearing myself on-stage.

During a competition once I had to use what was already on-stage and it happened to be a JBL 2 x 12" cab. I sat it on a chair for extra projection and it was hands-down the best combo (with my Peavy MkIV head) that I'd used when it comes to hearing one's self.

All that mud and welly the Peavy bin delivered with the 18" was useless and the contrast couldn't have been starker. The 2 x 12" produced a clear, punchy, articulate mid range with just enough bass that for the first time on stage I didn't have to strain to hear myself. Played better that night too because of this.

Anywho, I'll never forget that experience so whenever I hear the term 2 x 12" I get a bit excited. :LOL:

Back